Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Where to find pictures to print in 10x15cm(4x6in)

Hey, I've invested in about 50 small photo papers that I'm gonna print and hang up on my wall in my room, but I'm wondering where I can find some nice photos to print? I've tried googling after some travel photos as that's what I prefer, but I can't seem to find a place with many good photos. I've also tried flickr. Do any of you have any good tips to where I can find some? I prefer not paying for them and it's a must that they don't have a URL on them.

11-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's called infringement of copyright. I'm sure there are those who wouldn't mind you taking their photos without paying for them, but not all photographers are willing to give their hard earned photos away.
11-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Hey, I've invested in about 50 small photo papers that I'm gonna print and hang up on my wall in my room, but I'm wondering where I can find some nice photos to print? I've tried googling after some travel photos as that's what I prefer, but I can't seem to find a place with many good photos. I've also tried flickr. Do any of you have any good tips to where I can find some? I prefer not paying for them and it's a must that they don't have a URL on them.

HAHAHAHA, thanks for this coffee just sprayed out my nose and all over the keyboard
11-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

You could always go take some...

11-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
You could always go take some...
Let's not be suggesting anything too drastic, now.
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nimrad,

Technically that is regarded as thievery in most photography circles. As a photographer yourself please forgive us if we are somewhat taken aback that you evidently do not share that opinion.

Assuming though that you really want to do this, my advise is... Do not lift anything off of Pentax Forum's or any PF member's websites without their express permission. The only "legal" option you have to do this is to go to Flickr and search for photos which have a "creative commons" license specified. The CC license grants permission the says the photographer has given anyone and everyone to use the photos for whatever purpose they like. Other photo sites may have something similar, but the vast majority of serious photography sites specify that copying is not allowed and that the photographer is in complete control (legally anyway) of their intelectual property (aka photos).

Mike
PF Moderation Team
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nimrad
I'm pretty certain you were being sarcastic given the discussions you've participated in, Smileys help for people that don't get it ;-P

(I have addressed the issue with people who've lifted my pics in the past and am always dumbfounded buy their inability to understand copyrights and ownership. the prevailing attitude seems to be if it's out there it's free to take, thank you MP3 for yet another issue you created - aside from lowering sound quality standards)

11-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind amateurish snapshots here.

Camera buying advice from a professional photographer
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

LMFAO

I posted that link yesterday on the Thom hogan thread

(it also soaked the keyboard really gotta give up coffee or humour)
11-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nimrad
I'm pretty certain you were being sarcastic given the discussions you've participated in, Smileys help for people that don't get it ;-P

(I have addressed the issue with people who've lifted my pics in the past and am always dumbfounded buy their inability to understand copyrights and ownership. the prevailing attitude seems to be if it's out there it's free to take, thank you MP3 for yet another issue you created - aside from lowering sound quality standards)
Just for my own future reference, as I've begun putting images on Flickr and my site. Other than backtracking a linked image, how do you find out if someone has printed one. I'd image that'd be difficult. Also, in the event of a linked photo, how do you approach them, and follow up if the request is not acted upon.
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
TBH I never thought of that issue, and I understand your concerns. I mean, I am too a photographer and I know what copyright is. But one thing I personally wouldn't mind is someone using my photos for personal use. I will not take any photos unasked from anyone, that's why I'm asking. In these internet days there are free ways to get a lot of things, or at least cheap. Nobody until now has answered my question except boriscleto, but yeah, I did mind amateurish photos. I seriously doubt that there are no way to get photos of popular travel sites for free anywhere or at least cheap. Lonely Planet didn't offer me to print out my own, I had to order their print...
11-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Nobody until now has answered my question except boriscleto, but yeah, I did mind amateurish photos.
But he provided a link to what are definitely copyrighted photographs complete with copyright watermarks, so I'm not sure that wasn't a joke.

I think your best bet is to ask. There are some decent amateurs out there who probably wouldn't mind you printing a 4x6, they might even throw you a file without watermark just big enough to print decent at that size. It makes for a bit of work if you can't get them in big chunks but it's free.
11-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Just for my own future reference, as I've begun putting images on Flickr and my site. Other than backtracking a linked image, how do you find out if someone has printed one. I'd image that'd be difficult. Also, in the event of a linked photo, how do you approach them, and follow up if the request is not acted upon.
actually it is not all that difficult.

Someone took a few of my images, along with other forum members, and posted them on his flicker sight as his own, and was then careless enough to post them back on the pentax forums. OOPS

Generally speaking theives are not the brightest people going
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you interested in 300 photo sheets in 4x6. it's the cheapest way to get ink for my small HP Printer, 150 shot 4x6 print kit ink and paper included.
11-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

if that was what you are looking for than search flickr for items with a creative commons license that allows non commercial use , then look for ones you like with a big enough file for download, message the owner tell him/her and say thanks for the use of them. there are a large number of users who do allow use. As I have sold a number of mine over the years I generally don't (My flickr is 90% for the music work I do and the editors I work with have the password to access the downloads, it's simpler than FTP for me)
an example search below all with attribution only Creative commons (I.E you need to give credit for the work if you use it.

Paris - Flickr: Search