Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I don't care what gear you use...

... and neither should you. Hopefully this isn't too inflammatory. I just feel the need to say, seeing so many continuous threads about what lens is sharper than another, which camera is better than another, that these are simply tools - a means to an end. The final image is what matters. This is 99% your timing and composition, not whether you used a slightly sharper lens to shoot it than you had last week. The greats don't list what gear they used to capture the great images. They had what they had and they got the photo. I have taken better photos with the kit lens than I have with my nice sharp primes, and vice versa. Great photographers have taken great images using the most basic of equipment. Of course the tool matters, if you need that to capture the moment - and good gear Can help - but the emphasis should be very much on what you shoot. What matters is that you DO capture the moment. Gear is but a part of the role to get that image that has something to say.

The same could go for other technical considerations.
"What use is having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith

Use what you need to and be done with it! Thoughts?

Last edited by CWyatt; 11-24-2010 at 07:38 PM.
11-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a solution for you.

Step 1- pick a spot on a hard surface
Step 2- apply forehead vigorously
Step 3- repeat steps 1 & 2

Seriously, as long as there is more than one type equipment there will be the types of discussions that you bemoan.

It is what it is.

As to why these discussions take place I'll offer this- since I am not a machine rest or a very sturdy tripod I need all the help I can get when hand holding the camera to take pics. Higher ISO/faster shutter speed, shake reduction, faster/sharper glass… whatever is available at hand I'll gladly use.

Others may have differing reasons, but that's mine.
11-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To clarify - I don't bemoan choosing good gear. I use a K-7 and fast prime because it has stabilisation, is fast and not too noticeable. However I don't discuss it all the time, list it continuously, and feel that is or isn't why I get my images I want.

Last edited by CWyatt; 11-24-2010 at 08:13 PM.
11-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

A gear oriented forum may not be the best place for you.
Some sort of photo sharing forum might work better for you.
The Pentax Discuss Mail List is very good, not so heavy on gear talk, but a lot of images get shown and talked about.

11-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
... I have taken better photos with the kit lens than I have with my nice sharp primes, and vice versa. ...
Eh? I don't understand! (or maybe I do understand )

Love the Dorothea Lange quote; very true in my experience!
11-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #6

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Photography is 80% eye, 15% luck, 5% equipment. Do this exercise, get a point and shoot 4 or 4 MP digital camera, and a few photographers together, 5 subjects to photograph, one shot for each subject by each photographer. Then review the results, no photo shop allowed, all photos are revied stright from the camera, fixed lens 4 MP compact digital camera to be used and the sme camer used by everyone. This will show what I said by the first line.

Have fun if you do this.
11-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Elva Quote
Photography is 80% eye, 15% luck, 5% equipment.
Unless you don't have your gear, then it's 100% the gear's fault!!

11-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

.Use what you need to and be done with it! Thoughts?
Discussed to death.

Some people list gear so others can (hopefully not) ask about it, or at least offer some evidence of knowing something about that which they speak.

Neither always works.
11-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

PETA called and left a message. Something about abusing a dead horse.
11-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A gear oriented forum may not be the best place for you.
+1

Regarding your question: There is no question that the most important factor in getting a great image sits behind the viewfinder.

However, there is also no denying that the potential output is limited by the tools. Sure, a good photographer can get good images with the limitations of mediocre gear or even use the limitations to their benefit. But the degrees of freedom will be limited nevertheless.

Isn't it true that the greats all had their gear preferences (i.e., they didn't take a "don't care" approach) and achieved mastery regarding the technical foundation of their craft?

Once someone has found the gear that suits their needs, they can leave a gearist forum. If their one goal is good photography that is. Another valid goal could be to keep talking about gear. I wouldn't judge the merit of these differing goals. They are just different.
11-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple of observations here, but I agree with most of the pther posts too

- this has been beaten to death already
- yes, the biggest thing impeeding great photos is the person directly behind the viewfinder,
- a technically oriented forum may not be the best enfironment for someone who does not care for gear discussions

BUT

one thing I do see a lot of here, is when people try to impose their gear on others.

I am probably just as guilty as the next person in this respect, because, we all have our biases. But I do try to explain not a spefic lens or set of lenses for exaample, but to explain the thought process people need to go through in designing a kit.

Same with cameras, there are still lots of great shots taken with first generation 6MP bodies. After all, as I sit here with my 22 inch 1680 x 1050 pixel monitor, and realize it can only display 1/4 of the frame from my *istD at 100% resolution, just how much resolution do you really need?

But sometimes gear has an advantage, and that advantage is important. Just go oout to shoot something with a K or M42 lens, and a flash, and you will realize just how important having an *istD is over a K10 or K7.

TTL flash beats the hell out of manual or Auto flash.
11-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"What use is having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith
That is a fantastic quote! There's so much technically good but emotionally empty stuff out there. It's like plastic surgery - all surface and no depth.
11-26-2010, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the third post i've read that has been labeled like abused topic, repost, etc..and i'm quite happy this does happen because if not people new, that are just browsing ramdomly in their spare time might not read or participate in this topics..i wasn't looking for it just stumbled across this topic..

Then gear discussion..i like to discuss my gear and find the tons of feedback of lenses i'm considering to buy, it's fun and usefull..maybe its some kind of onanism where we get pleasure from something that doesnt have to be trascendental, maybe we discuss so much our gear as a way of enjoiying it (not only using it has to be a source of pleasure..) and that doesn't mean that other aspects of fotography aren't discussed..You can always go and post your fotos and ask for critique or advice, or you can view other people's fotos (there is a section of the forum where people do that:P)..
And to finish this post reminded me of this guy, he was a hobo who roamed the streets with his toilet paper cardboard, box and tape camera and made some beautifull photos...captured great moments with that 3 cent camera...he died not long ago..i wish i could remember his name.. if someones knows him please remind me his name
11-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I care.
11-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is MUCH easier to talk about things with quantitative measures (focal length, magnification, sharpness,etc) than things with qualitative measures (beauty, balance, emotional association, etc..)

I believe it is possible to quantify some of the more qualitative aspects of photography, but suggesting such usually results in a flood of objection.

The alternative is to whine about too much technical talk while making no attempt to contribute to critical discussion about qualitative aspects. Meanwhile I have no doubt that many artists have well developed internalized quantitative rules of how to assemble a qualitatively pleasing work - their difficulty in articulating those rules does not deny their existence....but boy do they hit the roof when I suggest sharing the rules by which they develop artistic works!

Perhaps as quantitative measures of image quality are publicly identified they will no longer be thought of as mysterious and therefore be removed from the emotionalist's hidden technological repertoire?

Dave

PS using a longer than normal lens for flattering portrait work is a good example of a technical technique based on/ influencing qualitative results; what's wrong with discussing this trick openly?