Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice for Shooting in Nashville Area

This topic doesn't exactly fit in the list of approved topics for this forum, but I didn't think there was a better place for it, so my apologies if I erred.

I am going to be traveling to the Nashville area on business in mid-March and I have arranged to be able to spend an extra day so I can have an opportunity to bum around and do some photographing. I was hoping I could get some advice from some PF members that are familiar with the area on good things to go and see that would provide good photographic opportunities.

02-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #2

Hello Greg,

As a former Nashvillian, I can tell you there are lots of interesting places to photograph in the downtown area. If you have time to travel half an hour or more, opportunities abound. Notwithstanding, if this is a typical business trip and your travel options are limited, I would definitely visit the full scale replica of the Parthenon on West End Ave. You may also be interested in a trip to Opryland Hotel -- if you're staying there, you won't have to leave the premises for some nice shots -- near the grand ol' Opry, which is another favorite. Union Station also presents some interesting scenery for people shots. The whole downtown area is usually astir after dark and will lend itself to more street type photography. Check out "12th and Porter" for live music and a meal or head to printer's alley, nearby. Plenty to see there. Lastly, you may photograph the citywide landscape from one of the bridges spanning the Clinch river.

Enjoy your stay,

Ernest

Last edited by Shimbabwe; 02-02-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll be staying at the Loews Vanderbilt during the week, and the rest of my travel companions are leaving midday Friday, and I don't fly out until Saturday, so I can pretty much do whatever I want. I just want to have a plan because with so little time, I want to be efficient.
02-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
So many locations, so little time

Greg,
As a resident of Middle TN for over 20 years I think you won't be disappointed.
The Parthenon and West End area are definitely worth exploring as well as the
2nd Ave area at night. If you're looking for a nature trek while staying in town
check out the Shelby Bottoms Nature Area. Nice trail along the Cumberland River
with a surprising amount of wildlife right in town. There is also a foot bridge across the river to the Opryland area. Same vein, Radnor Lake State Natural Area is in south Nashville. This is the area John Netherton spent a lot of time in. Wild flowers will be peaking out about the time of your visit. Just to the west are the Warner Parks with several miles of trails and the Harpeth River. Keep in mind that mid-March is in the middle of severe weather season so be prepared. Have a great visit.
Ralph

02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been to the city before on business, but we mostly scoot in and scoot out without really doing anything except eat and drink. Isn't there a big park near where I am staying on West End Ave? I've heard some people talk about it, but I don't recall what they called it.
02-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
clm

That's Centennial Park, where the Parthenon is.
03-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A bit late for the party on this one

I am sure you won't see this post until after you are already back from your trip here to Nashville. I do hope you were able to get out and take some pictures. The weather of late has been rainy and cold but this weekend it is suppose to be nice.

As most have stated Centennial Park is nice and the Parthenon is nice to visit outside and inside. You and anyone that is interested can have a look at my Flickr page and I have captures that I have taken at Centennial Park and at Radnor Lake. I am thinking about heading to the TN State Museum and to the Capital on Saturday. The museum does not charge to get in and will be parking on the West Side of the capital so while there will take a few captures.

I have been researching places that don't charge to get in and there are not many tourists spots that don't charge. I am thinking about going out and exploring some of the Green ways they have created for some nature captures.

If you or anyone else has any other questions about Nashville I will try my best to answer those questions.

Jeffery