Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Using an older Photo Bank/Safe

I have an older Photo Bank, a 30 GB model. This is an internal-battery powered HDD that reads SD and CF cards directly, and can also input/out files via its mini-USB female port to USB 2.0 male connector. I use this device when I travel and don't take my laptop with me as it's much smaller than the laptop. I always want a backup of the SD cards I have.

The problem I have is the Photo Bank only can read 2GB and smaller SD cards, where my newer cameras can use 4gb and larger cards. So when I'm going to Europe for instance, and don't take my laptop (for photo file backup), I have to use only older 2GB SD cards in the camera.

Someone thought I could use a new SD card reader and connect that to the Photo Bank via a USB 2.0 female to mini USB male converter/adapter cable. Then the card reader would read the 4GB cards okay and transfer them onto the Photo Safe. But that sounds almost too good to be true.

Anyone have any recommendations here? I know I can replace the 30GB Photo Bank with a newer one (I think they now start at 80GB for about $150), but I do not need the additional storage and would rather not spend that much money.

12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've considered those types of devices in the past, but even 80gb isn't a ton of storage these days. I am traveling in Italy right now, and have found a small netbook (10 inchscreen and under 3lbs) plus a portable hdd gives me a daily double backup that has an easy interface. It will be somewhat more expensive now (should be about double your noted price) but might be worth it in the long haul.

Consider also that while 2/4gb cards may be sufficient now, several years down the road if an old/used k5 is your camera, with raw files upto 30mb I have been using 2 8gb cards almost to capacity daily, and would consider myself very conservative when it comes to clicking the shutter! In 8 days of travel I already have over 50gb of images with 10 percent or less being video taken. 80gb of backup is already quickly approaching an obsolete amount itself!

Last edited by pxpaulx; 12-31-2010 at 06:01 PM.
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's not broke, why fix it? Unless you plan on traveling for months and taking huge amounts of pictures, why not use what you have? I used a similar set up when we went to Hawaii last year. I left the images on the SD cards and copied them to the safe so I'd have a back up. Normally, I take a laptop with me when we travel for that purpose, but the safe was far more convenient.
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
Someone thought I could use a new SD card reader and connect that to the Photo Bank via a USB 2.0 female to mini USB male converter/adapter cable.
You should try it.

30 GB of new cards might run you $80. I got a netbook for travel so I could make some keep/delete choices for duds and near-dupes and reduce the wasted space on the cards themselves.

01-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
Someone thought I could use a new SD card reader and connect that to the Photo Bank via a USB 2.0 female to mini USB male converter/adapter cable. Then the card reader would read the 4GB cards okay and transfer them onto the Photo Safe. But that sounds almost too good to be true.
That might work. I picked up an SDHC card reader for $2.99 some where. If can find or borrow a cheap one you might as well try.
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a CF slot get a SD to CF converter. The CF capability is 32GB. Otherwise a web book is a better deal
01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you have a CF slot get a SD to CF converter. The CF capability is 32GB. Otherwise a web book is a better deal
Indeed: one with SDHC support would seem like the perfect solution :-)
01-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I managed around 20GB on a 8 day excursion recently (K-7 raw images and a few videos). I'd say look for a replacement that can handle SDHC cards if you want a secondary backup. All I did was distribute my picture taking over the various SD cards I had. Most are 8GB, so I don't have more than a day or two on each card. 8GB class 10 cards can be had pretty cheap these days.

01-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

SD/CF adapter

I just posted a thread about using a photobank with 4 gig cards. sorry I didn't post it here but at first I couldn't find this thread.