Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Since many pentax models use the exact same sensor as nikon and Sony cameras you should point this out and ask them why they permit nikon and Sony cameras
precisely, I use many different camera makes I don't see how using a camera with pentax written on the front changes anything when a finished print is in my hand.

I wonder if they would deign to allow Leica cameras amongst their ranks.

02-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #17

why would you want to work for a company with that narrowmindedness? I have never been asked what gear am I shooting with...
02-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Why the hell would you want to be a part of a team who's idea of "high quality event photography" is standing one spot at a marathon, and taking a poorly exposed snapshot of every person that stumbles by? I would tell them to F off, and take my Pentax elsewhere to go make good photos.
I'm WITH YOU on this one! I'd take my Pentax and go where good photography is appreciated.
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
As I said in the other thread about the same subject... I suspect it may have to do with CF cards vs every other card format. In my Brightroom documentation it specifically says you need CF cards.
Perfect! Go shoot with an *ist D!

02-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder how they feel about FinePix? I should fill out an app.
02-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
As I said in the other thread about the same subject... I suspect it may have to do with CF cards vs every other card format. In my Brightroom documentation it specifically says you need CF cards.
Well, I never knew that the quality of an image depended on the type of memory card used. You learn something new every day!

As has been said, they are certainly not as bright as their name implies.
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Why the hell would you want to be a part of a team who's idea of "high quality event photography" is standing one spot at a marathon, and taking a poorly exposed snapshot of every person that stumbles by? I would tell them to F off, and take my Pentax elsewhere to go make good photos.

I second that! This is not surprising though as I am told that some big sports photog firms require top level FF cameras from Nikon and Canon no exceptions. In fact I found one, can't remember off the top of my head which, that said Nikon D3s or current equivalent.

02-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even the need for a CF card does not make sense. You can get an SD card to CF card adapter for $25 on Amazon.

THere is more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps there are lenses that you can borrow/rent and they only have Cankon. I wonder if Sony is allowed as a camera?
Perhaps someone does not want other competitors cameras to give them market play.
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Nikon and Canon have the two dominating $8,000 pro sports DSLRs. I guess this company (and a lot of others) use this brand stipulation as a sort of litmus to weed out the eccentrics.
Kinda like in British sports cars, you meet a lot of interesting people in photography.
02-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #25

If the reason is they want only CanKon, then they really must be idiots.
I took hundreds of shots of my sons HS XC races with my K100d Super (only 6mp at that! ), and I had WAY more reqeusts from parents and students for reprints than anyone else. I even had competitors teams coaches asking me to forward shots of their runners, which really ticked off the dude from the local paper who was lugging around $10k of Canon gear and wasnt selling anything.

Its not the camera, its the SHOOTER that gets good pix, and if Brightroom wants to SELL PICTURES, then they would hire whomever would give them the best pix to sell. Like the previous poster said, the converter from SD to CF is cheap fast and easy.
02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't think its the brand they're interested in but if you see someone strapped with a couple 1Diii bodies with an L on one and a bigma on the other you pretty much peg him as a pro. Lame yes....but true.
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
I don't think its the brand they're interested in but if you see someone strapped with a couple 1Diii bodies with an L on one and a bigma on the other you pretty much peg him as a pro. Lame yes....but true.
I think you nailed it. While there are many pro photographers that make there living soley off of photography, very few are using advanced amateur cameras(K5,K7, K20, etc) to do it. Of course someone who has never made a dime off of photography is capable making incredible photos with amateur equipment and in many cases better then what the so called pro's can. However; with so many people owning advanced amateur cameras these days I think they do this to weed everyone out, but the most serious. Definately sucks and makes it hard to break into the biz without heavy expenditures as well. I say **** them, go take pictures of the event anyway. Send your photos to them, with large watermarks of course and low res. and say look what you could of had A** H****!

Or just forget them all together and go on enjoying your photogrphy
02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

This peaked my curiousity.... so

My query:

I've been giving thougt to joining your organization.

However, it has come to my attention that you do not accept Photographers who shoot primarily with Pentax Digital SLRs's.

Please let me know if this is true. And, if it is, why?

Respectfully

Ed Woodson

Their response:

RE: Application

Sent By:
"Natalie Ray" <NRay@brightroom.com> On: Feb 02/15/11 4:33 PM

To: "Ed Woodson" <nc5s@comcast.net>

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your interest, however, we do not currently accept Pentax SLR’s. We have an approved equipment list based upon several factors including frames per second, megapixels, etc. While your Pentax may be comparable, this is our policy and we adhere to that. We regret to lose you as a photographer, however, hope that you will contact us in the future should your equipment inventory change.

Thank you,

Natalie Ray

Sports Operations

nray@brightroom.com

brightroom, inc.
02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That's interesting. And where can we see this "approved" list of theirs?
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #30

They get the money from Nikon and Canon but have no guts to speak out aloud. Shame on Brightroom!