Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just got back from a Job I did for someone I know? First time, normal pay?

So I Just photographed an event for someone I know, It was basically a spiritual Service, think Church but for people who are spiritual, every religion, some not religious. He told me to email him the price I come up with and then well I would send the pictures. He is actually my hairdresser but I started to socialize with him more and he loved my photography, so he insisted I do his services(which is his 2nd job).

I went through the 150-200 shots I took and picked about 35 and edited them(maybe a bit more, was my first run through of them. The service was about 2 hours long. They will most likely be used on websites, flyer's, etc....Whats the going rate fro something like this? This would be my first paid thing so I would not go with a high high price, but whats the lowest to highest is basically my question so I can get a feel for what to charge...

Any input would be great, sorry if this sounds confusing.

(Ignore the first ? mark, I am sorta sleepy...)

Last edited by Abstract; 01-16-2011 at 05:46 PM.
01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't give you help with the pricing, I don't know your market, but do not price yourself low.
You can always drop your price later if you feel the need to give a volume discount.
01-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just a word to the wise, you may want to work out a price before the gig. But, for know ask your self how many hours have you put in, how much did you spend on gas to and from, insurance, price of your gear. I'm sure a bunch of other things but simplest is your time shooting and editing. Other folks may have other was to calculate but thought that would help. Good luck
01-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charge for the event, not the number of images given except with providing reprints. Being your first paid event and if you feel your work is good, I would start at $100.

01-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How informal an arrangement is this? Formally, you would ask a series of questions beforehand that would help you set the price beforehand:

1) exactly what will the photos will be used for (flyers, web, advertising...)?
2) how many will be used?
3) for how long?
4) will he have exclusive rights to use the photos, or are you granting only limited rights of use?

These do not exhaust the questions, but they give you an idea. The more he uses, the longer he uses them for, the more exclusive his rights of use, the more the photos are directly used to make money (eg, ads), the more you would charge. Likely, you wouldn't be able to charge him the same rate that you would an advertising agency that wanted your photos, since we would assume the agency has the money to spend on photos and your hairdresser doesn't. You might want to check with a pro in your market for some friendly advice.

It might have been best if you had set a low-end price that would have covered your time shooting and processing (even if he chose not to use any photos), and a higher price if he chose 5-10 photos, etc. But it sounds too late for that. Let us know how it works out.
01-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, I am gonna discuss it with him soon, 100 sounds like a good medium though. I will let him use them for whatever honestly, its all in good spirit, so I support it as long as he gives me credit which I know he said he would. Thanks for all the help!
01-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Thanks for all the help, I am gonna discuss it with him soon, 100 sounds like a good medium though. I will let him use them for whatever honestly, its all in good spirit, so I support it as long as he gives me credit which I know he said he would. Thanks for all the help!

since he's your hair dresser, ask him for a 100 GC @ his place... I feel like asking straight up cash is a bit "unfriendly", especially for your 1 gig, tell him the truth, let him know "hey, it's my 1st gig, and I'm not so sure, why don't we trade service, you can give me a gc @ your place for XXX), i'm sure he'll be more than happy to do that.

01-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asking for money for the work you do is not unfriendly, it is business. He asks for money for the work he does, and he probably has friendly conversations while doing it!

Ask yourself what YOUR time is worth. Is it worth $10 and hour? With 2 hours shooting you also had travel time (at least an hour) set up time (about 30 minutes or so) post processing (about 2 hours, at least) for 5.5 hours, let's round to 6. At $10 you are up to $60 already, at $20 an hour, you're at $120. Now, what is the going rate? Ask around. Once you know this you know you are somewhere in between.

You can also just ask, what do they think the service is worth? Go with the higher number! Next time, get this nailed down before you shoot. You also get to nail down what is expected, the venue, the time that needs to be allotted and what the images will be used for. Treat it like a hobby and that is all it ever will be!
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I see, I will see what he says, hopefully he is considerate about it also, I agree, I mean if it was a really good friend I would not charge.
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Were you happy with the results? What you charge might depend on whether the results look... professional, or not.

Also you might consider if he's ok with you using the pictures for your own promotion, if they're appropriate for that.

Paul