Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting Xmas Parade Tonight--Kit or Tak?

Tonight is my city's mega-fabulous holiday parade, so naturally, I'll be taking pictures so I can make fun of this spectacular on my new website.

For assignments like this, I usually just use my 18-55 kit, basically because it's the only zoom and the only automatic lens I own.

I can get real close to the "action," and the street is well lit, so do you think should I give any thought at all to sticking one of my Taks on there instead?

12-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would take 3 , the 35, 55 and 85 and depending on where you are situated pick the best for that location. The 35 and 55 are small enough but the 85 might draw some attention and scare away some candids but it would be pretty good for isolating someone on a drawn stage for example.
12-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I would take 3 , the 35, 55 and 85 and depending on where you are situated pick the best for that location. The 35 and 55 are small enough but the 85 might draw some attention and scare away some candids but it would be pretty good for isolating someone on a drawn stage for example.
Makes sense, and I'll stick the kit lens in the bag just to have.

I have a feeling it will mostly be 35, because I can get real close to everything.

It's not like the people watching are 2-deep or anything.
12-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would take my 28/50/100 so similar choices, but i would likely take 2 bodies so i wasn't fumbling to change lenses and miss a good shot (the 100 and the 28 on the cameras the 50 for low light)
the 50 i'd have in my pocket and the 2 cameras around my neck. back at home or in the car - I've taken to doing this for events I'm tired of slugging a bag around where i can't put it down)

35 is the perfect length too ira (i don't own one currently) Given that HCB shot his entire life with that one effective length (a 50) i think it's probably all you need really

Last edited by eddie1960; 12-15-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
12-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would take my 28/50/100 so similar choices, but i would likely take 2 bodies so i wasn't fumbling to change lenses and miss a good shot (the 100 and the 28 on the cameras the 50 for low light)
the 50 i'd have in my pocket and the 2 cameras around my neck. back at home or in the car - I've taken to doing this for events I'm tired of slugging a bag around where i can't put it down)

35 is the perfect length too ira (i don't own one currently) Given that HCB shot his entire life with that one effective length (a 50) i think it's probably all you need really
Not many on this forum will know who HBC is,I assume you mean Henry Cartier Bresson.
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Not many on this forum will know who HBC is,I assume you mean Henry Cartier Bresson.
Sorry that's the rangefinder forum member in me of course that is who i meant

I''d dearly love to own some of his work, but the proper prints are way out of my league. A friend of mine in London has several he got from his Parents. Apparently his father and HCB were friends. Great artist sounds like he was a bit of a cranky old bastard though (like many artists come to think of it, never mind just plain old bastards like me)
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm walking over now, and decided to just go with the Super Tak 35 2.

With an extra set of AAs in my back pocket, and an extra card in my front pocket.

I have to travel light, since I'll also be carrying a beer or two when I get there.

12-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm walking over now, and decided to just go with the Super Tak 35 2.

With an extra set of AAs in my back pocket, and an extra card in my front pocket.

I have to travel light, since I'll also be carrying a beer or two when I get there.
Looking forward to seeing the shots Ira, are you putting them in the 12 days of christmas thing?

Lately I've been really big on the one lens thing for walkabout, probably driven by the FSU rangefinders I've picked up.
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I missed the start of 12 days.

I only used the Tak 35 2, with some popup flash to boot! Major problems with battery power though, which I'll explain when I get home to post shots.

Basically, I had two new packages of regular alkalines, I always use lithium, and after like 10 shots, they read as dead.
12-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think I missed the start of 12 days.

I only used the Tak 35 2, with some popup flash to boot! Major problems with battery power though, which I'll explain when I get home to post shots.

Basically, I had two new packages of regular alkalines, I always use lithium, and after like 10 shots, they read as dead.
yikes, i always carry lithium for this very reason even though i only use them in the flash now that the *ist ds is gathering dust on the shelf

did you get the 18-25 year old nudes at least
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yikes, i always carry lithium for this very reason even though i only use them in the flash now that the *ist ds is gathering dust on the shelf

did you get the 18-25 year old nudes at least
Oy. I wanted to review my shots tonight and post, but not only don't I have the energy now, I have THIS going for me:

My younger son's Xmas guitar is supposed to arrive today via UPS, and I hate UPS with a passion. They can still deliver up until like 7:30PM, so here my wife and I sit like total a-holes all day waiting for it--and she wants to hit a few stores tonight to do some additional shopping.

I know that USPS postal workers go ballistic and do violent things, but the people at UPS are so fuc*ing lazy that they don't even bother.
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, 3 minutes after I posted the above, it arrived.