Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Question about Pentax Mirrorless

IF Pentax decides to come out with a mirrorless camera the size of a EP-2 or GF-1, would it be possible for Pentax to design the K-mount adapter with the AF motor built into the adapter. Pentax has the best pancake lenses on the market with the DA Limited line, and even the FA Limited lenses are small enough to be practical on a mirrorless body.

The ability to use the DA Limited glass (with full AF) on a Pentax mirrorless would be a huge selling point. My biggest problem with Olympus/Panasonic/Sony mirrorless systems is the selection/quality of fully functional glass for these systems.

If you could get a EP-2 sized body with the K-5 sensor and full functionality from your DA 15mm, DA 40mm, & DA 70mm pancake lenses would it be high on your wish list?

11-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #2

I'd actually rather see them develop new small limited lenses for a mirrorless system then just offering an adapter which would add an extra inch of fatness to your system ultimately negating the big plus of pancake style lenses.
11-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
I'd actually rather see them develop new small limited lenses for a mirrorless system then just offering an adapter which would add an extra inch of fatness to your system ultimately negating the big plus of pancake style lenses.
I'm with you, they can always come up with an adaptor like the others have
11-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
If they build new lenses with an SDM motor built in you are going to see a size increase. IF Pentax builds a mirrorless body I'm sure they will develop a new line of lenses, but after you put the motor in the lens how much of a size advantage would you have.

Then there is the cost advantage. There are a lot of people who already own the DA Limited lenses. I don't think Pentax has the resources to build a completely new system from scratch and still continue to develop the K-mount line up. Like the 645D and the K-7 or 4/3 and m4/3. I think we see a mirrorless system that shares resources and development costs to make it practical and competitive.

I do not own any DA pancakes, but I would be more likely invest in them if they could be used on both systems (K-mount & mirrorless).

11-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
. . .would it be possible for Pentax to design the K-mount adapter with the AF motor built into the adapter. . .

. . .If you could get a EP-2 sized body with the K-5 sensor and full functionality from your DA 15mm, DA 40mm, & DA 70mm pancake lenses would it be high on your wish list?
  1. Yes. But would they?
  2. Yes. Compatibility with K mount would have it on the list. Full functionality with any KAF lens would get to the top.
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If they build new lenses with an SDM motor built in you are going to see a size increase. IF Pentax builds a mirrorless body I'm sure they will develop a new line of lenses, but after you put the motor in the lens how much of a size advantage would you have.

Then there is the cost advantage. There are a lot of people who already own the DA Limited lenses. I don't think Pentax has the resources to build a completely new system from scratch and still continue to develop the K-mount line up. Like the 645D and the K-7 or 4/3 and m4/3. I think we see a mirrorless system that shares resources and development costs to make it practical and competitive.

I do not own any DA pancakes, but I would be more likely invest in them if they could be used on both systems (K-mount & mirrorless).
I just doubt that say for instance a k-x with a limited lens be much bigger then a mirrorless camera with adapter and limited lens. Besides that I don't think that people would actually buy the adapter + k-mount pancake lenses. The whole idea of the mirrorless camera would be that it'd become pocketable.

Pentax will probably make an adapter, but i just hope they will build the lens motor inside the body so that it is possible to actually make compact lenses for the mirrorless system, the adapter would then just be an extension ring.