Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #1

What Metering Mode do you use?

What Metering Mode do you use (and if you want to comment - why)?

I do a lot of focus/recompose with spot focus so I usually use Centre-weighted with AE lock linked to AF lock, though with shadow recovery possible on the K5, I am thinking of unlinking AE & AF lock and possibly switching to Multi-segment Metering. Would love to get some feedback from the Pentaxforums braintrust.

02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Original Poster
Hmm, was trying to set this up as a poll - oh well, the joys of being a newbie.
Basically was wondering which of the following modes you usually shoot in

Multi-segmented Metering (with lenses that support it)
Centre-wieghted Metering
Spot Metering
All manual, all the time - the way God intended.
There is no perfect setting, I mix it up from shot to shot.
Bracketing, baby - storage is cheap and one of the shots is sure to nail it
02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multi segment, and bracketing. Av exposure mode (I want to control the DOF).
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

Quite honestly, it's whatever feels good at the moment.

I constantly change mode, metering, ISO.....

02-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses, I suppose there is no one mode to rule them all so I have another excuse to go out and experiment.
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

with any AF lens I tend to Multi Meter
But since i shoot a lot of old lenses mostly i push the green button and get center weighted
I also shoot sunny 16 a lot on film, and frequently will shoot full manual without metering when it is a lighting situation i'm familiar with (sometimes chimping to adjust)

Oh and I use a hand held incident meter with my MF most of the time
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Multi segment with supported lenses for me. The K10 with centre weighted tended to underexpose about 1 or 1.5 stops, but I find the multi metering pretty good, although I also know when it's going to need a bit of adjustment.

I have an Adaptall 2 Tamrom 70-210 on loan from my dad's treasure chest of old camera stuff too - it's great for quasi- macro - and that I shoot fully manual as the camera isn't able to control the aperture.

Last edited by Northern Soul; 02-08-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added link to review of lens.
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #8

I almost always use multi-segment, and adjust with the exposure compensation when necessary (for example snowy scenes will always mess up the metering so push exposure 1-2 stops)

If my K-x would have a button to quickly change exposure mode I would probably use other modes more but going into the info menu is just too much work most of the time. (my old powershot had that button, I sure miss it)

Last edited by basditz; 02-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not to sound rude, but I use the one I need for the shot I want to take....

black bird in bright sun... spot meter

face in light, but dark elseway... centre weighted

landscape, indoor sports, multi segment...

but if I can... I use a off camera meter... and good amount of the time (with film almost all the time) I just estimate it... I have a card and set and shoot...
02-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Generally centre. Very occasionally multi-segment.
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sambo Quote
Thanks for your responses, I suppose there is no one mode to rule them all so I have another excuse to go out and experiment.
Each has its application and eventually you'll know the most appropriate mode to use just by looking at the scene you want to capture.

I use all three, but mostly matrix.
Matrix for generally well-lit scenes throughout.
Centre particularly for portraiture or specifically centred subject matter.
Spot for exposing the subject in the midst of an unevenly lit scene/background.
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Not to sound rude, but I use the one I need for the shot I want to take....

black bird in bright sun... spot meter

face in light, but dark elseway... centre weighted

landscape, indoor sports, multi segment...

but if I can... I use a off camera meter... and good amount of the time (with film almost all the time) I just estimate it... I have a card and set and shoot...
I didn't find your post rude at all, Icywarm... quite helpful in fact. Exactly the type of answer I was looking for.
02-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Whatever works at any particular point in time. Sometimes that means taking a spot or center or matrix reading, then going manual and staying there. Sometimes that means taking several spot readings and averaging them. Sometimes it means whipping out the old incident-light meter and reading the light, not the subject. Sometimes it means auto-whatever with bracketing.

This is rather like asking, "What lens do you use?" Why, my MacTak 50/4 (1:1) is good for almost everything! But then I'm limited to center-weighted metering. Bother.
02-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Well, I don't know what God intended but I use Spot metering almost exclusively and typically stick to M mode.

02-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #15

Original Poster
For all responders, thanks for the feedback. It seems like multi-segment metering is quite popular. I was often disappointed with it on my K10 and stuck to centre-weighted most of the time , but may have to give it another try, now that I have a K5.

I expected to get a broad range of answers and I certainly have. Metering is one of the areas I would like to improve on and getting an idea of what works for various users in various situations is helpful.