Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Please ctitique my travelling photo kit

I'll be flying into London to visit my daughter in early November. The plan is to stay there for a few days and then take a train to Paris. After a few days, we are going to take a tain somewhere else (not sure yet, maybe Austria).

I mostly take outdoor pictures, but we will be spending time inside the touristy places. This is my current photo arsonal. What would you take? What would you leave home? What am I missing?
  • K10D
  • Sigma 17-70
  • Pentax 50-200
  • Pentax 50mm f1.4
  • 10 Gb CF cards (two 4gb and three 2gb)
  • Pentax 5540 FGZ Flash
  • Lowepro Slingshot 200 Bag
  • Circular Polorizer Filter
  • IR Filter
  • 2 extra camera batteries

I'm trying to avoid taking my laptop on this trip. I'm told that I am a workaholic, and I need to get away from work for a while. That was going to be my place to store photos so that a can reuse the memory cards. Right now, the plan is to take enough memory cards for the trip and not do any backup. Is there a better way?

If I want to spend a day walking around with just the camera and Sigma lens, is there a good bag for that?

Please let me know what you'd bring or leave home.

Thanks,
-Larry

09-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off... I assume you mean you have SD cards rather than CF cards...

For backup and to clear your cards look at the Wolverine Flash Pac. Portable storage without a computer required. Some have review screens (expensive) and some don't (less espensive and work just as well)

I like the Tamrac Pro Digital Zoom 7 which can carry the K10D with battery grip and either of your zooms. Need to carry the other zoom, you can mount a lens pouch to the side of the bag.

If you don't have the battery grip the Tamrac Digital Zoom 4 should work.

Lowepro has similar bags but they don't seem to taper as much and the cameras flop around more.

List looks good to me. Have fun on your trip...

p.s. don't forget your battery charger...

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-25-2007 at 07:08 AM.
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Add the following..

1. Lens cloth
2. Lens cleaner
3. Blower
4. Sensor cleaner
5. Mini tripod (6" or so closed)
6. Condoms
09-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Add the following..

1. Lens cloth
2. Lens cleaner
3. Blower
4. Sensor cleaner
5. Mini tripod (6" or so closed)
6. Condoms
Tom,

Since my wife cannot join me on this trip, I cannot see how #6 would be good for my health, should my wife do a pre-trip inspection on my luggage.

Good idea on the cleaning equipment.

Anyone have a recommendation for a mini tripod?

-Larry

09-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote
I'll be flying into London to visit my daughter in early November. The plan is to stay there for a few days and then take a train to Paris. After a few days, we are going to take a tain somewhere else (not sure yet, maybe Austria). (snip) This is my current photo arsonal. What would you take? What would you leave home? What am I missing?
  • K10D
  • Sigma 17-70
  • Pentax 50-200
  • Pentax 50mm f1.4
  • 10 Gb CF cards (two 4gb and three 2gb)
  • Pentax 5540 FGZ Flash
  • Lowepro Slingshot 200 Bag
  • Circular Polorizer Filter
  • IR Filter
  • 2 extra camera batteries

(snip) Please let me know what you'd bring or leave home.

While we're critiquing...

1. You misspelled critique.
2. Your math is wrong (4 + 4 + 2 + 2+ 2 = 14 GB).
3. It's GB (gigabyte), not Gb (gigabit).
4. Someone else already mentioned the SD card.
5. Pentax AF-540FGZ flash.
6. You misspelled polarizer.

Seriously, I agree with the idea of adding cleaning gear for the camera and lenses. Also, the nights come fairly early (6-7 PM) and the daylight hours are often overcast in Northern Europe during November, so you may want to lug along a good, lightweight, full-size tripod.

Also, since you'll often want some additional light (perhaps even during the daytime), consider adding a set of extra rechargable batteries for that flash unit. Also make sure the charger for those batteries is capable of handling 110-240v.

Finally, you'll need some wall plug adapters for those battery chargers. Otherwise, you'll find yourself with a handful of dead batteries with no way to plug in the chargers to recharge them. Since you intend to hit several countries, pick yourself up a universal set like this $17 one from Radio Shack. The top center adapter is for outlets in the UK, while the one just below it (two-prong Europlug-style) will probably get you through the rest of Northern Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria). Note these are simply plug adapters, not voltage converters (the reviewer on the Radio Shack website who burned up his computer obviously didn't understand that).

Beyond that, you seem to have the basics covered.

stewart
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For the battery charger adapter wait till you get to Heathrow or Gatwick and get one from the DutyFree.

