Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a freeware batch editor

I need a little help. My son is currently enrolled in a Digital graphics course and they do a fair amount of stop motion stuff using digital images. So I gave him my Kodak DX7590 P&S to work with. (trust me xmas is coming and he might be getting a real camera).

Anyway what he needs is a batch editor that will allow him to take as many shots as he needs and then be able to resize all the shots together to run them in Adobe Premier (which is a video editing program that can't handle the current size of the stills and will freeze up).

Anyone have a downloadable freeware solution that could do this batch edit/resize work? Also of note he has Adobe PS Elements.

10-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #2

I use this one. Free and easy. Also converts RAW.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I love Irfanview for stuff like that. Been using it for years. Does a lot of stuff and easy to use.

IRFANVIEW
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also try Irfanview (IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide), also free for home use. It can handle all kinds of file types and has a very sophisticated yet simple to use batch function. You can even use photoshop plugins with it.

Eddie, thanks for the info. I am giving Fastone a shot to compare. The interface looks quite friendly.

10-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #5

Let us know how it compares. I have only used the FastStone, but I'm not married to it! FWIW, I only downloaded the image viewer. You can batch resize and RAW convert from there without having to get the FS Image Resizer.
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems to have more of an integrated interface than Irfanview, and thumbnail rendering is quite fast.

Haven't gotten into the indepth functions, which is where Irfanview shines.

Will keep playing with it!
10-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here is a list of the top four freeware image editing programs, listed by popularity. All provide a wide varity of tools and the latest versions are Photoshop plug-in compatible.

- IrfanView by IrfanView

- Ultimatepaint by JTL Development

- VCW Vicman's Photo Editor Pro by VicMan Software

- ImageN by Pixoid

I know that both IrfanView and ImageN will do at least some level of batch conversion. I added the other two since they may do so as well. However, you'll have to research those two yourself.

stewart

10-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can think of two software.

1. bordermaker (BorderMaker - home). Resize functions work wonderfully. Only thing is that it read my photo's focal length exif info incorrectly. For instance, I am using 50mm lens and it will report 500mm.

2. Neo imaging (nEO-iMAGING.NET)

Tthe first software is freeware. The second software is shareware.

I am personnally looking for some alternatives to a good batch editor too. I have tried irfanview, firestone, etc but still looking.
10-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I forwarded the page to him and he's testing some of these out. This is very much appreciated