Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Going to Vietnam in summer: precautions to take in humidity

I´m going for my honey moon to Vietnam (& Cambodia briefly) at the beginning of June this year & want to ask for advice in protecting my gear, primarily against the risk of fungus caused by the humidity. Temperatures can reach up to 38ºC (though the average is 33º) but it will be very humid.

My gear will be a K200D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax DA 55-300, and a few M manual primes. I had hoped to add the DA 35 Macro to that lineup but it doesn´t look like the finances will stretch to it. I might add the DAL 35 f/2.4. I will probably take my Canon A530 as a compact too. All this will be carried in a Lowepro Primus Minimus AW backpack, which is a rugged photography backpack with a pull-over rain cover.

My main concern is the risk of fungus caused by the humidity. I have ordered a number of silica dessicant envelopes to keep with the lenses, and the backpack should keep all items well protected while they´re inside. I understand that microwaving the silica removes any stored moisture to restore effectiveness.

Are there any other precautions I should take? I think I will try to take out dedicated photo equipment insurance (if I can find such a thing in Spain) - will this cover fungus damage?

Many thanks for any help you guys can offer.

02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never been in that part of the world, but do take my pentax gear on backpacking and camping trips where wet conditions in summer or snow in winter can be a problem.

My suggestion is to pack all your lenses individually in ziplock bags with dessicant in the bags, and then put them in your camera bag. That way even if your camera bag springs a leak, your lenses are safe. It also allows you to open your camera bag in the rain and not get everything inside it wet.

It will also prevent condensation when taking your camera bag from a cold and dry hotel or restaurant out into the hot and humid exterior.

I use ziplock type bags inside my camera bag, and even inside my backpack to pack my clothes... it's an old backpackers trick.

Pat
02-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
BRNO Dri + KIT Dehumidifying Caps for Canon DRI+KITCAN B&H Photo

maybe something like this will help,if you can find similar for pentax, and to have a good camera bag, keep a small nylon sock on the bottom of each lens compartment containing a bit of rice (a table-spoon amount), with that you'll be able to both monitor the level of humidity collecting in a given amount of time, and protect your gear from it (and it's a cheap refill of rice compared to the commercial gel-packs)
hope this helps
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
June is the rain season in Vietnam. Anything not WR should left it at home. Humidity very high.
Depend on location, it's not raining all time all day, but short and heavy rain and flood in the first hour. Some kind of water proof backpack is good to have. Silica gel wouldn't help much, but still useful.

I had my ME super with 20 rolls of dias, 50mm 1.4 and an advanced P&S + 1 flash. Another configuration would be my k20 and the 35 macro + flash + P&S. That's me. I m not bringing all 'required-focal-for-travel' but use what I have - and light weight. I went for the ME super + P&S.

02-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To get lots of silica gell go to a shoe stood and ask if they save the cell from display shoes. Some outdoor stores do this

Each day you are out you need to make sure that at night everything is dry. Wipe down your lenses and when putting them away at night in their case leave the rear cover off to let the lens breathe
02-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I´m going for my honey moon to Vietnam (& Cambodia briefly) at the beginning of June this year & want to ask for advice in protecting my gear, primarily against the risk of fungus caused by the humidity. Temperatures can reach up to 38ºC (though the average is 33º) but it will be very humid.

My gear will be a K200D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax DA 55-300, and a few M manual primes. I had hoped to add the DA 35 Macro to that lineup but it doesn´t look like the finances will stretch to it. I might add the DAL 35 f/2.4. I will probably take my Canon A530 as a compact too. All this will be carried in a Lowepro Primus Minimus AW backpack, which is a rugged photography backpack with a pull-over rain cover.

My main concern is the risk of fungus caused by the humidity. I have ordered a number of silica dessicant envelopes to keep with the lenses, and the backpack should keep all items well protected while they´re inside. I understand that microwaving the silica removes any stored moisture to restore effectiveness.

Are there any other precautions I should take? I think I will try to take out dedicated photo equipment insurance (if I can find such a thing in Spain) - will this cover fungus damage?

Many thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Having made several extended trips myself to Vietnam, I would suggest that you are cautious when leaving air conditioned hotels and be prepared to protect your equipment in heavy rains. I always had at least one camera and assorted lenses with me, but never had a problem with fungis or internal condensation.
Let common sense and caution prevail.
02-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Silica Gel Packets - SilicaGelPackets.com

if you wanted to order some here is a place you can get it in bulk

02-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I am looking into getting a WR version of the kit lens, either new or used, for any time when the weather gets really bad. I can´t afford to leave behind anything that´s not WR as I will have almost nothing & the kit lens is simply not good enough to take full advantage of what I hope will be a holiday of a lifetime. I will probably invest in proper Lowepro lens cases for the 17-50 & the 55-300 as extra protection within the backpack.
02-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I live in Vietnam right now and I have over 50 lenses with me at the moment. The humidity will be really high during the summer time hence just make sure you have a great backpack that is water seal and a lot of silica. It's a good measure to bring Ziplock bags as well.
02-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

There's something similar to silica but better and safer.

Check your hardware/ home improvement stores for something called Damp-Rid. Boat places and RV dealers sell it also to seriously remove moisture. I used it for wet carpet in my teardrop trailer and the stuff dried it out in a few hours.

It disappears when it's done all it can do, and you have to refill the canister. And you can rig your own canister--just something with a few holes to hold the stuff, like a powder.
02-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

This is one of the formats the stuff comes in--packets for sports bags:

DampRid Disposable - Sachet Moisture Absorber 4 Pack - FG402 at The Home Depot
02-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #12

Your backpack is weather-proof, not humidity proof, which is key. Earlier suggestions for ziplock bags for your lenses, with desiccant in each are spot on. All the better if you get one big enough for your camera and whatever lens it has on it. I'd minimize my kit to 2 or 3 lenses only - it's hard to find places clean and dry enough to change anyway.

If you're going to be in and out of small boats, you might consider a 15-20 liter dry bag. I've bought a couple of "ocean packs" in the region for about $20. An extra $20 will get you a "Cushion Pad" insert set (cylinder, end caps and divider).