Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.
I think you need to watch these 3 videos;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvC0LJCyeE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHSW1W5COs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGkzMyR5Ow&feature=related

I learned a lot by watching the whole dvd set (2discs)
just watch these, try it out yourself, and learn all about it untill you know it from heart. you can do wonderful things using only one light and a limited setup, just don't doubt it and don't be hesitant of bumping your iso up over 400.. you do pp anyway
This was very interesting...thanks for the info.! I may even look for more of those videos.

02-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Given the difficult conditions for bounce flash you may encounter, another suggestion would be to either get a flash bracket (ugly piece of equipment, but quite handy) or a P-TTL hotshoe extension cable, that will enable you to hold the camera with one hand, the flash in your other and get off-camera like lighting effects once you mater the right angle to hold the flash at. With a StoFen or Gary Fong diffuser you can get some excellent results.

This is the TR-3 power pack I mentioned earlier: PentaxWebstore TR Power Pack 3
with a thread discussing it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/94324-tr-...batteries.html
OP's camera has 4 channel iTTL optical remote flash capability already. You can use the plastic foot, a stand or an assistant to hold the flash off camera. If it's anything like my Nikon, you can fire multiple groups of iTTL flashes off the on camera pop up.

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
Everyone keeps mentioning multiple flash set ups. I'm wondering how you do this at a wedding and reception where people are moving around constantly? I don't have more than one 540 anyway, so I won't be able to shoot that way, but I'm wondering how it's done.
RTFM! It's a very nice feature. You can bring your own reflectors to bounce off also. You should have someone there helping you.
02-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
OP's camera has 4 channel iTTL optical remote flash capability already. You can use the plastic foot, a stand or an assistant to hold the flash off camera. If it's anything like my Nikon, you can fire multiple groups of iTTL flashes off the on camera pop up.

RTFM! It's a very nice feature. You can bring your own reflectors to bounce off also. You should have someone there helping you.
I have read my manual, and being rude isn't necessary. I am fully aware that my flash has remote ability, I just don't have multiple flashes, and in my experience, there is a lot of moving around the room, therefore my issue is about how to know where to put the lights, NOT HOW TO USE THEM!!!!!!!!!
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Not being rude. Just my dry sense of humor.
I can't help you on the particulars because I'm not familiar with your system.
If you can't find a helper and are definitely going solo, you can do that. You just have to move faster. (That was a joke!)
If you know how to remote fire your speedlight, then all you need is a stand or clamp. An umbrella (someone mentioned), stand, bracket and speedlight would give you best bang for buck and maximum portability.
If you're asking where to actually place your lighting, that depends on a lot of things. My general preference is high camera left. (Not a joke!)

02-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
Not being rude. Just my dry sense of humor.
I can't help you on the particulars because I'm not familiar with your system.
If you can't find a helper and are definitely going solo, you can do that. You just have to move faster. (That was a joke!)
If you know how to remote fire your speedlight, then all you need is a stand or clamp. An umbrella (someone mentioned), stand, bracket and speedlight would give you best bang for buck and maximum portability.
If you're asking where to actually place your lighting, that depends on a lot of things. My general preference is high camera left. (Not a joke!)
I'm sorry I misinterpreted your response. I just don't use certain words, so when someone uses them on me, they come across as very strong.

I am going to have someone with me as a second shooter. I have used my external flash on a tripod and with an umbrella remotely before, I just wasn't picturing how it would cover a large area. Again, I'm assuming a lot of moving from one place to another, not all activity in one place. I'll think about it a little more and perhaps it'll come together and make sense before the wedding! And yes, "where to place the lighting" is the question that this has turned into.
02-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'll allow it.:ugh:

A pocket bouncer may be the thing for you if you're running around taking pot shots. On camera can work nicely.
The umbrella would be for bride and groom at the alter or doing the slow dance etc.
02-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I guess I'll look into buying the external battery pack. I will also google strobist techniques. Also, the room in which I will be working my next wedding has a very high ceiling, so bouncing off of that won't be an option. I do have the diffuser, so I am able to get decent shots by just angling the flash head slightly.
Have you ever considered one of these bounce cards ?

The new Studio Pro Flash Diffuser has arrived!!! | Peter Greggs ABBC ABetterBounceCard for Canon Flash Nikon Flash and Digital Cameras

Or you can make one yourself just to save money .

02-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #38

Photos: Gallery
shoot iso 1600 all the time with my gx20, the solution lightroom 3.3

check out my flickr stream, i was tempted with the k-5 but lightroom has put that purchase of for at least a year...
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
shoot iso 1600 all the time with my gx20, the solution lightroom 3.3

check out my flickr stream, i was tempted with the k-5 but lightroom has put that purchase of for at least a year...
Those are some awesome shots Gary. Do you remember approx. how you shot them? SS/AP/lens and any other info. you can give me? I am going to go look for comparisons between the Samsung and the Pentax ISOs right now.

Thanks!
02-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Can you be a little more specific about equipment? I don't really understand the reference to "big potato-masher flashes", nor do I know anything about "belt-worn battery packs". I have a 2.8 zoom lens that I would LOVE to use, so if I can make that happen, I'd really like that!

Thanks so much!

A potato masher (aka handle-mount) flash is a large, high-powered unit that has a handle with the flash head mounted at the top. The handle is attached to the camera by means of a bracket using the tripod socket as a mounting point. This is different from hot-shoe mounted flashes and has some technical advantages in addition to allowing the use of large flash heads that would probably break a hot shoe.

Flashes of this type usually have a separate battery case that is connected to the camera by a cable and worn on a shoulder strap or a belt. Some also have a cable that connects to the hot shoe for TTL operation.

A big battery pack gives fast recycling times, meaning more potential for keeping up with your camera.

Many older flashes have built-in sensors for automatic exposure independent of the camera's TTL flash. They often work surprisingly well. This also frees you from proprietary TTL systems.

Because the K20D has a proper X sync socket it will work very happily with this type of flash in non-TTL mode. I've had good results using a Vivitar 283 this way.
02-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery
not really much difference quality wise between samsung & pentax.

usualy shoot live shows at 2.8 1/80ish

but like i said its all down to lr 3.3 the new noise reduction is superb...