Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
My point is that even if you don't have an artistic concept in your head before you press the shutter or even if you didn't spend time setting up a still life or waiting for the golden hour... If you were walking up your front steps and saw a "Kodak moment" and caught it, that's photography too.
Of course, it is. In fact, capturing those "Kodak moments" are the essence of photography.

01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oooh!....Careful! Peter Luk might be reading!
01-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #33
Kai

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
I have two friends who are retired photography teachers and I still see my old teacher around town. My old HS physics teacher's wife teaches photography and I've talked to her a couple times. One thing they will all agree upon is that viewing lots of photos is a very good way to understand what makes a good photo.
I think it's like muscle memory of the eye. Rules of composition are a good baseline for someone who is still figuring it out or is totally OCD but the truth is, not all good photos adhere to these rules.
Look at photos every day. You'll know a good one when you see it. After a while, your brain starts to see good photos all around you. Then, point the camera at it and capture it. To me, perspective and light > composition. You still need a subject though.
If you want to teach yourself to use the rules of composition, I think practising abstracts and still lives would get both halves of your brain around it.

Edit: S2 and S5 pro. That's why I post either B&W film or jpegs form my droid here.
This is a very good advise. Thanks.
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BK:

Composition can be a dramatic or a subtle expression of how you view the world. But there are some things that can help the viewer. I teach a photography class for adults and this is one of the early things we discuss. Instead of the texts of someone else, I wrote up a series of them to help my class. Here is a link to a site you can go to and download a PDF file on the subject of composition:

http://www.dcdadvancedtech.com/photo1/composition.pdf

It is simple and straight forward, and short, to help kick start people's mind into thinking about composing the shot. Many times we may think we do not have the time to compose the shot well, when in fact, a slight shift in any direction can make a big difference. And a zoom CAN help incredibly when composing the shot. You may not be able or want to move in or out yourself, but if used properly, a zoom can help get the composition you were looking for.

And yes, look at other photographers work but after you learn some of the basics of composition. You can figure out what they did maybe!

Good luck and please have fun!

02-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I agree with all the above comments and maybe my experiance will help too. I joined a local photographic club many years ago, and just seeing other members photo's and listening to the thinking behind them, eventualy led to winning many of the club competitions. The only trick after that, was knowing when to throw away the rules