Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Barts Technique test and loving it

The technique works great! You are able to bring the shadow detail way up and Noise is not a problem.

Still a work in progress now I am going to try some water fall scenes.

Are there any cameras out there that do auto ev like the kd with multi exposure?

10-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #2

These look awesome. Can you fill a newb in on what this Technique is? Or where to find the thread on it?
10-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlmightyPentax Quote
These look awesome. Can you fill a newb in on what this Technique is? Or where to find the thread on it?
K10d Multi-exposure mode [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

and> welcome to the forum
10-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

so your cat didnt move at all between those exposures?
the shutter didnt even wake him up!

10-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
After doing it a while he seem to ignore the shutter sound. I did have a grouping where his ears werent sharp becuase he moved them.
10-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

After reading "barts method" im still confused. But i guess it doesnt matter since i have a K100d and not the K10d. is there any way i can do what you guys are doing but have photoshop cs2 do it instead of onboard the camera?
10-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #7

The DPReview thread mentions that it's possible to take a few separate frames and then use Photoshop to average them, but he doesn't because the K10D can do it.

I shall be trying this out with my K100D...
10-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi dwnopep97

My poor-old grey-matter has begun to hurt a great deal, trying to fully grasp the overall concept of this technique, but the resulting images are simply jaw-dropping. What I'm trying to comprehend in fairly basic laymans language is how Bart's technique differs quantifiably/measurably from the HDR technique, which I have yet to experiment with ?
If I understand correctly, the subject matter must obviously remain motionless or very still, as any movement will become all too apparent in the finished image. However, when it all works as intended, then WOW !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-15-2007 at 02:17 AM.
10-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #9

I think you can do something very similar in CS2 by putting all the images in layers, then setting the opacity from bottom to top, 100% (1/1), 50% (1/2), 33% (1/3), 25% (1/4), etc. I could be wrong about the percentages, haven't tried it myself.

Another option is to upgrade to CS3, which should make it a lot easier using image stacks. It should also align the images so you might be able to do this without a tripod. More info at PhotoshopNews: Photoshop News and Information Archive Image Stacks in Photoshop CS3 Extended
10-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwnopep97 Quote

The technique works great! You are able to bring the shadow detail way up and Noise is not a problem.

Still a work in progress now I am going to try some water fall scenes.

Are there any cameras out there that do auto ev like the kd with multi exposure?
Hi,

Nice shot.

I don't know of any other DSLR with this feature, at least in the range $500-2000. Pretty cool.

A question: how many images did you take and what were your settings (ISO, shutter speed?), also, has someone already tryied to use this technique to decompose movements in sport photography?

Might be cool!

Thanks for sharing!
10-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Averaging multiple images in software to improve signal to noise ratio is very common in Astrophotography. Of course, most objects in the night sky appear to move very slowly. This is the only time I've heard of a digital camera doing this internally. Unfortunately my K110D lacks that feature.
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With this pic from that thread...

it comes to mind if that was B&W how 'Ansel Adams'-ian it would be. Interesting...
10-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yes you can do alot of really cool things in photoshop and other good photo editing program. You can do the procedure of layers with different opacities, image combinig with software nois reduction. The whole idea of BARTS technique is getting the same quality picture as all those image edit techniques with out the extra money, time and frustration. Plus when people say they can take 9 pictures and combine them, what kind of storage compacity and computer would you have to buy to process and store 117MB or more per scene you take. Barts technique works well you get about a 60% increase in the shadow area before noise becomes a factor. You can blur water with no extra filters or equipment to buy or carry. You do not need a computer, and if you have one the adjustments are minor. Pentax has given us many tools with the K10 that I can't find on any camera in it price range.

As far as how many shots; well what I have read and able to understand is to get approximately 3 stops of range in the shadows you need to take 9 shots. It averages all the shot from 2-9 against the 1 and removes things like noise patterns that are not in the fist image. I dont claim to know 100% how it works I just can see that it works.
10-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

HDR done through the camera??

So is this like HDR in a round about way???

Kim
10-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
and
Veteran Member

No this is not like HDR, it is more of a way to emulate having an ND filter on your lens. The pictures do not end up looking like HDR.

The problem it solves is when you have a specific long shutter time in mind but you cannot achieve it. Lets say you see a waterfall and you think "ah, a 6 second exposure of that would look cool" but at iso 100 and f16 the shutter is only 1 second, meaning that if you force it to be 6 second it will be 5 seconds too much and it will be completely overexposed.

if you had an ND filter you could put that in front of the lens and it would reduce the light coming and and allow you longer shutter time without blowing the pictures. but if you know have one then this method can give you a similar result by taking 6 1 second pictures.