Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How Did This Win?

BBC - Earth News - European Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010

I'm trying to understand how the cheetah shot won? Can someone possibly explain, cause I can't understand it.

11-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not all shots need to be sharp, etc. This is something like what you'd get if HCB went wildlife shooting, I guess. Different strokes...
11-16-2010, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
BBC - Earth News - European Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010

I'm trying to understand how the cheetah shot won? Can someone possibly explain, cause I can't understand it.
That's easy. Because, until that day, nobody was able to photograph a ghostly cheetah .
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have to agree with you. My trail cam takes better shots.

11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree. Why did that win compared to the other shots entered?

I have no clue who HCB is.

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
That's easy. Because, until that day, nobody was able to photograph a ghostly cheetah .
LOL!!!
11-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why did it win? I can think of a few reasons. Expert use of light on dark; it's a portrait in movement; it shows subtle communication between the photographer and his subject?

I do like a couple of the other commended images better, but the cheetah photo is superb in its own right. But understandably not to everyone's tastes.
11-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The same way a photo of barely visible people standing on a rooftop wins the World Press Photo of The Year. Judges who either have an agenda or who havn't any clue in the first place.

Showcase: The Best in the World - NYTimes.com

Or a captive wolf that is used to win last year's BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year...

BBC's nature photo competition judge admits: Winner photo investigated due to fraud allegations — Suomen Luonto

Mike

by the way... HCB = Henri Cartier-Bresson

11-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It's more abstract, has a mood and and breaks some rules. Something the judges found interesting, I suppose, because everyone can take a clean, sharp, well exposed picture today because the camera does it all for you. You just have to buck-up and practice. Sometimes pictures are judged on creativeness as apposed to technical excellence.

Last edited by tuco; 11-16-2010 at 01:47 PM.
11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I have no clue who HCB is.
That should be remedied. HCB = Henri Cartier-Bresson. He's all sorts of dead and famous. He's generally regarded as one of the original masters. His photos are all B&W and seems to sometimes look random, OOF or blurry. None I have seen have a strong first impression on me, but the longer I look at them, the more they amaze me. Whether or not you think he's all everyone says he's cracked up to be, he is at least worth your study and consideration.
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As for the image. I actually think it's pretty cool, but I hate the crop. But whoever likened it to HCB made a good call. It has that same thing about it, where I don't like it much at first, but the more I look at the, it just keeps growing on me.
11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

neat shot, but to win first place with?
11-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

HCB did the best that could be done with the technology of his day. I don't think any of his images were out of focus on purpose nor were they as random as they appear. Had he been shooting today I suspect he would be turning out sharp and carefully composed images. I think some photographers today emulate his look from some mistaken idea that it makes their images cerebral and deep but for the most part, they are just OOF and accidental. This is one reason I don't like the cheetah image. I also strongly suspect it was shot using a "trail camera" which to me is simply not worthy of this level of award. Other than camera placement, there is no photographer control or decision process once the camera is put in place. Any good photos are simply happenstance.

I actually like the cheetah shot to a certain extent, but I think it pales in craft and aesthetics to several of the other top shots.

Mike

p.s. the crop is the reason I suspect a "trail camera" a on-the-scene photographer would generally have framed it differently.
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Whoa, easy there Fullerton. I had no idea what the HCB reference was either, but that doesn't mean I don't know who he is. I initially thought HCB was a username here.

As to the image, I don't get it either. Not because it's blurry, or oddly composed. There's just nothing interesting about it. It doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't move me in any way. There's nothing technically intriguing about it that makes me pause and give it any thought. There's just nothing there, and IMO, it is the worst of the shots there.
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Whether HCB made a conscious choice to shoot OOF/blurred is irrelevant, IMO. The value is in the image, and people value his images.
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Looks sort of like a B/W version of Elvis-on-velour.