Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #1

Storing photos on holiday

I was wondering what others do to store their digital photos while on holiday? Do you buy and use several flash cards? Take a laptop and upload them all (and hope your laptop doesn't crash for whatever reason and loses your data)? Upload them all to an online storage site (assuming you have internet access and time to upload lots of raw files)? Or, is there a transportable, mini hard drive / card reader system that I should buy (assuing such a thing exists - newbie here )

01-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an iPad with a camera connection kit and I love it. It's got a solid state hard drive which means there is very little chance you could lose data.
01-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

I've used my iPod to store photos but I also take my Powerbook with me, even when traveling on the motorcycle. I do not delete any images off my memory cards until I get home but I have never had a problem with my Powerbook. Carrying the computer allows me to title and keyword my photos and delete the really bad ones while I am on the road.
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry cards. Generally fill one about half full and switch it out or a new one.

01-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When I travel (thinking overseas backpacking here), I do two things. I use a small, portable hard disk drive that runs off a USB cable. And I double-back up onto spare SD cards and post them back to my home address, in case my bags get stolen.
01-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My preference is to carry my laptop, equipped with photo editing software, for both storage and processing of my photos. I still carry extra cards in case I shoot heaps in one day, but ultimately I transfer them to the laptop at the end of the day to free them up.
01-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Windows 7 Netbook with a USB hard drive and I copy photos ( usually each evening) to that when we're traveling. I also carry several cards. So far, the system has worked well for me.

01-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It may be simple, but I just use cards. When not traveling, I rarely delete anything in the field, preferring to view them full screen for editing, but when traveling, I do some LCD editing with strong glasses after dark each evening to save card space. To me, this seems like the most simple, economical and portable option.
Because of fears of card failures, I usually use 4 MB cards, but when traveling, I usually use 8 MB cards. (I once used 16 or 18 MB? card, but the thought of having that many images to lose made me nervious."
Anyway, with 8 MB cards and daily editing, I usually don't fill it up. (I shoot with a purpose, not snapshots, and am pretty picky about what I keep.) I carry extra cards, of course, and though I haven't done it, CWs idea of mailing full cards home is a good one.
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I think I'll buy some more cards (I like the idea of small ones so that you don't lose a lot of photos). I'm taking my laptop as well, so I'll back them up on there.

I did find this, but it's probably more than I need for a 2 week overseas holiday.
Wolverine PicPac II 160GB Digital Camera and Camcorder 7616 B&H
01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
I have a Windows 7 Netbook with a USB hard drive and I copy photos ( usually each evening) to that when we're traveling. I also carry several cards. So far, the system has worked well for me.
Me, too. The screen is big enough to make some judgements about quality and duplicates, etc. It there are a lot of duds or dupes, I'll delete them from the card but leave them on the netbook. That reduces some editing later.