Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holiday Season pics ... what's your set up?

I am getting ready for taking loads of pics this Holiday Season ... my children coming "Home for Christmas", along with the nieces and nephews, brother and sisters ... !

I want to take some images really representing the spirit of the occasion with all the bells and whistles such as the Christmas tree, the lights and the decorations as backgrounds for the "human subjects".
I usually work with a wide open lens, as wide as I can according to the chosen lens, to give a touch of colourful Bokeh.

I'd just like to know what you folks out there use for camera/lens set up, including your personal and favorite.
Personally, I like a soft type of light and lots of soft Bokeh but at the same time trying to have "crisp eyes" from my subjects!

My lens choices for this year:

FA 31mm Ltd
FA 43mm Ltd
Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 ... I thought of taking my Tamron 70-200/2.8 along but that is one major load to handle!
(There are a few more but I think this should suffice)

... camera: K20D or K7 and the flash is an AF 540 FGZ, and a good tripod.

So, if anyone wants to join in and give their "Holiday Season Tips", please post here!

Cheers.

JP

12-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Camera setup for Family Members

My setup means that I don't have to worry about a decent pictures when I hand the K-7 over. So no manual lenses on the main camera a k-7. Probably stick on the DA 18-135, if it arrives before Christmas from Adorama..........

These will be supplimented with the DA 10-17 for wide angle fun and the DA 50-200 (unlikely). As a second camera I'll run a manual portrait style lens on the old ist DL2, maybe 50mm F1.4 or 55mm F1.8, I think or maybe the old SMC 28mm F2.8 which always performs well under these occasions. Or the 40mm F2.8 pancake.................If the postal system fails to deliver the 18-135 then the trusty DA 18-55 will have to suffice on the K-7 .............

Merry Christmas to all Pentaxian's Everywhere.......................

Last edited by Postumus; 12-30-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Additional agenda
12-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Postumus Quote
My setup means that I don't have to worry about a decent pictures when I hand the K-7 over. So no manual lenses on the main camera a k-7. Probably stick on the DA 18-135, if it arrives before Christmas from Adorama..........

These will be supplimented with the DA 11-17 for wide angle fun and the DA 50-200 (unlikely). As a second camera I'll run a manual portrait style lens on the old ist DL2, maybe 50mm F1.4 or 55mm F1.8, I think or maybe the old SMC 28mm F2.8 which always performs well under these occasions. Or the 40mm F2.8 pancake.................If the postal system fails to deliver the 18-135 then the trusty DA 18-55 will have to suffice on the K-7 .............

Merry Christmas to all Pentaxian's Everywhere.......................
Good picks for lenses.

I see that you'll use a lot of WA lenses and a "normal" focal as well.
For me, the "wide" angle lens will have to be the 31mm Ltd because my DA*16-50 is out for repair ... Yeay ... the dreaded SDM quit again.

JP
12-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #4

Yeah the SDM is a bit of a liability. Especially with warranty repairs.
WA can't go wrong...everyone gets on...little focussing......
I love the 11-17 but very easy to make mistakes....lighting contrast etc.....

The ltd 43 must be an amazing lens............................

12-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Postumus Quote
Yeah the SDM is a bit of a liability. Especially with warranty repairs.
WA can't go wrong...everyone gets on...little focussing......
I love the 11-17 but very easy to make mistakes....lighting contrast etc.....

The ltd 43 must be an amazing lens............................
SDM has been a pain for this particular lens only, and that is my second such lens!

Anyway, yes the 43mm Ltd is great but I still prefer the results with the 31mm Ltd .... not too sure why though!

For lack of WA during the Holiday Season, I will have to make do with longer focals .... which could be a blessing (I'll have to hone my skills!).

Cheers.

JP
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Assuming that the recently-ordered Tammy 10-24 (1) arrives by tomorrow (Xmas Eve) morning, and (2) is a good copy, it will likely see a bit of use at the local family Xmas eve+day gatherings. The non-local gathering will be in mid-January; I should know by then if the Tammy is good or not. Whatever its status, the usual suspects will also fill my carry bag: DA10-17, DA18-250, FA35-70, Zenitar 16/2.8, Vivitar-Kiron 24/2, FA50/1.4, Nikkor 85/2, Tak-B 135/2.5, all for varied indoor/outdoor situations. Why change?
12-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Assuming that the recently-ordered Tammy 10-24 (1) arrives by tomorrow (Xmas Eve) morning, and (2) is a good copy, it will likely see a bit of use at the local family Xmas eve+day gatherings. The non-local gathering will be in mid-January; I should know by then if the Tammy is good or not. Whatever its status, the usual suspects will also fill my carry bag: DA10-17, DA18-250, FA35-70, Zenitar 16/2.8, Vivitar-Kiron 24/2, FA50/1.4, Nikkor 85/2, Tak-B 135/2.5, all for varied indoor/outdoor situations. Why change?
Hope you had a good time taking XMas pics with all that gear!

