Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Does anyone here like

to play around with toy cameras? I have a holga from back in college that I use pretty frequently, although I'm thinking of getting a new one because of some rather annoying light leaks I can't seem to find the source of. Then, I am also thinking of trying a Diana (despite it's new found trendiness with all the urban outfitters kids). I have a Lubitel 166 which I believe is also made by the Lomo company, but I don't use it as often.

What do you all like to use? Should I give the Diana a try?

02-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a holga (light leaks as usual) my brother in law has the diana and gets some pretty good results given the nature of the camera. I also have the Fisheye camera (fun if a little overpriced it was a gift)
I got one of the little silver ones that takes four shots on one frame for christmas but haven't tried it out yet (it's really a fair weather camera needing lots of light to do it's trick)
you could just buy a roll of Duct tape and seal the whole holga in it
02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Maybe you can help me Eddie. While i love occasional light leaks, i seem to have the same ones every time in my holga. i've tried taping up the 2 little holes on the inside top, but it didn't seem to do anything. let me know if you have any suggestions!

02-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the leaks you see are at the bottom not the top (remember the image on the negative is inverted in the camera
looks like taping the bottom of the camera with electrical tape (reusable several times) will solve this (I run tape along the entire back opening to be safe - a bit of a pain but i expected it with the holga)

Sorry this is on one side or the other not the bottom wasn't thinking about the orientation. (unless the 645 mask is like this in landscape mode), i never use it as when i want to have a 645 image i just use my bronica. the 6x6 image on the holga is my preference i can always crop later

02-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Interesting, that makes sense then, that it would be along the bottom not the top. didn't even think of that! I have tried putting black electrical tape around the "seams" of the camera, but it still didn't seem to help. Odd... well i'll keep trying to play with it i guess and see what happens. thanks!
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have Brownies and their ilk, even a couple Diana-clones (Akira TC-002 and Lavec LT-002). but haven't yet had a Holga come my way. It could happen...

But I got a Holga-like effect with my first digicam, a fixed-lens 1.1mpx Sony DSC-P20. How? With an Exacto-knife, I cut a cardboard mask with a fairly square but not totally clean-edged hole that just cleared the lens edges, and taped it into place on the body. Well-illuminated subjects appeared to have been shot with a bad Brownie. Aiming slightly sunwards produced lovely glare, flare, diminished contrast / saturation / hue, all that good Holga stuff.
02-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

hahaha Rico
All mine came my way as gifts. for some reason my family thinks plastic cameras are my thing must be my obsession with buying old camera gear (though to be realistic I by old good camera gear lol)

02-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aren't the light leaks the whole point of using a Holga?

Lomography
02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

if you look at the pics Lomo posts you would think so
I've gotten a couple of nice shots out of the holga though without light leaks
it's hit and miss with a (dubious) 1/100 shutter (and more dubious) f8/11 aperture
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
i do like light leaks sometimes. but they appear in the same spot every time (such as in the image i posted). and can sometimes ruin a good photo i think.