Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anybody worked for Brightroom Events?

Hi Everyone, (my first post on the PF site )
I have been a landscape photographer for quite some time, but recently a club acqaintance saw the shots I did for my son's HS cross country team, and he said that I should join Brightroom and shoot events for them. I am trying to find out if Brightroom is "legit", and to see if they are worth the time/effort.
Of course, no one can guarantee what the pay for an event will be... but I'm not looking to spend 2 days shooting a Tough Mudder Event, for example, only to walk away with a $32 paycheck after expenses!!

Anyone with experience? Thanks for your advice!
AtlantaChris

01-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Brightroom is VERY big and VERY legit. I'm officially a Brightroom photographer but I never work for them. They don't pay as well as the other companies I shoot for but they are pretty easy to work with.

Most companies I shoot for at sports events live by the "one-shot-one-kill" frame of mind. Brightroom has encouraged it shooters to take as many photos as possible in the past. Of course things always change so who knows now?

Brightroom does the official photos for the NYC Marathon among other very large events.
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've seen them in action at one event, the Irvine Lake mud-run.

Anyway I checked out the work, which was about as you'd expect - documentary. However, I saw page after page of horribly overexposed shots ( I think from the guy with the camera condom) because I'm guessing he was set up for M mode shooting (though the dial looks like Av), but did not make an adjustment, or over adjusted, for the shots of people running through white bubbly foam, like here (shot by me, not them)...

that bumped up the exposure by about 2 stops and was total failure.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

These events are shot in jpg (2 megapixel usually) and you need to be able to get everything perfect in camera.

I shot the the San Diego Rock and Roll marathon for ASI photography last year I took 9000 pictures and there were 20 other photographers on the course (and 20,000 athletes). Nobody is going to be processing those images. Whatever mode you decide to shoot in you need to check your exposures continuously. I have a Hood Loupe I use to check my screen in the bright sun.

As a photographer one of the nice things about shooting for these guys is that they don't make you shoot with a flash (9000 flashes in 5 hrs is not good for your expensive flash) but shoooting without flash on a sunny day can make for bad pictures too...

01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Any idea on what they pay? Is it by the event (per day) or is it by the number of your shots that get purchased?

What could I expect to get paid for a day of shooting a good sized marathon or tough run?
01-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Hi all,

Any idea on what they pay? Is it by the event (per day) or is it by the number of your shots that get purchased?

What could I expect to get paid for a day of shooting a good sized marathon or tough run?
I'm not sure what their current pay scale is. As I said I am officially a photographer for them but I am not active with them. Other very similar companies pay either by the hour (anywhere from $20-$50/hr depending on the company plus your level of experience) or they pay a flat rate for the job. If your sales are poor you may not get invited back but it will not affect your pay for the day.
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Brightroom does not accept Pentax!!

We have reviewed the information you submitted with your application to become a member of the brightroom photography team. Unfortunately, your application has not been accepted at this time. The reason(s) for denial is/are as follows: We unfortunately do not accept Pentax model cameras. Thank you for your interest.

We appreciate you taking the time to apply to our team. Once you have addressed the issue(s) listed above, feel free to submit another application. If you have any questions, you can direct them to us at sportsops@brightroom.com

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Brightroom
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not making excuses for them... who knows their logic really... but I would not be surprised if this has to do with the fact that the company may only support CF cards. I do lots of shooting for lots of these types of companies and they always prefer everyone to be using CF cards. Remember you will not be shooting on your own cards.

Having said that... other companies do support SD so who knows? ASI has all current and older model Pentax DSLR's listed as supported equipment.

I actually bought a Canon 30D specifically for shooting this type of event. Canon was selling refurbished 30D's (with new shutters) for $350 last year. And since an average event will be 5000-10,000 actuations on your shutter it was a worthwhile investment if for no other reason than to not wear out the shutter on my good cameras.

02-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for you input!
Based on the other poster who was turned down because of Pentax gear, I'll pursue other options for sports/weekend shooting.
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'm not making excuses for them... who knows their logic really... but I would not be surprised if this has to do with the fact that the company may only support CF cards.
A 12-format card reader surely could be rounded up.
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A 12-format card reader surely could be rounded up.
Cards are usually provided by the company to the photographer at this type of event.... I almost never shoot someone else's event on my own cards. When other people work for me I provide the cards. I have enough SD cards for my own Pentax cameras but I have enough CF cards to supply several other photographers.
02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
Cards are usually provided by the company to the photographer at this type of event.... I almost never shoot someone else's event on my own cards. When other people work for me I provide the cards. I have enough SD cards for my own Pentax cameras but I have enough CF cards to supply several other photographers.
Well, that makes sense. Somehow I think it would still be "no Pentax" regardless of card format. Otherwise they would have said "no SD" rather than "no Pentax".
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Inactive Account

It had/has nothing to do with card formats. Brightroom no longer works with Pentax equipment because the manner in which Pentax metadata is written is not compatible with their sorting software. I am a working brightroom shooter in Fort Worth TX where they are based, and they pay me well. I got on with them two years ago using Pentax equipment (& SD cards), but started getting 3x the amount of work with them as soon as I switched to Nikon, including Tough Mudder events and the NYC Marathon. They were just acquired by EPG/MarathonFoto, however, so I don't know if that "Pentax rule" will change (since I'm now a “Nikonian,” I haven't bothered to find out). I understand your frustration, but disagree with your "FFFUUU brightroom" sentiment. They are completely legitimate and have a high professional standard - as does MarathonFoto - and their reasons for rejecting your application are valid per their equipment requirements and business practices. Good luck to you.
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veezchick Quote
It had/has nothing to do with card formats. Brightroom no longer works with Pentax equipment because the manner in which Pentax metadata is written is not compatible with their sorting software.
This is interesting. How is the EXIF metadata that Pentax writes different from the other camera vendors. EXIF is intended to be a standard (which in and of itself consists and is composed of a number of other format standards).I do understand it as a business decision, supporting a standard base of camera equipment does lend itself to a more streamlined business model and support/processing infrastructure.