I received my DA*16-50 just in time [December 24th at 3 p.m.] for Christmas (was at the repair shop for the infamous SDM) and I also used the FA's: 31 and 43 ltd. Looking good from what I could see from the rear monitor ... not uploaded to the computer yet.
I decided against the Tammy 70-200 ... too heavy, too cumbersome. I took the 85/1.4 ... never even thought of using the thing!

Cheers.

JP

12-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This probably comes too late to be of any practical use but FWIW, I've been using the K-5 along with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and the FA135mm f2.8.

I don't like to get in peoples faces (and we've got a big space), so I lean to the 135mm but the zoom comes in handy at times.

The light is soft and thin though so the high ISO capability of the K-5 is a godsend. The light is also mixed, however, which is a pp challenge.

PLUS, Santa brought me a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and I may give it a try at tomorrow's gatherings.
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
This probably comes too late to be of any practical use but FWIW, I've been using the K-5 along with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and the FA135mm f2.8.

I don't like to get in peoples faces (and we've got a big space), so I lean to the 135mm but the zoom comes in handy at times.

The light is soft and thin though so the high ISO capability of the K-5 is a godsend. The light is also mixed, however, which is a pp challenge.

PLUS, Santa brought me a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and I may give it a try at tomorrow's gatherings.
I have a 135/2.8 Vivitar Close Focus lens in my bag (just got it from the marketplace recently) and I never even thought of using it!! It's not AF but I am quite positive this would have done a great job at portraits. The IQ is just amazing at close range, and that is why I had bought it, but it never donned on me that it could also be used for "other things"!

Your Sigma 50-150/2.8 would be a great lens for the occasion as well, especially when, as you said, you don't want to get right into people's faces.
Did you use it for that during the Holiday Season? Do you find it comparable to the DA*50-135/2.8?

Cheers.

JP
12-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have a 135/2.8 Vivitar Close Focus lens in my bag (just got it from the marketplace recently) and I never even thought of using it!! It's not AF but I am quite positive this would have done a great job at portraits. The IQ is just amazing at close range, and that is why I had bought it, but it never donned on me that it could also be used for "other things"!
By all means, give it a try--if you have the space to use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Your Sigma 50-150/2.8 would be a great lens for the occasion as well, especially when, as you said, you don't want to get right into people's faces. Did you use it for that during the Holiday Season? Do you find it comparable to the DA*50-135/2.8?
Funny you should ask because I just unpacked my 2nd copy of the Sigma today so I'm sort of in the evaluation stage. It's substantially bigger than the FA 135mm though so I don't think I'd use it for family gatherings--one of the virtues of the FA is that it's compact and unimposing.

I've never touched a DA*50-135mm so I can't give you a comparison there.

Best regards and wishes for the new year.
12-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
By all means, give it a try--if you have the space to use it.

I will do that, for sure! I think my problem is that I have way too many lenses now.
By the way, this is a great portrait shot.

Funny you should ask because I just unpacked my 2nd copy of the Sigma today so I'm sort of in the evaluation stage. It's substantially bigger than the FA 135mm though so I don't think I'd use it for family gatherings--one of the virtues of the FA is that it's compact and unimposing.

I've never touched a DA*50-135mm so I can't give you a comparison there.

Best regards and wishes for the new year.
Let us know how what sort of results you'll get with the Sigma.

Best wishes to you and family as well!

Cheers.

JP
12-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My holiday setup is no different than my normal walkaround setup - DA 35 2.8 on the K200D.

In reasonable indoor light I can handhold the DA 35 at F2.8 and ISO 800. The close focus capability is nice for pictures of food or holiday decorations. It is a little short for portraits but I tend not to take many anyway.
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
My holiday setup is no different than my normal walkaround setup - DA 35 2.8 on the K200D.

In reasonable indoor light I can handhold the DA 35 at F2.8 and ISO 800. The close focus capability is nice for pictures of food or holiday decorations. It is a little short for portraits but I tend not to take many anyway.
Would be a great little lens to carry around indeed.
I do tend to take lots of portrait shots during those holiday periods (X-Mas, New Year, etc ...) because my children come to visit and they make great models!
So, I have used the FA's and the Zeiss 85/4 with half decent results ... not to be posted here though; just family shots.

Cheers.