Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

High magnification macro

I decided today to fool around more with macro photography, I've always been quite interested in macro, but never really tried to make it look... Nice... to say the least.

Well, today I decided to go for the most magnification possible (with what I have)... Now if my math is right, I shooting a 7:1, which as I've discovered is a headache... I tried going with a tripod, with no luck, way too much vibration and movement when focusing and such... So I took a C-Clamp and welded a threaded nut to it and screwed the camera onto it and mounted it on my work bench, which worked perfectly, but focusing was still quiet a bad word.

Another main problem, is that my lens kept zooming when I was shooting downward, which as you can guess is a bad thing when you let go to grab the remote and lose your focus.

My real questions with this are

Is there anyway to stiffen up the zoom ring, so when I point down it doesn't just fall?

Is there anyway to make shooting at this ratio "easier"? IE: I've noticed that moving the subject rather than touching the camera is easier way of doing this, but is there a tool, or something I can build to just make this a happier venture?

And is this much magnification ever useful? For what?

Ex of my venture below

$20, very very close | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

01-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As you have found, zooms (especially the creepy kind) aren't best for non-handheld macro work. How to secure the ring? Gaffer's tape, I guess. Or chuck the zoom and use a prime.

People more seriously into studio macro than I, use more than one set of rails in their setups. One set of rails for the camera; another for the subject stage; yet another for bellows, if used. Lock the camera into place; set the lens magnification and focus; ease the subject stage into your focal point. NOW you can snap!

Is 7X magnification useful? Depends on what you're shooting and what results you want. Shooting microcircuitry or moth antennae or ants' eyeballs, that might be barely enough. BTW, I classify anything over 5X as 'micro' not 'macro'. Others draw the line at 10X. Whatever.