Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Light stand size

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,
I'm in the market for some light stands - I was just wondering how tall do I really need them to be? Do I really need a 7' or 9' light stand? Would a 5' tripod be sufficient?
I haven't started strobe work yet. I'm currently figuring out what exactly it is that I need.
Also, for those that do use light stands, how often do you use 7' or 9'?
Thanks in advance!

01-11-2011, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the questions you need to ask yourself is "What will I be putting on the light stand?" If you want to use umbrellas, I think you would find a 5' tripod to be a little short. However, a tripod should be more stable in the wind for outdoor shooting (footprint size and center or gravity play a factor).

I bought a set of these light stands back in May. They have a good size footprint (the larger the leg spread the less likely they tip over) and pretty solidly built. I would buy them again.

LIGHTING STANDS STUDIO PHOTO 7'6" SET OF 2 NEW by PBL - eBay (item 310285377982 end time Jan-11-11 16:49:40 PST)

Tim
01-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Great!! Thanks a lot Tim! Just what I needed to know. I was looking for some tips for I haven't used any umbrellas yet.

I will definitely be looking into these light stands!