Well said! Me, too.
The best predators get the best prey.

01-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
And you're a good one, CW And come to think of it, your work is instructive in that I think of people as the prey but, in your work, the prey is the photograph and the people are simply elements.
01-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
STREET PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT FOR WIMPS!!

And Vivian Maier was obviously no wimp. But neither was she a camera fiend.

Yes, a TLR with fast film is ideal for street work. A typical 6x6cm / 2.25 inch cam typically had a fixed 75mm lens, so the photojournalist's rule must be modified slightly: f/11 and be there. Prefocus at 30 feet; DOF is 15 feet to infinity. Or, since the diffraction limit is higher, use f/16, prefocus to 20 feet for DOF from 10 feet to infinity. It's a snap!

A personal note: A couple things have come together for me. One, I was recently gifted with my Dad's older TLR (Thanks for digging it up, Sis!), an Argoflex-E circa 1947, which is thus a couple years older than I. Small (3x4x5 inches), light (23 oz / 650g), inconspicuous (his later Minolta Autocord is half again larger), it's 75/4.5 Argus Varex lens has weird geared focusing, and unusual aperture numbering: 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.7, 18. Right, f/18 and be there!

Two, I have a pile of darkroom gear, but no enlarger, and no place to put one. I talk of building a collapsible darkroom in my 2nd bathroom (which must also accommodate guests), and yeah, that might happen. BUt I just found that, way up here in this remote mountain hamlet, there's a public-access darkroom just three miles away! So I can develop film and make contact prints in the bath, then print enlargements down at the Joyce Center! Glorioski!

So now I'm inspired to actually use the Argoflex, and an even older (1930) KW Patent-Etui 6x9 folder with a waist-level finder, and go shoot some streets. Well, the nearest shootable streets are a couple hours away, but I'll get there eventually.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
...the prey is the photograph and the people are simply elements.
A metaphysical note: Some say photography steals souls. That is true. But it is the photographer's soul that is stolen, not the subject's. I read that somewhere.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-10-2011 at 06:36 AM.
01-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if it's worthwile but I have set up a mailing list regarding Vivan Maier: vivianmaier : Vivian Maier Photography
Feel free to post news, updates and opinions.

Her are some of her cameras from the exhibition:
Anyone from Chicago here?

01-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Just had a chance to really have a good look at her work in terms of what's available on the net. It's really, really outstanding.
08-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Dug this up as there's been an interesting recent 3-part series on Maier:
Vivian Maier | Chicago Tonight | WTTW
08-31-2012, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for reviving this. I just bought the first book of her photos from Book Depository, as a result.

09-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #23

A modern compact camera with a fully articulated screen is actually pretty nice for candid shots for exactly the same reasons as a TLR. The limitations are of course quite severe for someone used to a decent DSLR but the unassuming appearance and quiet operation are something the bigger cameras just can not match.

I think some of the Maier photographs are great. It seems like she enjoyed hanging around the police station. Brave lady.