Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Taking pictures of indoor basketball.

Hi!

I have a Pentax K-X and I wanted to take pictures of my sister's basketball team in action during a game in a gymnasium. However, my pictures are mostly blurry and the colors are a bit washed out.

I performed a manual white balance and my ISO is usually somewhere between 1600 and 3200.

Anyone can help me improving my pictures?

02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You need to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action which would require a wide aperture. If you were using the kit lens it would be nowhere near fast enough to get the shutter speed you need. You might try a higher ISO which you could probably get away with on the Kx.

Basketball gyms while they look bright, they really are not an are terrible to shoot in.
02-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It gets back to photography basics, and if you don't understand them then I'd encourage you to learn them. You have ISO, aperture and shutter speed; those 3 things control your exposure. Sounds like your shutter speed is too slow. Your ISO is already high but try 3200-6400. I'd guess you are using a kit lens at it's widest aperture already, if you aren't then ensure you are using the widest possble.

If that still doesn't give you the shutter speed you need (maybe 1/250?), then you need a faster lens to give an even wider aperture.
02-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #4

I took some photos at a basketball game about a month ago.
I have a K-r and used a Tamron 70-300mm 4.5-5.6, which is not a fast lens.
ISO was set to 800 and I could get shutter speeds up to 1/250.

There are some photos from that shoot that can be seen at: Olimpija - Crvena Zvezda

What mode did you use for shooting? I suggest you try the Tv mode next time if M is too much and try setting the shutter speed to somewhere around 1/200 and see how much you need to up the ISO to get satisfiable shots.

02-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am just a hobby photographer. The sports that I shoot is mostly my son playing basketball.

WB: depending on the gym, it is either tungsten or auto wb that I shoot with. Fairly ok. I suppose I could shoot RAW format but no time to fool with it.
Shutter speed: 1/500; sometimes 1/250
ISO: 6400
Aperture: f2.8
Lens: pentax da 50-135

Most of the pics I shoot are discarded; its not just getting the exposure right, hard to get good composition of fast moving players...

I will see if I can post some pics later. Off to work now...
02-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Basketball gyms while they look bright, they really are not and are terrible to shoot in.

Amen to that! And they sometimes have mixed (tungsten/florescent/sodium and God only know what else) light which totally hoses WB.

The good news is that the K-x, K-r & K-5 are good tools for the job because of the high ISO performance.

I shoot my daughter's games in TAv (1/400s & f/3.5) and let the camera set the ISO.

Oh and keep in mind that technical flaws can be forgiven if you capture good action & intensity.

In badly lit venues, go...um...creative

02-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

Original Poster

Here is a picture in action of a basketball I shot last week. Look at the washed out colors I was referring to...

ISO: 3200
F-stop: f/6.3
Exp: 1/80

02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that's way better than my early attempts, HaWaIi50! You did a pretty nice job of panning but you're still getting motion blur in the arms & legs and I think you'd be better off with a much faster shutter speed, wider aperture and higher ISO. The color & contrast in the main subject isn't too bad: so I suspect the panning washed out the background to some extent. In any case, a little pp tweaking would do wonders.

Oh, and were you using the lens hood? If not, you certainly should.

Last edited by dadipentak; 02-03-2011 at 10:20 AM.
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Very quick PP here to increase exposure, alter the white balance a bit and add some contrast and sharpening.

But yeah, a bit more shutter speed would do wonders for sharpness and perhaps some exposure compensation or disable D-Range.
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
I am a newbie with my camera, but what is D-range?
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #11

Should be buried somewhere in the settings. It helps prevent over-exposure but might lead to darker pictures.
02-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HaWaIi50 Quote

Here is a picture in action of a basketball I shot last week. Look at the washed out colors I was referring to...

ISO: 3200
F-stop: f/6.3
Exp: 1/80
Very nice if you ask me! Just a little PP boost (like from Picasa's "I'm feeling lucky") is all that's needed.

You've done a good job panning & the resultant horizontal motion smear in the background adds to the dynamic feeling of the shot. You'd likely benefit from a lens faster than f:6.3 but you've done well with what you have!

Dave
02-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
If I want a good lens (not too expensive) to shoot during sports events, which one would you suggest me?
02-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Amen to that! And they sometimes have mixed (tungsten/florescent/sodium and God only know what else) light which totally hoses WB.

The good news is that the K-x, K-r & K-5 are good tools for the job because of the high ISO performance.

I shoot my daughter's games in TAv (1/400s & f/3.5) and let the camera set the ISO.

Oh and keep in mind that technical flaws can be forgiven if you capture good action & intensity.

In badly lit venues, go...um...creative
Really like that first shot, well seen and captured, I'd be well pleased if that were mine.
02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HaWaIi50 Quote
If I want a good lens (not too expensive) to shoot during sports events, which one would you suggest me?
Something that's f:2.8 (or a little faster maybe) would be great; faster than 2.0 will be hard to focus. But your results at ISO 3200 look good. If you'd get an f:4 lens it'd be much easier to focus, and the shutter speed could be (6.3/4.0)^2 = 2.48 times faster.

The lens length depends on how close you can be and how tight a field of view you like.

The basic equation is:

Focal.Length.mm = Sensor.width.mm*(Scene.Distance/Scene.width)

The Pentax sensor width is about 24mm, so rounding up to 25mm for convenience,

Focal.length.mm ~ 25mm (distance/width) or height in portrait orientation.

Say you'll be 40' from the Basket (mid-court front seat). If you want a portrait mode shot from the floor to the basket (10' off the ground) the focal length needed would be something like:

Focal.length ~ 25 *(40'/10') = 100mm

One of the best lenses available is the DA(L ) 55-300 zoom. It is F:4.5 at 200mm so would work well in your gym. The L version would cost you about $250, the non-L about $350.

Dave