Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

The State of Large Format Film Photography???

Wondering if any of you folks can fill me on the state of state of large format (5x7 or 8x10) film availability, chemicals, etc. Is it still a feasible option? Are the supplies still readily available?

I haven't done film work in over 10 years, but still have a deep-seated love of large format.

I would probably do film development and scanning only.

Any help or opinions would be most appreciated.

02-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Freestyle still sells 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 films: Black & White Film Sheet Film - ULF Ultra Large Format | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
02-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There may be more large format camera manufacturers now than 30 or 40 years ago. As you are in the States Freestyle has a huge variety and some of the Eastern European films are inexpensive. Kodak has dropped off many of the sizes in some of their films but special orders are possible (like 15000 dollar orders) But take heart usually several companies get together to purchase much of it to make it possible. For example I have just started with a whole plate (6.5 X 8.5 inch) camera and am able to buy TMax 100 and 400 FP4 and HP5.

4X5 is by far the easiest to get film for followed by 8X10 then 5X7 and finally by all the others such as 11X17, 4X10 etc. Chemicals are still available and of course they are the same for all formats.

With the internet film and such are actually easier to obtain than pre-digital era and least for those of use who live in smaller commnities. Check out the large format photographer forum

Large Format Photography Forum

Some also use paper for negatives especially for the larger formats and of course it is cheaper especially if you get it from some one who junked their darkroom.

Badger and Midwest are dealers many look to for equipment.

I am happy with the darkroom and almost only shoot black and white in large format as do not have as good a scanner as for medium format film. It is feasible if you enjoy it and is there any other reason to do so unless you are shooting for a client.
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies and links.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do.