Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Is in-camera correction of lens distortion "cheating" or "smart engineering"?
I'm not sure it's either, but if the image is reasonably sharp after a correction like that the lens and sensor must be very very good indeed. (Is it?)

My initial reaction was to classify lens correction along with "digital zoom" but if it actually works, that's awesome.

12-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I'm not sure it's either, but if the image is reasonably sharp after a correction like that the lens and sensor must be very very good indeed. (Is it?)

My initial reaction was to classify lens correction along with "digital zoom" but if it actually works, that's awesome.
Oly and Panny's in camera corrections are quite good and so much so that they have decided to not bother having the corrections done in the lens designs. I wonder how good the primes would be had they done so.

That brings up a whole new philosophical question: Is it post processing if the camera's "engine" does it? Frankie
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #48
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That brings up a whole new philosophical question: Is it post processing if the camera's "engine" does it? :Frankie:
By definition, yes!
But by the same token, the subsequent question to be asked is: who cares?
If the camera corrects distortion, applies contrast/saturation, manipulates highlights, processes for HDR, it's all PP - but where would we be without them? We'd be doing it all anyway in our favoured PP software package...
12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I'm glad you like it, but I never really saw the point of the NX10.. It's only about 80g lighter than the K-x - admittedly 2-3cm slimmer but it's still firmly in the "full size camera" bracket to my mind. The NX100, that's compact...
I like to have a viewfinder, I can keep the camera a lot steadier with it pressed to my eye. I like the size of the nx10, it will fit in my jacket pocket with the 30mm f2 attached (permanently ). I think it is great there are so many good choices in cameras now and the evil camera segment will really take off in the near future.

12-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

The DA Limiteds look right at home on the Panasonic GH2...

And they render pretty nicely too:

12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I have one of those adapters on the way for my Oly. I'm looking forward to trying the DA 21 ltd, 35mm ltd, FA 77 ltd and the A 50/1.2 on it along with some others.
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #52
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So it looks to be yet another tool to utilise classic Pentax glass.