Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Paria Canyon or Death Valley

I will be in Las Vegas the end of February and will have 3 or 4 days to explore and shoot.
Trying to decide between Paria Canyon "the Wave" or Death Valley both of which are within a reasonable driving distance. I have been to the the southwest 9 times in the last 5 years after various trade show trips to Vegas and have a fairly good idea of what to expect weather wise.

Has anyone been to either and can offer advice ?

12-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Death Valley is rather spread out. There is a fair amount of driving between the features on the map. Definitely a nice place.

I would also suggest Valley of Fire which is just under an hour north of Las Vegas.
12-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, not sure how thoroughly you've researched the Wave, but permits are required most, if not all, of the year. I think there's a waiting list, though there are some "day of" permits allotted as well. I don't know the exact process, but I've looked into it before. I'm only suggesting you check out the BLM web site to make sure you don't get out there and get nailed for not having a permit.

PS - Have you been to Zion and Bryce Canyon?

Last edited by gnaztee; 12-09-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added PS
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
PS - Have you been to Zion and Bryce Canyon?
Bryce is at elevation and can get a bit nippy in February. Hey, it was quite brisk the last time I was there in April! Armagosa Valley and Death Valley should be quite pleasant, and with any luck that's wildflower blossom time. Zion Canyon (down below) should be nice; venturing up towards Cedar Breaks will be COLD.

I can't talk about Paria, haven't been there. North from Vegas: Valley of Fire and Zion are great, Caliente is interesting, but don't bother with Rachel / Area 51. South from Vegas: Hwy 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg is fabulous! And don't miss the Bagdad-Hillside-Kirkland cutoff to Prescott. West from Vegas: Tecopa Hot Springs, Death Valley, Darwin, the Trona hoodoos -- some of my favorite country.

12-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Death Valley is awesome.

And hot.

It was 120°F (49°C) when I was there in September 2009.

Very scenic. Very alien. Very ... hostile. I liked it!!!
12-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Bryce is at elevation and can get a bit nippy in February. Hey, it was quite brisk the last time I was there in April! Armagosa Valley and Death Valley should be quite pleasant, and with any luck that's wildflower blossom time. Zion Canyon (down below) should be nice; venturing up towards Cedar Breaks will be COLD.

I can't talk about Paria, haven't been there. North from Vegas: Valley of Fire and Zion are great, Caliente is interesting, but don't bother with Rachel / Area 51. South from Vegas: Hwy 93 between Kingman and Wickenburg is fabulous! And don't miss the Bagdad-Hillside-Kirkland cutoff to Prescott. West from Vegas: Tecopa Hot Springs, Death Valley, Darwin, the Trona hoodoos -- some of my favorite country.
Was just in Zion and Bryce over Thanksgiving weekend...snow in both places. However, they kept the roads in great shape around Bryce, as we left during a snow storm. Both are gorgeous in the snow. My wife and I are on a quest to visit all 58 National Parks (26 and counting, married in Yosemite), and from the parks I've seen so far, Zion has few rivals for beauty and grandeur (I'd put it very close to Yosemite, Teton, Grand Canyon for beauty, but it's smaller and more intimate.

Anyway, I realize the OP didn't ask about either of these parks, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway, as Zion is closer than the Wave, and Bryce another 1.5 hours. One more thing: if you go to Zion, rent the drysuit package in Springdale and walk up the Virgin River Narrows a couple of miles. We did it with the air and water temps in the 30s and were not cold in the least. Beatiful hike and well worth the $100 for two drysuit rentals!

Can't resist:

12-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The number one question is whether you want to shoot redrock or stark desert landscapes. If you love Death Valley photos then go there. If not head east.

The closest lovely rock to Las Vegas is in Red Rock State Park, just 20 miles west of town. It's a great quick getaway if the hype and glitz get too much. The cliffs can be stunning at sunrise. There's also some spectacular, if not red, cliffs, just downstream from Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. If nothing else, it could be worth the extra couple of hours it would add to the drive east to Utah or Arizona.

Consider the Valley of Fire State Park, as Special K suggested. It's awesome and easily worth a couple of days. It's quickest to take I-15 to SR 169 and head east rather than go up by Lake Mead. Much faster, though the desert can be stunning sunrise and sunset. Photography there is a bit more intimate than the great vistas of Death Valley or the Wave. That's a another consideration.

I'm a big fan of Snow Canyon State Park just north of St. George, UT, also worth a day or two. Landscapes are similar to the Valley of Fire. Then Zion is just another hour further beyond St. George. You'd have to drive through it to get to Pariah anyway. Bryce is pretty high and the snow usually limits access this time of year, even if the roads are open.

Pariah is great if you can get a permit, have the time (it's a good 5 hours from Vegas just to the trailhead), and get decent weather. 4 days is reasonable, 3 might feel a bit rushed. It's certainly worth a photo vacation on its own, especially since it's so near the Coral Pink Sand Dunes National Monument and Page, AZ, with Antelope Canyon (slot canyon). Zion and Bryce are close, too. Late February is usually reasonable, but the weather is colder and damper than around Vegas. It can snow there. A month later would be my choice of season to visit Pariah. Later spring for best light in Antelope Canyon, though it can be hot then.

If the weather looks nasty, Death Valley is a great fallback option, but since the best locations are spread out you may only get one each in evening and morning. However, since it's so close, you can drive and shoot on the same days.

Wouldn't recommend Prescott, AZ. The Granite Dells are nice. I'm visiting my Mom there for New Year, but, they're not worth the drive from Vegas with so many closer and more spectacular locations. Though nearby Sedona AZ, and Cottonwood Canyon offer great photo ops.

If you're into bird photography, the Henderson (now a Las Vegas suburb) sewage treatment plant has some great duck photo opportunities. It's a pleasant surprise, and hosts lots of species in the winter. Don't worry, the water is safe for the birds.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 12-15-2010 at 07:01 PM.
12-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just visited the Valley of Fire last weekend. I would like to go again. I wasn't driving or I would have spent more time there. I also visited the Red Rock park. Nice. But if given a choice the Valley of Fire hands up.
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
gnaztee
Yes I know about the permit process and have contacted BLM. They say I should have a good shot considering the time of year I will be in the area. I have twice been to Bryce and Zion as well as Kodachrome Basin, Coral Pink Sand Dunes.

Mystic
My concern is the snow. I typically am in Las Vegas during winter trade show season and I usually tack on 4-7days (my company is tied to the construction industry so our trade shows are generally during down time) The first three years I lucked out weather wise as it was generally warm and dry for the time of year. Lately things are more normal, colder with snow covered trails. Got snowed out of Cedar Breaks last year and the trails at Bryce were ice crusted and knee deep. Since I am often alone I pay close attention to weather and prefer good trail conditions.

EyeSpy
I have seen Valley of Fire on a map went to the web site and it looks interesting as well as very close.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Rio
I have been to the Pinnacles at Trona and I will check out your other tips

Last edited by artifax1; 12-17-2010 at 07:36 PM.
07-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripped over this thread by chance....how did the trip go? Did you get to Paria etc and was it worth it?
Also interested in your Kodachrome Basin thoughts.
Cheers
Grant