Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pro pentax shots with setup shots

Just wanted to tip about these shots I came across, they are from a japanese site, doing tests of the k100d super. A pro took several shots using that and it seems mainly the 31 and 43 limiteds.

Now the nice things here (apart from the extremely cute model) is that they included some setup shots! This guy has some large bit strange reflectors that he seems to love, they seem to be the only lighting used in the whole series, both indoor and outdoors. they give a very pleasant, soft and natural look that works very well in this series, in fact they are extremely well done, and using minimal equipment (altho admittably, high end lenses)

If you are thinking that you would like to take shots like these then remember to learn your lighting, thats the extra mile that will make you look like a pro (the site, as always, is Strobist: Lighting 101)

Now, for the links, the shots are on 3 pages, text japanese of course, but look at the shots, and then look at the setup shots to get an idea of how this was done.

links>
page 1
page 2
page 3

all shots have large versions, just click the pictures.

my favorite shot of the bunch:

09-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

and,
I may be an old knott head, but I think this young lady looks way too young to be posing for some of these shots.
09-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Asian girls tend to look younger than their age, the interesting point here is the setup used to take these photos, not the ethics surrounding them, though.
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to satisfy old knott heads, I looked up the model, and her bithday is
22 december 1987 which makes her 19. Now lets stop talking about the model and start talking about those big square reflectors

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
and,
I may be an old knott head, but I think this young lady looks way too young to be posing for some of these shots.

09-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
She's a professional model - Her name is Mai Ayakawa.

Here's the link to the pro modeling site:
スターブリッジプロモーション - STAR BRIDGE PROMOTION -

He's got some interesting setups. Quite minimalist.
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Minimalist indeed, but the results would make anyone jealous. I think my only gripe is the rather large catchlights you can see in the eyes, especially in the fullsize pics. I was suprised they worked so well indoors...
09-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think I've seen it before, but it is a great shot
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wasn't trying to be antagonist-Just didn't want this site to get a bad rap. I guess at my age any one under 25 looks like a kid to me. The lighting was very professionally done. It shows just how good the K10 with good lenses can shoot.

09-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
(snip) This guy has some large bit strange reflectors that he seems to love, they seem to be the only lighting used in the whole series, both indoor and outdoors. they give a very pleasant, soft and natural look that works very well in this series, in fact they are extremely well done, and using minimal equipment (snip)

He appears to be using store-bought fold-up reflectors. However, for those who don't know, it's very easy to make similar ones using cloth stretched onto a rectangular frame made out of metal or plastic plumbing pipe. If the pipe is not glued together, the entire thing can be disassembled for transport. Skills with a sewing machine are useful for sewing the hem along the edges of the cloth. But, if those skills doesn't exist, one can also use iron-on sewing tape, or just plain cloth glue, to hem those edges. A well stocked fabric store will have each of these.

Of course, the main light source is either natural light from the sun or artificial room lighting, with these reflectors adding the fill. Common cloth colors include white (soft reflections), glossy silver (stronger reflections), glossy gold (warm skintones), and black (subtracts light and adds sharp edges). Other colors can also be used for special effects. However, if you use colored reflectors (including the gold ones), make sure your camera's white balance is manually set to match the dominate light source. The Auto WB setting will attempt to remove the colors.

This type of lighting is especially easy to use since one can clearly see the results beforehand. Move the reflectors around until the desired look is achieved. Since no lights are involved (nothing else to buy), this lighting setup is also very inexpensive and can be used anywhere.

stewart
09-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Forum Member

Does anyone know what kind or seen that reflector he uses for sale online?
09-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I havent, but any reflector should be the same, if its the same type (eg silver, white, gold), its just a matter of different sizes, most that I have seen, and the one that I have, are round. I havent seen the type that he uses anywhere, but the effect should be similar if not the same with a round one. Remmeber that the round ones do fold down to a much smaller size and are very lightweight so it can be a very nice tool to carry along when you are outdoors. I believe you can make a silver one just by putting some silver aluminium foil on a suitable surface.
09-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #12
Inactive Account

You can go down to the local auto store and see if they sell those car window shades that you place in the front window to keep the sun out. Some models are easily foldable into a small package (You get two of them), and they have a foil and a white side to them. I used to use these in the classroom to good effect. Oh and its dirt cheap also.
09-30-2007, 05:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry to bring this topic back up but ...

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
and,
That's how it is in Japan. Although the model in the photo above looks 18+, there are tons of photobooks out for music idols who are under 18. It's just the norm over there; much different than in the States or elsewhere.
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought PVC pipe and elbows to make my own, but realized I had two pop-up car windshield sun reflectors so I use those. Mine are silver on one, blue on the other, so I don't use them that often, but they certainly do come in handy.

One of these days I will build my PVC pipe reflector, just need to convince my mother-in-law to lend me her expensive sewing machine
10-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many years ago, photo magazines and books recommended catrrying a moon blanket. These were sold as heat reflective thermal survival blankets, which were really nothing more than metalized polyester. They make great reflectors.