Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Building a website and improving my business as a peer potrait photographer?

Hello everyone, I am new around these parts! I have been a Pentax K-7 user for a while and I am a semi-professional photographer. I am quite well known by the aristocracy because this is what I specialize in, I take pictures of gentlemen, peers and members of the gentry. This all started when I took pictures of a friend of my mother whom happens to be a princess and then things evolved naturally and all these noblemen wanted a portrait shot by me.

I have now shot many european noblemen, their relatives and even a few minor Politicians.

Being from a good background myself though not noble it seems to be highly appreciated by those that I shoot that I am a.. Well, a gentleman and behave in a way in which they expect upper class people to behave. It seems to me like I have found a great niche! While I do not charge much my reputation is growing and I might want to turn this into a business.

To that end I would like to set up a website. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to hire a designer? I already have a server and domain name. My budget is not very high since I suffer LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) and I'd be willing to invest about 500 for the website. I know exactly what I want the design to look like and I just need someone to do it. Does this sound realistic?

Other than that I would really appreciate any advice you can give me on staying on top in this little niche of mine. Thank you!

01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, welcome to the Forum. I'm not sure what the going rate is for Web Design in the UK so I can't tell if this is enough, but I would think it should be possible to get started quite easily for this amount. I have a few friends in London some of whom do It work and almost all involved in some variant of the arts who may be able to suggest someone for you. I'll send off a couple of messages and see if I get any reply and let you know
there are a number of people who are using the I shoot people name on the web so you may want to consider an alternate for your business name (at least 3 come to mind right now)

It sounds like you have a built in market (that will likely depend heavily on referrals) This niche isn't one easily marketed to, and you do seem to have an inside track. For me the hardest part with shooting for people I know is charging a fair market price YMMV
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
First, welcome to the Forum. I'm not sure what the going rate is for Web Design in the UK so I can't tell if this is enough, but I would think it should be possible to get started quite easily for this amount. I have a few friends in London some of whom do It work and almost all involved in some variant of the arts who may be able to suggest someone for you. I'll send off a couple of messages and see if I get any reply and let you know
there are a number of people who are using the I shoot people name on the web so you may want to consider an alternate for your business name (at least 3 come to mind right now)

It sounds like you have a built in market (that will likely depend heavily on referrals) This niche isn't one easily marketed to, and you do seem to have an inside track. For me the hardest part with shooting for people I know is charging a fair market price YMMV
Hello Eddie, thanks for your answer. I just chose I shoot people as a forum name, I use my full name as business name so people can easily recognize me. So far I have tried to be elegant more than professional. I use a white business card with my name one it in a raised font and nothing else, I usually add any details by hand as it is the most elegant and traditional (yes, old fashioned I know) way to use business cards but as a means of addressing a younger clientelle (the sons and daughters of these people) I would very much like to have a website and I was also considering getting a bit into Fashion Photography though I am still unsure about that because there so many tasteless clothes made nowadays, especially for men!

So far I have been charging between 50 and 100 for a Portrait as I don't really know the market and have done a few portraits for free (for people whom are so famous that I thought it would be beneficial to have them in my portfolio) but my grandmother who used to be a model in the 60ies thinks I could easily make 1000 a shoot if I manage to get on top of that niche and include industrialists, politicians etc as well. Last summer I was asked to shoot a well known actress (she isn't too well known worldwide but well known in Italy) and got paid 500 for it. This was my biggest job so far! I have now shot about 30 or so people in total.

I don't know if I mentioned this but I am still very young and sometimes people don't trust my skills because of my youth, not sure what to do about this...

Last edited by I shoot people; 01-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by I shoot people Quote
I don't know if I mentioned this but I am still very young and sometimes people don't trust my skills because of my youth, not sure what to do about this...
People will trust youth if you look geeky enough and carry some large expensive looking equipment. But it maybe hard to combine elegance and geekiness. On the other hand, it is much much easier to look older than to look younger. You seem to know enough 'famous' people, get to know some of the people who dress these people and do their makeup, I am sure they could age you by a decade pretty easy by giving you hints on clothing and hairstyle...

