Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question on Cokin Blue/Yellow Filter Use.

I bought this filter out of curiosity last week It was in a clearance bin and was relatively cheap. Today was the first time I was able to use it.

The effects it gives are rather interesting. It works just like any polarizer, however, it will colour the reflections varying shades of blue or yellow depending upon how much you twist it.

Twisted to extreme blue.

Twisted to extreme yellow.

Anyone have this or something similar and can give me tips on when to use this? It seems to work well on water reflections..but I am at a loss for the yellow colour. Not sure why, but I seem to be drawing blanks on this one lol.

10-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have it and it's a strange one for sure. I use it sparingly to shift the colors, used too much and it gets surreal. Set your white balance to daylight and what you see in the veiwfinder is what you get. Fun to play with.
here's an article that talks about it

Creative Nature Photography Filters
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. That link answers most of my questions.
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #4

I've had one for years. I don't use it much though, and usually only on shots that have a skyline and some clouds or to play around with a sunset. I took maybe 100 or so shots Summer of 06 with my Ds and maybe 10 this last winter with my K10D. Don't recall if I've even used it once in the last 8 months.

10-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I also have one of these filters. I don't use it a lot but it does have it's purpose. If you are in the mood for 'effects' I find it seems to work better on more open or less busy landscapes.

Here is a scene I shot in Mexico on the beach; one with the blue shade and the other with the yellow. Let me know if you like either of these.

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-06-2007 at 03:36 AM.
10-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Here is two more that I like. The first done with more yellow than blue and the last was kind of a bit of both shades. The purple sky is kind of weird, but that is what you are trying to achieve - a different perspective.

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-06-2007 at 03:36 AM.
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #7

I just got my cokin filter system. I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks for all the examples!