Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

UK camera insurance

Being as I still live at home and do not have home insurance, I was looking into separate insurance for my camera stuff - it wasn't so bad when I was just toting around a compact but now that I can be seen out an about with a backpack and an slr around my neck things are a little different.

I currently only have my K100D super and kit 18-55 but will be getting a flash and a couple of lenses when money allows. I looked at photoguard.co.uk and for goods up to £1000 the pro cover is only £26 for a year so it's almost a no brainer.

However I was wondering what this would cover, and although I can and probably will contact individual companies before going ahead I thought I'd check here first and see if any other UK members have the same sort of cover. I'm not overly concerned with break-ins or theft from a vehicle as I live in a pretty low-risk area and never leave expensive equipment unattended, my biggest concerns would be A) being mugged and B) accidental damage that might be caused by a drunken reveler crashing into the front of my lens or knocking me over. Am I right in thinking these are usually covered under insurance? The word "theft" in particular can be a little vague sometimes...

10-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jleef Quote
Being as I still live at home and do not have home insurance, I was looking into separate insurance for my camera stuff - it wasn't so bad when I was just toting around a compact but now that I can be seen out an about with a backpack and an slr around my neck things are a little different.

I currently only have my K100D super and kit 18-55 but will be getting a flash and a couple of lenses when money allows. I looked at photoguard.co.uk and for goods up to £1000 the pro cover is only £26 for a year so it's almost a no brainer.

However I was wondering what this would cover, and although I can and probably will contact individual companies before going ahead I thought I'd check here first and see if any other UK members have the same sort of cover. I'm not overly concerned with break-ins or theft from a vehicle as I live in a pretty low-risk area and never leave expensive equipment unattended, my biggest concerns would be A) being mugged and B) accidental damage that might be caused by a drunken reveler crashing into the front of my lens or knocking me over. Am I right in thinking these are usually covered under insurance? The word "theft" in particular can be a little vague sometimes...
I have all my photographic gear covered by my normal household contents insurance (Dir**t L**e) and I have confirmed every aspect with them. I also had no problems with a claim. I did increase my cover amount to match the total value of my gear, it cost very little extra.

I've stopped using separate camera insurance as they offered no more protection for much higher costs. For professional use the matter is quite different.