Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lessons Learned at a train garden...

Took my parents and nieces to see the local train garden tonight. The local firehouse always puts out a huge spread. Its always a great way to wrap up the Christmas holiday. Ended up getting there late which was ok. It was crazy packed when we first got in, but as we were leaving there were hardly any people so it was easier to get decent shots and take your time doing it.

Figured since I have the Kx this year, I would try to take a few good pics... Boy was it alot harder than I ever imagined.

I learned a few lessons...

-Train gardens have horrible lighting. Alot of florescent, and alot of black light, you have about 2 minutes before all the lights go out to adjust.

-There are a ton of kids there that love moving their heads or hands just as the flash goes off, learn the art of cropping.

-There is no angle that can get the shot you want without a bush, train, building, or tree blocking it somewhat

-When the line moves, move with it. 300 people are waiting for you.

-Buy a lens that covers a broader aspect. Nothing is more of a pain then changing from 28-70mm to 70-300mm to 10-24mm and back 3 or 4 times.

and finally...

-Bring a P&S for the wife. Nothing is more of a pain than having a great shot, and then having the wife say "give me the camera, i want a picture of so-and-so" 8-24 times a minute

all in all it was fun though, here are a few of the ok pics. As I said, im still learning so go easy... I was playing around with a hotshoe flash a llittle too, it seemed better without it..

What'cha think?

wide angle shot just to show how massive, this is the shorter side, it was probably about 15'x30'

Niece, Mother, and wife

This isnt the best picture, but I kinda liked how the black light mixed with the florescent.

Police at the donut shop (I can say that, my brothers a cop )

This picture kinda got ruined, i tried with the flash but it didnt turn out, oh well, it would have been nice.

This came out kinda cool...

Night game...

Boh knows best.

12-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Nothing is more of a pain then changing from 28-70mm to 70-300mm to 10-24mm and back 3 or 4 times.
The chances of having the right lens on the camera is inversely proportional to the number of lens you bring with you.
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The chances of having the right lens on the camera is inversely proportional to the number of lens you bring with you.
Indeed, but its better to bring them all and switch 49 times, than to not bring one lens, and then kick yourself for hours over missing "THE PERFECT SHOT... IF ONLY I HAD *THAT* LENS!" LOL
12-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Indeed, but its better to bring them all and switch 49 times, than to not bring one lens, and then kick yourself for hours over missing "THE PERFECT SHOT... IF ONLY I HAD *THAT* LENS!" LOL
Which is why pros carry multiple cameras. C'mon, you've seen those guys'n'gals with a few 5DII's or whatever hanging off their bodies. Back in the day, I'd cover events carrying a couple SLR's, a couple RF's, and a TLR stuck in my (large) bag. No lens-changing when stuff is happening, nope, no time.

So get yourself four Kr's, one for each best lens. Let's see: one 10-20/3.5; one 17-50/2.8; one 70-200/2.8; and maybe a 58/1.2. Then you'll miss nothing.

12-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Which is why pros carry multiple cameras. C'mon, you've seen those guys'n'gals with a few 5DII's or whatever hanging off their bodies. Back in the day, I'd cover events carrying a couple SLR's, a couple RF's, and a TLR stuck in my (large) bag. No lens-changing when stuff is happening, nope, no time.

So get yourself four Kr's, one for each best lens. Let's see: one 10-20/3.5; one 17-50/2.8; one 70-200/2.8; and maybe a 58/1.2. Then you'll miss nothing.
But how would i carry all that with the 3 tripods, 4 wireless flash units, 6 umbrellas, and 5 makeup artists? now your just being silly.
01-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
But how would i carry all that with the 3 tripods, 4 wireless flash units, 6 umbrellas, and 5 makeup artists?
I recommend a llama for the gear, a golf cart for the artists, and a trusted bearer (Ansel) to coordinate everything. "Oh Ansel, hand me the Leica with the Elmar 90, and refill my martini please." Anyway, I made do with just one tripod and two flashes in my (big) bag. And I didn't take the Graflex view.cam for events. It's hard to cover a riot with a view.cam and makeup artists.