Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Insure camera gear

Hi,

I had a question about insurance for camera gear. Who provides such insurance and how much does it cost? What are the deductibles and how vested should I be in the system to make the insurance worth it? What are some things to look for when getting my camera gear insured?

I would appreciate your comments

Thanks

11-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Homeowners / renters insurance is suppose to cover that. Although I'm not sure if that's something you want to make a claim to.

Well, I don't know much about this subject, however I googled it for you and photo.net SOUNDS credible

camera insurance
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a renters policy that covers REPLACEMENT cost (not depreciated value) of all my possesions. There are no limitations or deductables for camera gear unless it is taken out by a tropical cyclone. Covers $20k regardless where I am in the world when its stolen/lost as long as the gear normally resides in my primary address. The premium is small enough I don't even remember paying it and includes a 25% reduction for being at least 55 yrs old. Its from Allstate only because the agent is a friend. I would guess every company has something similar.
11-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start by checking with your homeowner's or renter's insurance agent. Mine is about $6/mo when added to my homeowners policy and is a no deductible replacement policy covering my cameras and darkroom stuff. The company did ask me to list the items covered and an approximate value for each item. They never quibbled over the listings which were retail price for items in production and KEH top pricing for items not in production.

11-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

you know i'm reading about these insurance options and I just don't understand how they are not abused...

any thoughts on that?

[EDIT] wait - i'm not trying to suggest anything between the lines. I'm seriously curious as to the consequences the insurance companies put on someone when they make a claim on insurance that costs a mere $6 a month.

For instance, I know that when 3 or more claims are made on the regular home owners insurance, you more than likely enter a high risk pool and you are either dropped or your premiums sky rocket.
11-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
With my renters insurance, every time I make a claim my deductible goes up. If I don't have any claims for a few years, the deductible resets. I think mine starts at $100(read it doubles/triples, or more when it goes up). You can do the math. I'm not going to claim something that can easily be written off if it pushes my deductible up to several hundred dollars.
With most policies, I think you have to prove you actually had the item and that something actually happened to it...:-)
11-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a personal articles policy from State Farm on some of my jewelry and my cameras. It's quite reasonable and covers everything (homeowners tops out at $1500 and really only covers theft or fire damage from/in the home). It will not, however, cover equipment used professionally. I do have to submit receipts/appraisals (for the jewelry) and bring the equipment in so it can be photographed and they can note the serial numbers.