Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Ed in GA

Need help selecting a printer

I have an HP Deskjet 5600 Printer that is, apparently, going south on me.

When I print an 8 x 10 photo, I get about 3 inches of properly printed colors the the rest of the print has a deep purplish cast to it.

So, I think it's time for a new one.

I'm not wanting to spend any more than about $250 on a good printer and I'd prefer one that is not an "all-in-one".

Suggestion re: what brand, model & etc would be appreciated.

09-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Choosing a printer today is often more difficult than choosing a camera, with the camera obviously much more satisfying. I bought a Canon MP510 a couple of months ago and, while it prints nicely, it drinks darn expensive ink like there's no tomorrow. That fact suggests this is the last Canon printer purchased by me. There just has to be a decent printer out there which uses less expensive ink and, in the process, doesn't drink that ink like a drunken sailor drinks alcohol.

Obviously, none of this helps you much since the MP510 is a multifunction. Instead, just consider it an expression of empathy for you in your task.

stewart
09-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been very happy with my Epson Photo Mate. The per price print breaks down to a few cents cheaper than if I sent it out, and, to be honest, when I compare the prints to my dad's Canon dye-sublimated printer, I think mine look very vibrant. If I print anything bigger than 4x6 (the printer's limitations) I send it out. And all for just under $200 bucks.
09-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just bought a new wireless lexmark x4550 and I love it, but I don't bother with printing photos at home anymore. Costs more than a lab, and the quality is never as good.

09-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm partial to the Epson. Have had no issues with longevity and 8x10's come out great. The new inks are outstanding. The Stylus 1400 lists $349 but can be found on the street for less.