Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hockey Shoot suggestions?

Im going with a photographer to shoot a hockey tournament. Ive played hockey, as a kid, but never been actually took a pic at a game, so Im not even sure how it would work.

Im sure shooting through the plexiglass has some challenges.

Any tips would be appreciated. thank

11-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hockey is often very dark, try to keep the shutter speed about 1/250 or 1/500 if you can. I'd say your 50-135mm is probably the best bet, or your 60-250mm. Depending on the body and what iso you can go to.

I've shot a junior A game, and some university and found that the lighting is very even across the ice. I ended up setting an exposure in manual mode and just sticking with it most of the game.

Good luck.
11-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will be able to get good shots by raising your ISO. Stadiums are very dark as omega leader says. A monopod will help as well.

The biggest problem you'll have is your white balance. The lights used for hockey stadiums change color continuously, and it will mess with your WB. Shoot in RAW and fix it later. You'll see that they go from white to orange and back from shot to shot.

If you are lucky, your photographer will have access to shoot through the port holes in the corners and you'll have clear shooting.

Since you know how the game plays, you should be able to anticipate where players will be. You can pre-focus on the ice where you expect them to be, or where the action will be and when they get there, you can fire off a quick burst (override the AF during this) and not need to worry about AF lag.
11-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
They will be selling pics at the tournament, so they wanted it shot in JPG. Im not sure if this place has any port holes, its a local ice rink.

I always shoot in M mode, so no worries there, was at least going to be at 500, and f4/800 iso (may need higher, but have no clue). I will be using my 60-250 f4 as I JUST sold and shipped my 50-135 f2.8 TODAY (of course) lol.

11-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hockey is a fast game and a fairly fast shutter speed is going to be needed. The rink is usually well lit even though the arena lights may be low which is a plus. Also the ice acts like a big reflector. I try to get a high seat and shoot down, over the plexiglass boards. This means a long lens but will also give you a much larger view of the whole rink. Getting down close, while fun for spectators, can be a tough spot for photographers because of the plexiglass and also a bad angle for shooting pictures anywhere else but right in front of you. The action comes so fast it's hard to get the shots. Of course, every venue is different and you may not have that hassle to deal with. Some youth hockey rinks don't have the high plexiglass, just a waist high wall. Get there early and try to shoot some of the practice session before the game and check out the histogram and the shots.
11-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't be surprised if you end up at ISO 12,800, F2.8, 1/500. Your eyes get used to the lighting but its usually not anywhere near as bright as you think it might be.
11-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
Im going with a photographer to shoot a hockey tournament. Ive played hockey, as a kid, but never been actually took a pic at a game, so Im not even sure how it would work.

Im sure shooting through the plexiglass has some challenges.

Any tips would be appreciated. thank
If you hope for 1/500, you for darn sure will be above iso 800. Unless there is no roof on this rink.

It would be more beneficial if you could get permission to shoot from a penalty box or bench. This puts you more at an advantage for getting closer to action at either end as well as a clearer image and lighting. The worst they can say is no.
You might want to increase your exposure value compensation by at least .7 to make things a little easier. But check it first. Maybe use center spot metering as well. Oh but you said you are shooting manual.
You might do better trying to more or less predict some shots rather than trying to chase them. And all your shots don't need to include the action of a play. Be aware of things that will present themselves away from the action. Line changes, referees, teammates talking on the bench, a player with his head down or visibly disappointed when his team gets scored on.
And don't forget the goaltenders.

11-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well just got done, went well and kind of as expected and as people had said here. Lighting was horrible, then they would dim them between games and it would take a period to get them fully up to speed, so that was interesting.

So I started at f4, 500 iso 3200, and +1 EV, shooting through the glass. I liked the angle since I could get them coming straight at me. But, the glass, as i thought, made the shots look soft and darker.

So i went to the penalty box, came down to iso 1600 and wow, what an improvement! Still will have to brighten them in PP a touch, but really wasnt that bad right out of the camera.

I thought about center spot, but just kept it center weighted. Seemed to do fine.

Got some greats shots, line changes, hard body checks, one timers, fights lol and got paid, what could be better! Thanks everyone for the help!
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
BCG

I would recommend you ad at least +1 to the exposure. The cameras meter wants to average the exposure to 18% gray, so the ice won't look white like it does to your eye. I shot some photos of recent Washington Capitals game from high in the cheap seats with my 18-200 with ISO locked at 1600 and they turned out great. Used Picasa to balance them by using the eye dropper to set the color temp and then used the highlights slide to whiten the ice.