01-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Fashion is a whole different ball game, not my thing at all though I do have a friend who is quite successful at it (George Whiteside). and an acquaintance from my distant past (i'm not so young) has done pretty well in the shoe business in Europe(Patrick Cox). Not sure how much they make on shoots but I know they can be very expensive to produce. If you are young a stint as an apprentice (commonly known as slave lol) to a fashion photographer would be a good introduction. Benjikan on the forum shoots for harpers, vogue etc in Paris using Pentax (he's probably the only one using Pentax)

Sounds like you've got a start. the rates you have charged are probably low but as you said you are young and just starting. Don't under price yourself though it is a hard rut to escape.
I make more off art than the type of work you do so I can't speak to what rates should be there are others here far more experienced in that end.

One guy I know from his days as a Music Manager has switched to photography his web site is below. he is between London and Ibiza

Geoff Fenney - Photography

I emailed someone else for a referral for a web designer in London (I was assuming you were there, or at least are able to deal with someone there)

]
edit:
Oh and as for overcoming the youth thing, pretty much experience, portfolio and time will take care of that for you
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
People will trust youth if you look geeky enough and carry some large expensive looking equipment. But it maybe hard to combine elegance and geekiness. On the other hand, it is much much easier to look older than to look younger. You seem to know enough 'famous' people, get to know some of the people who dress these people and do their makeup, I am sure they could age you by a decade pretty easy by giving you hints on clothing and hairstyle...
Equipment doesn't make the man! I don't think I'd want a Nikon D3S if I could afford it, I am happy with my Pentax and good at using it and that is what matters I think!
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Equipment doesn't make the man! I don't think I'd want a Nikon D3S if I could afford it, I am happy with my Pentax and good at using it and that is what matters I think!
And really if you want to impress in the portrait and fashion world Canon and Nikon won't cut it. A Pentax 645D would, any Leica will, as will pretty much all the Medium format. That being said what counts is the result not the gear. it's a beginner mistake to think otherwise. As long as the gear lets you implement your vision it is the right gear. I've seen Vogue fashion shots done with a Holga and a coloursplash flash, the Girl taking them has made it her signature and is quite well paid, sure she has good gear as well but it wash the $100 worth of holga that made her (well more than $100 I believe she has about 20 of them at this point)

I personally would kill for the Kr robot edition for shooting musician interviews because I can't imagine a quicker icebreaker to put someone in a good mood who has been on the road and sitting through the same old stuff town after town.

the K7 is a great camera to develop your craft on, the limited lenses and a lot of the old glass are great for portraits. As time goes on you'll outgrow the 7 and buy up. And if you are blessed you'll hit a point where the 645D is justifiable (medium format cameras are truly fantastic portrait machines with amazing DOF and OOF areas)

If you stick with it you'll likely own many different cameras, not all will likely be Pentax as Pentax doesn't make cameras for all uses (though compact and quiet the k7 and k5 are poor street machines compared to a leica with a noctilux lens)
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I am not sure I want to go into fashion really. I am not pleased with this whole pop culture thing. I am a very conservative person. I believe in Turnbull & Asser shirts with Creed scent and Anderson and Sheppard suits!

I am interested in it because it allows for a lot of creativity but on the other hand male fashion is in poor shape at the moment.

Female Fashion on the other hand can be quite interesting sometimes.

01-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

most of the shoots are female fashion, magazines fopr women outnumber mens about 10 to 1
really though when it is the paying gig you are being paid to make it look good even if it doesn't
thats the hard part
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
most of the shoots are female fashion, magazines fopr women outnumber mens about 10 to 1
really though when it is the paying gig you are being paid to make it look good even if it doesn't
thats the hard part
Well about that... I have to admit that I am quite difficult. I sometimes refuse to shoot people for various reasons. For example if they don't look natural (as in obvious face/lip/boob job). I also refuse to photography tatoos and piercings. I once refused to photography an English Baron because he was wearing a belt with his dinner jacket... I know, I know... I'm difficult.
01-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How did an American such as yourself come to be rubbing elbows with all the finest old families of Europe? Your real name wouldn't happen to be "Walter Mitty", would it?

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-28-2011 at 05:54 AM.
01-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
How did an American such as yourself come to be rubbing elbows with all the finest old families of Europe? Your real name wouldn't happen to be "Walter Mitty", would it?
I was thinking more like Tom Ripley.

And guys, I have a hard time buying this whole thing.
01-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

01-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

I am pretty confident his eyes are brown. I can't see how anybody could be that full of sh*t and not have brown eyes.
01-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I am not american...