Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
mothy

Touchy, Feely, etc.

If I had a wife, she'd be jealous.

My Soligor 35 f/2 is beautiful to look at and sensuous to touch. The best part is the aperture ring snicks & clicks: They're positively sumptuous!

Anybody else have a favorite photography sensation?

Last edited by mothy; 12-23-2010 at 01:52 AM.
12-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Handling Pentax M lenses is a pleasure, also with these the process of smoothly, almost effortlessly obtaining spot-on manual focus with a split prism + microprism ring focus screen. Yesteryear: how the image gradually begins to appear in the bath when developing b&w prints, the darkroom dim red-light athmosphere in general :-)
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
mothy

Hi Jolepp,

I too, enjoy the feel of manual focusing. And while I have limited darkroom experience, I like your imagery.
12-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a sensual aspect to photography, although most these days confine it to the superfical feel of how certain body styles fit in their hands. That's never done a whole lot for me.
I guess I'm showing my age here, too, but I'm with Jolepp. There's someting about the feel of MF on fine, old lenses, especially Zeiss. Pentax's Limiteds are pretty smooth, and many of them have optics that rival Zeiss, but Zeiss had a combination of butter-like smoothness and rock-solid construction that you had to experience to appreciate fully--sort of like a women I once knew.
Watching an image magically appear on submerged paper was a visual delight as well, but it is those focus rings I remember most.

12-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
mothy

Thanks, Ron. I'll have to put a Zeiss on my shopping list!
12-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've spent some of my youth in a darkroom. In my later years I began to prefer the lights on. I like every position, behind, in front, over, under or just near a camera. Just a woman thing I guess. I suspect my husband is getting me a new, long prime for Christmas. I'm excited just thinking what I'll be able to do with that. I don't really like zooms. In my experience I have had to be too careful so that they don't collapse before I am all ready to fire away. I take my time trying to satisfy my artistic urges. I hope he does not disappoint me again. He knows little about the kind of equipment I really desire.
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
I've spent some of my youth in a darkroom. In my later years I began to prefer the lights on. I like every position, behind, in front, over, under or just near a camera. Just a woman thing I guess. I suspect my husband is getting me a new, long prime for Christmas. I'm excited just thinking what I'll be able to do with that. I don't really like zooms. In my experience I have had to be too careful so that they don't collapse before I am all ready to fire away. I take my time trying to satisfy my artistic urges. I hope he does not disappoint me again. He knows little about the kind of equipment I really desire.

Well done.....

12-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

LOL. Good one Sparkle!

For me it's the general feel of metal lenses. There is this coolness to them which I find soothing.
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I'll admit to being a perv for naked metal lenses, especially German and Soviet. Those cool, compact, shiny bodies. All those clearly visible iris blades. Ooh, ooh. About my favorites to fondle are an Argus-mount Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (half the size and weight of a SuperTak 55/2); an Exakta-mount CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (ditto, and with 12 blades); the smooth M39-mount Jupiter-11 135/4 (with 11 blades). Ooh, ooh. Painted lenses just ain't the same.

Those are for fondling on their own. Mounted on a camera, I like the feel and action of my bizarre heavy Schneider Betavaron 40-125/4-5.6 enlarger zoom on 30mm extension; of longer (80mm to 160mm) enlarger and projector lenses on small bellows; of the little TeleTak 200/5.6 and the huge Lil'Bigma 170-500 -- mostly manual, but all lenses I must hold and feel to use. How can we feel lenses we don't touch? AF primes -- feh.

A manual lens on a camera alone does not guarantee a good feel. The tiny Industar-50/3.5 and Exakta-mount Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 pancakes are too small for sensuous manipulation. The Mir-1A 35/2.8 with its focus numbers at its narrow base feels best on a Spotty, or on my Praktica FX3 with its top-down VF, but not on the K20D with its overhanging flash snood.

And for an entirely different experience: a 35mm folder, like my Voigtlander Vito II, almost a clone of my long-lost classic 1934 Kodak Retina I, the very first 135/FF camera. No automation, no metering, no RF, no nothing, just the controls and my fingers and my brain. Used for a few months, control becomes automatic: judge the light and distance, then let instinct take over. And it folds down to the size of my 5mpx Sony DSC-V1, which is naked metal and almost as sensual. Ooh, ooh.
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'll admit to being a perv for naked metal lenses, especially German and Soviet. Those cool, compact, shiny bodies. All those clearly visible iris blades. Ooh, ooh. About my favorites to fondle are an Argus-mount Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (half the size and weight of a SuperTak 55/2); an Exakta-mount CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (ditto, and with 12 blades); the smooth M39-mount Jupiter-11 135/4 (with 11 blades). Ooh, ooh. Painted lenses just ain't the same.

Those are for fondling on their own. Mounted on a camera, I like the feel and action of my bizarre heavy Schneider Betavaron 40-125/4-5.6 enlarger zoom on 30mm extension; of longer (80mm to 160mm) enlarger and projector lenses on small bellows; of the little TeleTak 200/5.6 and the huge Lil'Bigma 170-500 -- mostly manual, but all lenses I must hold and feel to use. How can we feel lenses we don't touch? AF primes -- feh.

A manual lens on a camera alone does not guarantee a good feel. The tiny Industar-50/3.5 and Exakta-mount Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 pancakes are too small for sensuous manipulation. The Mir-1A 35/2.8 with its focus numbers at its narrow base feels best on a Spotty, or on my Praktica FX3 with its top-down VF, but not on the K20D with its overhanging flash snood.

And for an entirely different experience: a 35mm folder, like my Voigtlander Vito II, almost a clone of my long-lost classic 1934 Kodak Retina I, the very first 135/FF camera. No automation, no metering, no RF, no nothing, just the controls and my fingers and my brain. Used for a few months, control becomes automatic: judge the light and distance, then let instinct take over. And it folds down to the size of my 5mpx Sony DSC-V1, which is naked metal and almost as sensual. Ooh, ooh.
I have to echo these sentiments, At least in part. My Praktica FX3 came with an Isco Gottingen Wetanar 50/2.8 that is perfectly suited to the WLF of the FX3 but also fits my Kx like a glove. The Knobby knurled focusing ring at the face of the lens fall exactly at the tip of my finger which is all that is necessary to dial in the smooth and well damped focus. The only drawback would be that it is an auto preset apperature design that if you cock the lever you must take the lens off to depress the pin to fire it off. Although I know not to do so, Once in a while I will hand it to someone and inevitably the first thing they want to do is swing the lever

Eric
12-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Erkie. re your: "Once in a while I will hand it to someone and inevitably the first thing they want to do is swing the lever." .

I say if you got it baby, swing it!
12-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
mothy

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
I've spent some of my youth in a darkroom. In my later years I began to prefer the lights on...
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
...naked metal and almost as sensual. Ooh, ooh.

Wow. Excuse me while I go take a cold shower!

Hilarious! Thanks to everyone for your replies.
12-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

Is anyone screening this thread?
12-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Yes and no. Many now go out and buy new Pentax gear. Those that can't afford new buy used and sterilize it. They all join in and enjoy the company of each other. Sort of a Circle thingy.
05-18-2018, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mothy Quote
Anybody else have a favorite photography sensation?

Bump!

A few years ago I bought a big ol' metal 300mm lens which came with a matching, metal screw on hood. After having struggled to mount filters onto my DA 18-55's plastic filter threads, this 300mm and its hood were a revelation:

No muss, no fuss. The hood spun right on. And on and on and on!
It takes five and a half revolutions around that long, lovely 77mm filter thread before the hood is seated.

Mechanical precision and the singing of metal on metal make mounting this hood a delight.