Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
traveling by air in the u.s. with camera gear...

Hi all !!

I've never taken my dslr gear by air within the u.s. before....
I'd lake to take my k-x and a couple of lenses and would like some feedback
from forum members as to whether the TSA will give me any problems....
I don't see why, but I'd like to be properly prepared.....
Thanks, Dave M...

11-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Each TSA is different, but no you will not have any problems. Just tell them before the xray that there is a camera in your bag. Some TSA agents might have you take it out and put it in another bin. I never had to, but Im a pilot. Its rare but I have seen passengers have to take there cameras out.

When in doubt check your bag.

Have fun on your trip.
11-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

TSA may want you to open the bag and even wand it for "residue" but it is generally painless and quick. Might not want to carry one of the old takumars that are midly radioactive though... LOL

As for checking bags... I would suggest that you NEVER EVER check your camera bag. No way that $3000+ worth of gear is gonna be out of my sight like that. There are simply too many opportunities for theft (or loss). And you cannot count on those TSA approved locks to secure ANYTHING. Every cargo worker in the world has the key. For bags I must check I simply zip-tie them with a unusual colored heavy-duty zip-tie. The TSA can always cut it and then it's obvious that your bag has been searched, and if there is not a "TSA Searched this Bag" tag it has probably been tampered with by unauthorized handlers.

Mike
11-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I've travel seveal time in the past year with my K200d and about 6 lenses, enloop bateries, charger etc... and had no issues with TSA's screening. Just be aware, if you have any fluids in your bag, like lens cleaning fluid, you will have to less than 3oz I believe and you'll have to take those out of your bag and have them run through the x-ray seperately. Have a good trip!

Doug

11-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I cannot get their by car, bike, boat, or horse, I just won't go.
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are a couple of things to know, before travelling with a camera:

First, there are requirements for bag size to carry on, make sure the camera bag complies.

Second, don't forget to take out any tools you have (micro screw drivers, knives etc...) they are easy to forget.

third, not all TSA screeners accept things like monopods. these might want to go in checked baggage.

lastly, some TSA screeners may insist you take everything out of your camera bag (i mean all lenses and cameras), I have had this happen. I know it sounds stupid, but they may insist. it is a real pain, but...

Have fun where you are going, aside from the above there should be no issue.
11-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks all... i should've mentioned that this would be a carry on bag... trying to keep the bag and contents simple so as to avoid any issues with my tsa 'friends'.... heading to the wilds of northwestern pennsylvania..... hoping to escape the family get together and hopefully get some winter shots.... (alcoholic as well)..... regards, and happy holidays to all...... Dave M.

11-16-2010, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
surprised I get to be first to offer this, but:

Don't let them touch your junk!
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
surprised I get to be first to offer this, but:

Don't let them touch your junk!
Ha!
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
REM
Forum Member

On my most recent flights within the US and to Canada and back, I've had to take the camera out of my bag (backpack style, used as carry-on) and have them scan the backpack seperately with the camera in a bin.
11-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #11

Ive traveled a couple times, never had to take my"junk" out of the bag

But I always ask them just to show Im not hiding anything and to make them feel more comfortable.

I also make sure I take the minimum I need and nothing that may make them feel uneasy.

You can also go to the TSA site, there is a section on traveling with photographic equipment.
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've yet to have any major issues, and I've traveled many times with my camera gear. They usually spend and extra few minutes with my bag in the xray machine, and every so often, they'll ask if they can open it up and take a look at everything. Most of the time with that, as soon as they open it up and see that it is in fact a bag full of camera gear and nothing else, they say I'm fine without even touching anything. A few times they just wanted me to take a few pieces out and let them look underneath stuff.

I'm an advocate of never checking your gear. Most photographers, pro or amateur, are in the same camp. Will Crockett, who is a pro shooter, educator and blogger, is an advocate of checking his gear in Kata bags, and says he's never had an issue. I personally won't let my gear out of my site, ever. Especially when I'm traveleing for a shooting trip or an assignment. Having you gear lost, broken or stolen is bad enough on it's own, but being unable to complete an assignment or shoot the stuff that was the whole purpose of the trip is far worse.

I always carry on my gear in various lowepro backpacks. The few times I've been challanged on needing to check a bag due to it looking too big or due to lack of space, I've always just been able to just explain to them what the bag is, whats in it, and how important it is to them (VERY politely, not like an entitled a-hole) and had no problems with them letting me take it on, and even helping me find somewhere to put it. One time, I even had to play the dollar amount card. The plane was running low, and I was towards the back of the boarding line. The attendants were telling everyone in the back of the line that they overheads were full and we were all going to have to check our bags. When they came to me to give me the gate-check ticket, I just (again, POLITELY) told them that I was a professional photographer, that my bag was filled with over $10,000 of photography equipment, and that the equipment not only represented my ability to complete an assignment which was the sole purpose of the trip, but also represented my ability to make a living. She said no problem, and made sure I found a spot on the plane to put it.

I think the most important thing with TSA and airline people is to be as polite and cooperative as you can. They're only trying to do their job, and they deal with enough a-holes in a day. If you're patient and understanding they are almost always more than willing to do what they can to help you out.

And for the dollar amount claim, I would say try not to use that unless it's a significant amount and the importance of the gear goes beyond just the value factor or the fact that you need it to take family photos on your vacation. I really hesitated when I said that, but I saw it as my only option to keep my gear in my hands. If I was just going on a family trip and have a body and a lens or two in my carry on, I wouldn't have worried about it too much.
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
As for checking bags... I would suggest that you NEVER EVER check your camera bag. No way that $3000+ worth of gear is gonna be out of my sight like that.
Mike
I had a friend that lived in Florida for a few years back in the 80s. For a short while he worked loading bags on aircraft. Since he was the new guy, he was always the one outside. He said he was truely amazed at how fast a few of his co-workers could open bags, get stuff, and then hide it in their jackets.
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

FWIW, I've had fewer problems traveling with camera gear here than abroad. TSA hasn't even complained when I ask them to hand inspect film. In the UK, it was another story entirely.
11-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Had no problem with camera bag going through scanner. (Turn head and cough). But I did not like the fact that people who brought over-sized carry-on bags pulled them past the size-limit sign, then were allowed to check it for free, after I paid for a second bag up front.