Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
C&C wanted for my Photo webstie

Hi,
I'm just about finished creating my photography website- Patrick Dinneen Photography It's non-profit based, mainly just to display my photos.
I used to have a blog but 'upgraded' to a full website with more content- gallery, photoblog, about etc.

Unfinished things are:
  • the logo (top left hand corner), current one is only a 'gap filler'.
  • Gallery: need to add more images and
  • About: have to make the image non-clickable.
  • page titles in the browser 'tab'- have to change so all display 'Patrick Dinneen Photography'
  • Links page: have to fix very last link & fix 'RSS feed for 28 Irish Photo Blogs' link.
  • Want to add a 'guestbook' page'

I'd appreciate and C&C, which I'll go through and make some final changes based on the feedabck.

Some specific questions:
1. Is there a particular font that works best with photography websites/that'd work best with mine?
2. Opinion on the background 'wallpaper' design? This can be changed (different colours, patterns etc).
3. Home page. Would you get rid of 'Patrick Dinneen photoblog; an eclectic mix of the best from my camera'?
4. (Photo)blog page. The idea of the brackets is that the blog contains posts that are just photos and posts that don't have photos in them. Do the brackets seem confusion, should I just call the page 'photoblog' or 'blog'?
5. (Photo)blog page. Is the intro text lost/too high up?
All pictures that I take are posted on this page along with the odd post without a picture- just some ramblings from my head.
6. About page- is the text too long, should I break it up so the novigation menu has 'about' and subcategories 'me' and 'photo gear'?
7. The use of lowercase 'i'; stupid, no need or what do you think?

Besides that any other C&C, opinions would be very much appreciated- usability, load speed, design, any issues, navigation etc.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Pa.

01-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it. Simple, to the point. No useless gimmicks. Well laid out. Elegant.

The only bit of criticism would be the slideshow on the main page. The photos look awfully soft. I'll be back to read more. You've got some really nice shots in there
01-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Webstie, an interesting description.
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you have to decide if this is an image-oriented site, or a writing-about-photography site that has a few nice shots that illustrate your words. When I'm greeted with a home page of words without images it seems to be neither of the above.

Edit:
I'm revising my comments to reflect that I initially viewed your site on my iPhone and it was purely text. Looking at it on my desktop, I see the slideshow at the top third of the screen.
I would design my site to accomodate mobile viewing as well as desktop viewing. That is a requirement in 2011 for all sites in my mind. That means a few more design choices.
I would move most of the words to a linked "about" page. I'd have the about page be factual. I'd delete words about your personal to-dos with the gallery. No one's gallery is ever complete if you are shooting and growing. Use basic email links for personal contact.

I'd also have big easy links to the gallery and the blog and not bury them in text. After the first reading, text is boring, so focus on ease-of-navigation and images.
I'd also reserve the slideshow for your best work.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 01-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.