Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Secret photographer job?

I keep seeing these jobs posted on various newspaper web sites. Just for sh*ts and giggles I sent an inquiry but am awaiting a response. In the interim, does anyone know what the heck this is all about?

SmartPay Secret Photographer is hiring photographers now. The nature of this job only requires you to secretly take photos & send in reports/pictures of any homes, cars, commercial property, businesses, trucks, RVs, boats, or pictures of events, in your
area and get paid.

If you have a camera then you are qualified. For more information contact us now.
Salary/Wage: $250

01-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
I keep seeing these jobs posted on various newspaper web sites. Just for sh*ts and giggles I sent an inquiry but am awaiting a response. In the interim, does anyone know what the heck this is all about?

SmartPay Secret Photographer is hiring photographers now. The nature of this job only requires you to secretly take photos & send in reports/pictures of any homes, cars, commercial property, businesses, trucks, RVs, boats, or pictures of events, in your
area and get paid.

If you have a camera then you are qualified. For more information contact us now.
Salary/Wage: $250

It is a Homeland Security gig asking you to snitch on your friends and neighbors, just like the former East German Stasi.

But, hey, it's a way to make a buck so go for it.

- Sam

PS - Let us know what you find! It sounds too fun/good to be true.
01-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

bet it is repo business.
01-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
bet it is repo business.
Give the man a cigar.

01-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is well beyond suspicious to me. Very strange.
Your first submissions of photos should be of police vehicles, police stations, security guards, military police at their post, a couple tough guys staring at you, some gangstahs rolling in their 5.0, a bunch of Hell's Angels. Then ask for your $250.
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's a con. I've seen something similar to this before. You have to sign up to take their seminar and then they give you a list of people to send your photos to that supposedly pay for this service. It's total BS.
01-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
bet it is repo business.
+1
Repo came to mind. They are looking for "bullet catchers".

01-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think it's similar to work-from-home scams. "We will pay you a gobs of cash to work for us. All you need to do first is [buy the starter kit / pay to take this qualification exam / attend this mandatory training class]."

Maybe I'm wrong but don't take the bait if they ask for money. Also be careful of ID theft scams where they have you fill out an online job application.
01-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Here's the email response I got, verbatim:

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your interest. You will earn $250 per hour for photos taken and submitted to our organization. You are to take clear shot of any event, homes, cars, commercial property, businesses, trucks, RVs, or boats of your choice within your area with your Camera (At least with 2.0 Pixel Camera), upload and send the photos to us via email. NO special training or start up fees is required

GUIDELINE FOR SMARTPAY SECRET PHOTOGRAPHER:-
* You must have a camera ( at least a 2.0 pixel camera)
* Must be at least 18years old
* Take good and clear photos shots
* Freelance Photography experience helpful but not necessary
* Your comments and impressions.

These details are required; Your FULL NAME, CONTACT ADDRESS including PHONE NUMBER, and AGE/SEX, this details are essential so that your funds and employment packet Needed for the assignment will be mailed to you to carry out your first assignment. All details received are safe and secured.

Yours Sincerely,
Tina Hanna
Copyright© 2010, SmartPay Secret Photographer®.
Delivering achievable secret Photographic management satisfaction
01-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
That is well beyond suspicious to me. Very strange.
Your first submissions of photos should be of police vehicles, police stations, security guards, military police at their post, a couple tough guys staring at you, some gangstahs rolling in their 5.0, a bunch of Hell's Angels. Then ask for your $250.

lol Good idea Matt. Yeah it all seems a little too cloak and dagger for my taste. Their email response was just as vague as their initial ad. I'll most definitely not be pursuing this any further!
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's looking more and more like some sort of scam. I can't quite tell what their angle is yet.

Web searches for "SmartPay Secret Photographer" return dozens of hits but they are all for job ads. I can't find any company web site, though. A legit company that conducts much of their business via email should have a web site that can be found by searches.

The $250/hour promise has me 100% convinced this is a scam or some other shady business. The repo business isn't so lucrative to burn cash like that. Given the inattention to detail in the emailed letter ("2.0 Pixel Camera"), maybe the "$250 per hr" is really $2.50?

They already asked for your name, address, phone, age. After you provide that, they might ask you to take some random photo and request your bank account # so they can wire payment. Then they can start stealing money.
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The $250/hour promise has me 100% convinced this is a scam or some other shady business. The repo business isn't so lucrative to burn cash like that. Given the inattention to detail in the emailed letter ("2.0 Pixel Camera"), maybe the "$250 per hr" is really $2.50?
Now now, lets assume a shutter speed averaging 1/250 of a second. By the time you spent an hour "taking" pictures, you have snapped about 900,000 images. So...
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've done this before it's repo work lots of travel and you have to wait for the clowns to do all of their paper work before you get paid.
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Here's the email response I got, verbatim:

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your interest. You will earn $250 per hour for photos taken and submitted to our organization. You are to take clear shot of any event, homes, cars, commercial property, businesses, trucks, RVs, or boats of your choice within your area with your Camera (At least with 2.0 Pixel Camera), upload and send the photos to us via email. NO special training or start up fees is required

GUIDELINE FOR SMARTPAY SECRET PHOTOGRAPHER:-
* You must have a camera ( at least a 2.0 pixel camera)
* Must be at least 18years old
* Take good and clear photos shots
* Freelance Photography experience helpful but not necessary
* Your comments and impressions.

These details are required; Your FULL NAME, CONTACT ADDRESS including PHONE NUMBER, and AGE/SEX, this details are essential so that your funds and employment packet Needed for the assignment will be mailed to you to carry out your first assignment. All details received are safe and secured.

Yours Sincerely,
Tina Hanna
Copyright© 2010, SmartPay Secret Photographer®.
Delivering achievable secret Photographic management satisfaction
Hourly wage is not "salary".
Asking for age and sex is illegal for hiring, at least in the USA.
My camera has a few more than 2 pixels...am I disqualified?
01-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Yes, you are disqualified...

Most likely, anyone displaying a modicum of intelligence will be disqualified, LOL>.
RayGunn