I use the Fujifilm adapter Fujifilm launches world travel adapter - Pocket-lint.co.uk - gadget news and reviews works on both side of the Atlantic (and Pacific). I've used it here and in different places in Europe. Worth it.
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #7

I highly recommend a Kata E-690 GDC Elements Cover for the rain. See it here:
Kata | E-690 Elements Cover | KTE690 | B&H Photo Video

You might have some issues fitting the 17-70 thru it though. Its a rather medium size lens opening and I believe the 17-70 is on the larger side of things.

A couple of ziploc bags. 2 Gallon sized and maybe one or two smaller ones. You never know when they'll be handy and they take almost no room. I ended up using one when a friend sprained an ankle quite badly and put ice in it.

I used an Ultrapod II Tripod (REI: Outdoor Gear & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Skiing, Kayaking, Canoeing & More) with a *ist DS & Tam 28-75 2.8 and it worked just fine. A K10D with a 17-70 is probably too much weight but the 50 or 50-200 should work fine.

Also, what are you going to do with your photo equip when you are running around with just a K10D & 17-70? Hope you don't leave it in a hotel room.

Also take time to read the Heathrow regulations on carry on items etc. They are different from US regulations and quite restrictive. I assume you'll be coming back via London. If not disregard but remember even if your flight originates elsewhere the restrictions can apply if you have a connection thru Heathrow.

09-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.

I looked at my battery charger, and I see that it says 100V-240V, so I'm guessing there isn't a voltage problem. But I will need the outlet adapters like several mentioned. Right?

Mike, I really like the look of that bag for a day/walkaround use. Do you carry it like a backpack? Or is it more of an over-the-shoulder bag?

-Larry
09-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay, at 100-240v, no problem with the voltage. However, you'll definately need the plug adapters. Really just the two described in my previous message (UK and Europlug). As I said, the one will obviously take care of the UK and the other the rest of Northern Europe. I've rewired my K10D's battery charger (purchased in the USA) with a Europlug, but use a UK adapter with it while visiting there every few weeks.

stewart
09-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Stu, good recommendation but, why limit? Get one where you don't have to worry about an adapter again - no matter where you, other members of the family and friends might be visiting.
09-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not trying to limit his choices, JC. Instead, I'm just suggesting the very minimum needed. If he wants to add more than that, that's certainly just fine. But he will, at the very least, need something like the two suggested.

stewart
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote

Mike, I really like the look of that bag for a day/walkaround use. Do you carry it like a backpack? Or is it more of an over-the-shoulder bag?

-Larry
Larry, Both of the bags I mentioned are holster style bags. I mostly use them as over the shoulder bags, but they have belt loops so you can string them onto your belt. When I use them this way I normally carry them just in front of my left side pants pocket (sort of a cross-draw arragement). This makes sitting down a little hard if the chair has arms but its great for easy access on the run and also makes it almost impossible for a thief to grab-and-go...
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Larry, Both of the bags I mentioned are holster style bags. I mostly use them as over the shoulder bags, but they have belt loops so you can string them onto your belt. When I use them this way I normally carry them just in front of my left side pants pocket (sort of a cross-draw arragement). This makes sitting down a little hard if the chair has arms but its great for easy access on the run and also makes it almost impossible for a thief to grab-and-go...
Thanks Mike. That sounds like just what I am looking for! Oh, and I loooked at that Wolverine Flash Pac. Very cool.

Although, I'm looking over at your avatar, and I'm not thinking "Hey, let's steal that guys camera"

-Larry (5'7" (if I stand on my toes) and thick glasses)
09-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you going to carry all of this stuff around with you all the time? That is a lot of stuff, you might find yourself changing things around so much that the "good one" showed up and all you will have is a 50mm in your hand.

On my month long trip last December, I quickly discovered that it was not necessary to carry everything in the world with me all the time. Sometimes even well thought out camera bags - just get in the way. When running around in the airports I had everything in one large bag - when out in the "field" I had a smaller bag (from Wolverine - ironic isn't it) that had my essentials. Which were:
*ist Ds
18-55mm kit
50-200mm DA
28-70mm Tokina AF Macro
300mm Vivitar 300mm f5.6 TX-K mount
Ultrapod II
filters, cleaning brush, small bulb blower, very small red LED flashlight, SD cards and microfiber cleaning cloth (I wear glasses too - but I used my contacts on the trip)
At no time did I carry all the lenses at once, Usually the kit and 50-200 or the tokina and 50-200, when I carried the 300mm it most everything else but the kit lens was left behind. There were a few images that got away because I obsessed over which lens to put on the camera. So, been there done that.

My suggestion, carry around the miminum of what you think you need. I took about 30 images with the 300mm - but I could have left it home and not had to hassle with it. I could have left the Tokina home too, I most likely will on my next trip - now that I have the FA 50mm f1.4. I also stopped carrying the tripod around all the time, saved it for when we were out after or near dark - I think I used it three or four times - could have left it home. My Wolverine never hit the small bag - always stayed in the room/appartment.

PDL