Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

The truth about mirrorless

When it comes to mirrorless cameras a question arises: how can these cameras become system cameras? The truth is they lack of the most important thing: lenses. Because what's the point to use your old big lenses via adaptors etc. in those small bodies. You can't carry them with you easily, nor is there any pocket big enough to put them in. So when we are talking about lenses for mirrorless cameras we expect to get pancakes. Till now there are almost no decent bright lenses for mirrorless from any brand. Namely there is only a 20mm/1.7 from Panasonic ( which is too wide for general shooting) and a 30mm/2 from Samsung. That's all. When it comes to Pentax, only FA 43/1.9 meets the criteria.
Your thoughts?

01-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The 20mm for the Panasonic mirrorless actually is like shooting with a 30mm on an APS-C camera since the m4/3 is double the reach of a full frame. Sony has an E mount in a 16/2.8 for their NEX which equates to a 24mm on a APS-C.

In general, the zooms for the m/43 as well as the G mount for Sony are very small in comparison than a typical Pentax/Tamron/Sigma zoom.

There are more lenses available for these little mirrorless systems than you may be aware of...and being a relatively new technology, the lineup is surely to grow as more products are released.

I have always looked at it like this, if the products dont meet your needs, dont buy into it.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 01-29-2011 at 05:15 AM.
01-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well, 20mm in 4/3 is 26mm in APS-C, and f/2.8 is no bright lens. It is marginally normal.
The m/43 zooms are still big (you can't put camera in a big pocket).

Jason, I wrote the post above, to summarize how deficient the mirrorless cameras are. I am not looking for excuses to beautify them.
01-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Well, 20mm in 4/3 is 26mm in APS-C, and f/2.8 is no bright lens. It is marginally normal.
The m/43 zooms are still big (you can't put camera in a big pocket).

Jason, I wrote the post above, to summarize how deficient the mirrorless cameras are. I am not looking for excuses to beautify them.
And I wasnt trying to beautify them either, just offering my point of view.

P.S. Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 Pancake for m4/3

Jason

01-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why so combative? Itis just another camera system. One person's opinion also does not equal the truth, and you certainly have not presented a smoking gun there. Will you change your tune when pentax enters the mirrorless market?
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Why so combative? Itis just another camera system. One person's opinion also does not equal the truth, and you certainly have not presented a smoking gun there. Will you change your tune when pentax enters the mirrorless market?
Ha, who's compative? The fact that it is just another camera system means that we should not waste our valuable time to criticize?
Who says it is opinion? please. These are facts.
01-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To discuss the system it really comes down to personal preference / intended use.
I'm not very interested in these systems currently due to the small sensor size. The wide end of the lenses is lacking IMO. But of course I have film cameras to achieve the very wide.
I will consider the purchase, but my use would be to have a smallish walk around camera with a high quality fixed lens in the normal telephoto range.
I don't think I'd ever consider it as a replacement for my Dslr.

My question is if Pentax enters the market, will they be able to adapt their current lenses to the camera, or will they need to come out with a new line?
There's a lot of places in the current lens line-up that we'd all like to see Pentax expand or make better. If they are going to make a new line-up for a new system, wouldn't that take away from research etc. on the old line that we want / need to see advanced?
01-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have exactly one interest in (m)4/3 or NEX or NX or other such compact interchangeable-lens cameras, and it ain't in using fancy new wee tiny lenses nor huge legacy stuff. I just want a platform for (hopefully) cheap cine / CCTV / c-mount glass. I've a 15-25/1.2 I'm dying to try out.

Others have other concerns. Such a midget *can* be a system camera for those concerned with weight / size, like some of my hiker friends. It's rather like back in film days when I could fit my entire 135/HF (half-frame, same frame size as APS-C) Olympus Pen-FT SLR system in one pocket of a field jacket, with 24-40-100mm lenses and a TC. Couldn't do that with a Nikon F or even a Spotty, eh?

ObOT: I think we can assume that if/as the midget platforms gain marketplace traction, more / better lenses will be available. Meanwhile, they provide homes for legacy short-register glass. I seem to recall that a firm named E.Leitz produced such, that some users find acceptable.

01-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Meanwhile, they provide homes for legacy short-register glass. I seem to recall that a firm named E.Leitz produced such, that some users find acceptable.
yeah
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #10

I recently parted ways with my Oly PEN E-P2 - a fantastic little camera that worked a treat for most things combined with the excellent Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

turns out i missed the feel of a dSLR in my hands. K5 was the only one not wrist-breakingly huge and heavy that had the quality i'd accept for low light, coming down from FF.

having said that, I shot Public Enemy a few weeks ago using the PEN and 20mm and it worked a treat. at ISO 1600 and f2.2-2.4 more than excellent hand-holdable shots with in-body-IS.

Public Enemy set on Flickr
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Funny, just in the time since this thread was started, there has been new releases of new 4/3 lenses coming out from Sigma, Zeiss and Schneider Kreuznach, as well as Sony releasing the specs for the E mount. This is opening the doors for there systems to be fitted with Zeiss, Tamron, Sigma and others.

I stand by my first reply to this thread..."being a relatively new technology, the lineup is surely to grow as more products are released."

Jason
02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I much prefer the NEX to the micro 4/3... bigger sensor is always a plus, and just for kicks the dam thing is actually smaller than the panasonic G1 or GH1 or w/e the micro 4/3 carries.
02-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #13

I'm sure it (m4/3, mirrorless - i LOVE film rangefinders and compacts) will ultimately prove to be awesome, but bodies are just bodies - photography is about the optics.

I want them compact, and I want to use them *now* not in 2-5 years, when the system hits maturity (i.e professional credibility). Portability is still the benchmark; you can't shoot with the camera you don't carry (because it's too bulky/heavy or not weatherproof - whatever).

Right now, Pentax is winning. If there's a system change in my future, so be it. What kind of an idiot creator builds his output around the tools? You obtain the tools that best suit your process. I tried the compact, excellent Zuiko optics on C*non, but the portability factor was crap, even if the image quality was high.

Right now, for me, on the balance of all requirements (portability being paramount) Pentax and it's small high quality primes, wins.