Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

This is new to me.....

and I just might have to try it out!

Rijk-Jan Koppejan Image taken:Dec. 26, 2010Location:Middelburg, The NetherlandsDetails:On Boxingday I was able to remove a small pinholecamera (made of a soda can) from my roof. In fact I hoped to do this on the 21st, but I couldn't, due to a lot of snowfall. (about 20cm which is very rare in my hometown) I placed this camera on July 20th in order to make an image of suntrails. You can see that the sun is much higher in summer than in winter. You also can see that the skies are not always clear.

12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Holy crap, that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!!! I'm about to go look up more stuff like this, great shot(s), Raybo.
12-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did you get so many for so long, if you would be so kind.
12-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
How did you get so many for so long, if you would be so kind.
The OP Raybo is reporting on Rijk-Jan Koppejan's work. Raybo says he'll have to try it, not that he's done it.

How this is done, is typically with a very small pinhole and very slow film or photo paper. Some such exposures take place over many months or even years. You can read all about it in the superbly excellent book, Pinhole Photography From Historic Technique to Digital Application by Eric Renner.

12-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The OP Raybo is reporting on Rijk-Jan Koppejan's work. Raybo says he'll have to try it, not that he's done it.

How this is done, is typically with a very small pinhole and very slow film or photo paper. Some such exposures take place over many months or even years. You can read all about it in the superbly excellent book, Pinhole Photography From Historic Technique to Digital Application by Eric Renner.

Exactly RioRico!

It's called "Solarography", a piece of film is placed in a "soda can" with a small pin hole directed at the film.

Looks very cool and easy to do, it might be a good winter project for me.
12-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
It's called "Solarography", a piece of film is placed in a "soda can" with a small pin hole directed at the film.
Photo paper is often preferred to film because it is so much slower and thus can be used for much longer exposures. Also, photo paper (B&W anyway) can usually be developed under a safelight, so it's easy to judge when the development is sufficient. I used to play the old trick of putting an 8x10 or 11x14 inch sheet of thin fast photo paper into a round oatmeal carton (Yay, Quaker Oats!) or coffee can with a tinfoil pinhole, for infinite-DOF ultra-wide panos.

(I used thin photo paper as a negative, contact-printed into a thicker sheet for a positive image. Or nowadays, just scan the negative and shoop it as desired.)

Freestyle sells Pinhole-in-a-Paint-Can kits but cheap bastards like me prefer the DIY method. I mean, cartons and cans and tinfoil are cheap; photo paper and chemicals are cheap; many of us have scanners; etc. (Another scanner+printer trick: Print an enlarged digital image onto clear mylar film, then use that as a negative to contact-print onto photo paper.)

For larger-scale pinhole Solargraphs, think of boxes of photo paper, or liquid photo emulsions and fabric. One project: Dig a flat-bottomed hole in the ground. Make a cover with a pinhole. On a dark night, line the bottom of the hole with sheets of photo paper, or with a cloth sheet coated with emulsion. Cover the hole; return in six or eight months. For details, see the book I cited above.

Larger-scale pinhead, er I mean pinhole photography: Instead of a hole in the ground, use a sealed cargo container or boxcar or airplane hangar or the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral as the 'camera'. Larger yet: Put a cover on the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff AZ. Mega-scale: One proposed method to build a starship is to pop a nuke inside a nickel-iron asteroid; a properly shaped charge will produce a BIG cylinder, like an oversized oatmeal carton. Take it from there!
12-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's some more info...................

heather powazek champ - Solargraphy

The Pinhole Camera - A Practical How-To Book For Making Pinhole Cameras and Images

Solargraphy: Ultra Long Exposure Photography

Paper Tests for Solargraphy | Gregg D. Kemp