Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar extension tubes: To sell or not to sell?

Help me make a decision, mates. I have a complete set of Vivitar extension tubes (model AT-23) that have served me quite well over the years from my film SLR days right up to present day with my K-7 before I had any dedicated macro lenses.

I now have a Sigma 50mm 2.8 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 that are both quite excellent. They focus down to 1:1 for "true" macro shots. The extension tubes now appear to be unnecessary. Is there a reason to keep them around any longer?

I have an old Pentax-A 50mm lens that I used to pair with the tubes and the combination worked quite well. But with the 50mm Sigma, the Pentax is now redundant, as well. The only other prime I have in my kit is the (lovely) DA 35mm 2.4 AL which I don't suspect would be terribly useful as an extended macro because of its focal length.

But, because I overthink everything, it's hard to let go of the tubes.

First, the Vivitar AT-23 tubes don't seem to be available anywhere, even on eBay or Adorama and B&H. The only extension tubes for Pentax seem to be cheap $12 versions that do not transmit aperture data or manipulate aperture settings. The user pretty much has to have a K-mount lens with an aperture ring and they need to be comfortable using stop-down metering (which is fine, though not convenient). There does not appear to be any kind of Kenko or Adorama Pro-Optic/Flashpoint alternative, either.

The AT-23, on the other hand, does everything to make old K-mount lenses right up through the DA generation (which are sans-aperture ring) usable apart from auto-focus. Aperture data, changing aperture, everything. Plus, being all metal, they feel very solidly constructed.

These extension tubes appear to be rare little gems in the current Pentax atmosphere, so I'm hesitant to let them go for fear I will really need them some day!

Then again, if somebody out there wants to try macro on-the-cheap this would be just the thing. I just don't know how much to ask. A Google search only comes up with an old listing for $89 at B&H that is no longer available.

Can anybody talk me into/out of selling these things?

01-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll offer you $10.00 Can. you pay the shipping costs.

Does that help. LOL

In other words keep them or you'll wish you had.
01-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I bid US$20 + reasonable shipping.
01-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is the money going to make the difference between being able to buy groceries this week or not? Paying the rent or not? Unless it came down to that, I'd hang onto them.

01-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, you guys are bidding really high on those worthless things. Don't even bother selling them, just give them away. I'll help you out, and even pay shipping. Just because I'm a nice guy like that.
01-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote

I now have a Sigma 50mm 2.8 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 that are both quite excellent. They focus down to 1:1 for "true" macro shots. The extension tubes now appear to be unnecessary.
You have answered your question.
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I was not bidding, just trying to make the point of not selling. Anything we've ever sold we had use for quickly thereafter. Besides my husband and I are both hoarders, in our minds with good reason. Now, late in life, nobody appreciates anything. So our Trustees will get rid of the "Stuff" and the things we loved will be without any real history or attachment.

01-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't start a bidding outside the marketplace, that would violite the forum rules. If the OP decides to sell them he/she has to do that through the marketplace, and the rest of you have to hold your horses until then.

As for the OP's question. Extension tubes with A contacts were really hard to get for a while as their was non from Pentax and no third party manufacturer. Since nowadays the German manufacturer Dörr (yes, strange name, even more so in my ears since "dörr" in Swedish means "door") makes a set of three KA tubes, it is easy to get new ones. That could affect your decission since you know you can get hold of new ones if you regret selling them, and it should influence their second hand price. Before selling, consider that they offer you a way to shoot larger than 1:1 macro with your macro lenses. If that is not so attractive, or if you want the $ more to feed your LBA, selling could be a good idea.
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody for your input.

While I understand for some of you this is a no-brainer decision, you have to understand my position. It seems like every year there's the "this is the year for a full-frame Pentax!" cry, and then it never happens. If there were to be a FF Pentax, these tubes might suddenly be more useful to me. A FF body would mean my Sigma and Tamron macros are now back to their native focal lengths because their is no crop factor. In this situation I could find an older A or F lens of longer focal length and use the tubes for the same effect. Of course, the Tamron and Sigmas are FF compatible, but again, their effectiveness would change.

Obviously, Pentax is not releasing a FF body any time soon (unless they are working on a mirrorless full-frame body to catch the other guys off guard - you heard it here first!). Again, this is must my fuzzy logic and paranoia getting the better of me.

To you "bidders", I understand what you're saying, though I think 10-20 dollars is a bit low for these tubes. They are in mint condition, and again, they are outpace the functionality of the cheaper variety you can find on Amazon, etc. Frankly, the $12-15 kind are junk.

Douglas of Sweden, a big thank you to you. I have never heard of Dörr, and a little more info about them would be helpful (just to satisfy my curiosity). But yes, it's good to know somebody out there is doing something to continue this kind of camera accessory, not to mention the fact that they are doing it the right way!

I suppose I will sell these tubes, though. I am making baby steps toward a K-5. That's a whole other source of anxiety!

Thanks again, everybody!