Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the best answer i've ever seen was this

Its funny you posted that, I put that quote in my signature a few weeks ago. Never knew there was a cartoon to go with it. Lol

01-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #32

yep

I tell them anything they want to know if they show interest in anything I've done. Brand-ology and camera envy is a two way street by the way. Most of my photog friends and I suspect most people don't really care what kind of camera each of us shoots, they just want to see the fruits of your "labor" so to speak.
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone that thinks the camera took the good images is obviously ignorant of what it TAKES to get good images. Be nice and be candid. Tell them what you have but make certain they are not casing you to take it! Not everyone that has a socket wrench is a master mechanic and curious people are not always honest!
01-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Honestly, I don't know what I hate more. The question of the camera... or when someone compares their photos to yours and says something like "man, this is nothing like your professional camera, you just have to aim and you get it"

I had just got done shooting a derby and a guy came up and complimented me on my past photos (I post them to the team on their facebook site), which was very nice... but then he started comparing his point and shoot to my camera and how easy it is for me to get a shot with a professional camera. Don't get me wrong you need the right equipment to do the job, but over simplifying what you do really does irritate you sometimes.

I really was in no mood and tired... I just thanked him and walked on.

01-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I just tell them there's a How and a What. Describe what you did to make that shot and then tell them what gear you used. No misunderstanding it wasn't just the camera at work ! Then no matter how the question was meant the answer still works.
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Another one that bugs me is being complimented on the looks of your camera without seeing any photos. I guess you just say thanks?

My favorite reply to "what kind of camera" though is "I bought it at the same shop Picasso bought his brushes."
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was just asked this morning (online). At least she started with "I know it's not the camera but the photographer...".

I just answered the question.

01-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
wow!! which camera?
A gud un.
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
Pentaxian

A Nikonian, leading a group on Segways, stopped behind me, near where I was seated on a bench on a small hill with a non-functional lighthouse with my camera on a tripod, facing away.

We finally made eye-contact, and he asked "What kind of Canon is that?" Apparently, the 800mm mirror lens hanging off the front intrigued him.

I said "this?" and partially turned it toward him, and he mumbled, "What Canon - oh, it's not a Canon." I said (pointing to camera) "is a Pentax, and this" (pointing to lens) "is a Vivitar".

I explained the focal length, let him look though it, said it was so-so quality but a fun and cheap alternative to other (unobtainable) long glass, and could be used with a Nikon T-mount.

Then they left.