Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it safe to trigger old flashes with wireless remotes?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a set of remote triggers like those PT-04 or cheap versions of pocket wizards. I have some very old but working flashes from my film gear which are higher trigger voltage. I understand that due to higher trigger voltages, they should not be used in a DSLR's hot shoe.
My question is, is this higher voltage safe for the remote trigger? Any consideration in the trigger voltage?
Just to be clear, I know it is safe for the camera if it is not touching it

Thanks,

12-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would check with the manufacturer of your trigger. Most are fine, especially if you are triggering via a PC sync and not the hot shoe, but I wouldn't assume that ALL remote triggers would be safe with ALL flashes regardless of voltage. You may want to look up the voltages of your flashes -- there are some websites floating around with pretty comprehensive lists. Most Nikon flashes are typically low-voltage and safe even on the camera hotshoe -- that's what I use (SB24, SB28). Older Vivitar flashes shouldn't be used on the camera's hotshoe, but many can be used with a radio trigger via the PC sync port with no issues. I have done that as well.

Good luck!
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Ismael,
Wein makes "safe sync" device-adapter for hot-shoes, limits trigger potential
to 6 volts. Kind of pricey, $50+. flexible, in that it can be used directly on
DSLR's hot shoe also, if needed in that manner.
12-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd ask tech support of the manufacturers you are looking at. I suspect you are safe with real Pocket Wizards, we use them hooked to an old Norman P2000s with no ill effects.

12-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The only cheap triggers that I've heard that work with older flashes without negative repercussions are the Cactus V4's. I personally emailed the makers, and they said that it is fine.

I use PT-04's now though, and I don't think they're safe to use with older flashes. I haven't tried, and don't want to risk it
12-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's the product if you're curious. Says to be good for up to 300 volts.

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4