Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Don't be so sure. Canon has a VERY small pool of loaner lenses for people in CPS (or whatever Canon calls it).

I know Tom Hogan isn't generally impressed with Nikon turn around.

I think your best bet would be to buy another lens overnight air. Whereas the Canon guy can drive to Ritz/Wolf/Best Buy and probably get a 70-200 f/2.8.

So to answer your question, he's done for a few hours, you're for a day or two! Definitely a difference but the end result is you both had to buy new lenses, his just cost 2X as much ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
You bump into each other and smash each others cameras. Now both your lenses don't auto focus.
You call Pentax.
He calls Canon.
Who is back up and running first?

I've been thinking that Pentax shooters should start a global grass roots Pentax support system.

03-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Don't be so sure. Canon has a VERY small pool of loaner lenses for people in CPS (or whatever Canon calls it).
Pentax doesn't have any such support at all. That's why I was thinking Pentax users should start one.

My brother in law uses Canon and had a flash die during fashion week last month. Of course he jumped a cab and bought one but Canon would have helped if he had called them.

And, you know... Fijifilm gave me my S5 Pro.
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I tend to go with the backdoor canikon funding, wouldn't surprise me at all, but no-one will ever tell you that
That to me is more than likely the case... why would the sponsors let the funding goes to the benefit of the competitor's product?
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I completely agree!

I thought Pentax was starting a professional support service back when the K20D came out? Did they kill it?

I assume they are going to have some sort of professional support service for the 645D!

However, IMO, the 645D rollout is really still just beta. 2 lenses total and very small production availability. Perhaps as they ramp up production things will start changing, or they will just figure if you can buy 2 cameras for the price of 1 you are good with giving up professional support?

Pentax doesn't have any such support at all. That's why I was thinking Pentax users should start one.

My brother in law uses Canon and had a flash die during fashion week last month. Of course he jumped a cab and bought one but Canon would have helped if he had called them.

And, you know... Fijifilm gave me my S5 Pro.

03-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Perhaps as they ramp up production things will start changing, or they will just figure if you can buy 2 cameras for the price of 1 you are good with giving up professional support?
The 645D is a rich guys camera. Pentax doesn't seem to want anything to do with working photographers. And why should they? They make a great enthusiasts product and don't have to deal with all that other stuff. Let Canon and Nikon have the full frame pro DSLR market and Let Mamiya and Hasselblad fight over medium format.

All good.
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #96
Veteran Member

I think the 645D is a real upgrade to the APS sensors. While fools frame is a lot like putting a performance air filter in your car. Sure it might really add 7hp on the engine end, but the real return is like .25 WHP, that is your ain't going any faster and you aren't going to notice a performance difference. The difference between APS and 645 is like putting a turbo in the car, you know it's there!

So in saying that, the 1D and D3X is a rich persons toy, while the 645D is a real upgrade.

Personally, I really like the breakdown of Pentax lineup. You have a well spec'd entry/mid level camera with the K-r, you have a bomber workhorse with high IQ with the K-5, and you have a real upgrade with the 645D.

Now we can argue if fools frame isn't perfect all around depending on the pixel count (low for sports and high ISO, high for landscapes, portraits and whatever else needs high pixel density) and it would be a fair argument. But I kinda like the size/weight/cost advantage of Pentax APS system vs both smaller and larger systems.

BTW, I also like that Pentax doesn't screw us by battling for a pro market. I'm good with lack of support for the price to quality ratio I get from my gear. Remember, even with Hoya putting Pentax prices in line with the competition, Pentax is still about 30% cheaper to build a kit, almost 50% if you compare it to weather sealed L IS lenses.
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #97
Veteran Member

I agree with that. The pro cameras don't produce the Highest IQ though. Not since the Graflex.
I personally like the Nikon pro bodies because you could beat some one to death with one and then get the money post mort shot.
Theyre indestructible and they get the job done.

03-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I personally like the Nikon pro bodies because you could beat some one to death with one and then get the money post mort shot.
Which doesn't address the Brightroom Events issue. They're just as happy if you use plastic Canikon crap bodies. But it's their business, so they can ride to hell in whatever handbasket they desire. Anyone who wants to ride with them is welcome to buy some used plastic crap body and kit lens (abandoned by someone who just HAD to upgrade RIGHT NOW) and go with their program. Hay, it's only money, eh?
03-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Judging by the pictures posted, I wonder if they care what cameras are actually being used. Maybe the Nicanon requirement is a litmus by which to sort the emails.