Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
E-Bay etiquette

Hey guys, there was a lens I'm interested in on E-Bay. The guy was asking a way high starting bid for the particular lens and no one bid on it, the auction just now ended.
Is it kosher for me to e-mail the guy an offer since the auction has ended? Do the same protections still exist if so and he accepted?

09-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Hey guys, there was a lens I'm interested in on E-Bay. The guy was asking a way high starting bid for the particular lens and no one bid on it, the auction just now ended.
Is it kosher for me to e-mail the guy an offer since the auction has ended? Do the same protections still exist if so and he accepted?
Only if you feel your offer is reasonable, in comparison to his min. starting bid. In other words, is it reasonable for the value of the item, and would you insult the person selling the item if you offered too low? To protect yourself, have him relist with a Buy it Now if you agree on the price.

I've done that before, and it's the safest approach for you. Ebay is always a bit of a risk, but plenty of positive feedbacks for the seller should allay that concern.

Cheers,
Marc
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can e-mail him, but it clearly states in the eBay terms that make a deal outside of the auction and you're on your own.
09-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Only if you feel your offer is reasonable, in comparison to his min. starting bid. In other words, is it reasonable for the value of the item, and would you insult the person selling the item if you offered too low? To protect yourself, have him relist with a Buy it Now if you agree on the price.
Cheers,
Marc
Great advice, ty.
I don't think I'll go there on second thought. I don't have very many feedbacks, only 3 or 4 and little experience and the last thing I want to do is insult somebody. The price I'm willing to pay is $10 less than the same lens went for over the weekend, which is $30 less than his start bid and that was $89.95 so he may just take that as an insult.
Thanks for the quick replies.

09-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep your eye on the items you're interested in and you'll get it. It took me a few weeks to finally snag one I was happy with.

I even lucked out and grabbed a 135mm Sears Macro Zoom lens f/2.8, new in the box and so clean, it was like it had time traveled.

Patience is key.

Another good hint, look for auctions ending late at night , particularly weekends. Those are easier to snipe.

And lastly, never bid your lowest price. Always bid the highest price you would be happy with and let ebay do its autobidding for you. If the other person/people stop bidding, you will only pay the least amount bid.
09-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wait a day or two. The seller will probably re-list the item on eBay, at a price lower than the failed auction. If not, as someone else said, another will eventually be available at the price you want.

stewart
09-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you ever do run into that, you can always contact the seller and ask them to offer you a 'second chance offer.' Then you still get all the ebay "protection."