Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do I need DSLR for landscape?

Just wondering, does EVIL a better choice for daytime landscape?

Giving you a background, I typically carry two DSLR, one with 10-20mm and another with 70-200mm. I was thinking, can I offload 10-20mm from regular usage without compromising the quality.

Here is my thoughts - For daytime landscape, one wont usually need high ISO performance. So even a small sensor camera should suffice. Secondly, shallow DoF is not an requirement for landscape and small sensor camera would do the job (or even NEX-5).

What's your opinion? Which camera would you suggest?

02-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your K-X is already almost as small as a 4/3s, so why bother? You won't get any performance benefit and it won't be lens compatible with what you already have.
02-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Sigma dp1x

For WA landscape shots, I would consider sigma dp1x with the foveon sensor. Just search the internet for some shots and make your mind
02-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
For WA landscape shots, I would consider sigma dp1x with the foveon sensor. Just search the internet for some shots and make your mind
That is one expensive point and shoot. I looked at a few photos, they look good, so do a lot of other photos. Until someone puts up a foveon shot side by side with a traditional cmos or ccd and shows me how it's better, the foveon will remain an interesting (but expensive) curiosity. I would love to have a Sigma camera for comparison, but, I'm not going to buy one for the privilege. Even from Henry's, they don't have them in the stores, you have to order it, pay for it, and then return it if you don't like it.

But as I always say... convince me. Despite my interest, Sigma has done a really lousy job of convincing me.

02-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

To compare check out this

A Field Review of the Sigma DP1x Darwin Wiggett
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
To compare check out this

A Field Review of the Sigma DP1x Darwin Wiggett
The tests are impressive as far as they go... but, a number of points. He used the same PP on all images, that is bound to favour one camera over another. The question is, given optimum PP, can you achieve the same results for both cameras. I could care less about what comes off the camera and goes through a "standardized" PP. The most impressive test was the one where one looked at the shadow detail, but, I have no doubt a K5 out performs all of those cameras in EVs. ANd it's impressive , the sharpness test against the the Canon t2i but the lens he used, looking at the reviews, at f 11 that lens is well past it's peak sharpness, which is darn near perfect at f4. Why wouldn't he one do the sharpness test where the canon lens is sharpest if he's trying to make a point.

I don't know what the sharpest resolution for the DPD1x is but I'm suspicious it's f11, making this a comparison of one system at it's sharpest against another that's well past it's sharpest resolving f stop.. It's also rather unnerving to see such a highly rated lens so easily trounced by the lens on a point and shoot.

Or as Jack Bauer would say... "something's not right here."

So, thanks for the review, but, in the end, I'm still suspicious.
02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

Maybe you are right about the sharpnes and the lens used, but the size of the camera was the issue. And the dp1x gets dslr results in a tiny body (compared to a dslr) of a point and shoot camera, no huge lens or body. I hope pentax would come out with an evil camera, bucause the pancake lens line up of pentax is the best

02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do a "Ken Rockwell" and go get an old Graflex 4x5.
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And the dp1x gets dslr results in a tiny body (compared to a dslr) of a point and shoot camera, no huge lens or body

Good point. There's nothing in there that says a DP1x would be a bad choice either, and given a choice, someday I will check out a fovien sensor.

IN theory it should kick butt. I just can't tell whether it hasn't caught on because of bad marketing, high cost, or lack of technical merit. I've been following fovien since their inception years ago, and have yet to be in a position to actually touch a camera with a fovien sensor in it, forget about run some side by side tests to see if it outperforms a traditional sensor.

And bottom line, I don't care much about what this guys did. He didn't seem to be really interested in the camera. I'd like to take some side by side shots and see if I can do better with a fovien than I can with a CMOS /CCD.

QuoteQuote:
Do a "Ken Rockwell" and go get an old Graflex 4x5.
Do they make those in digital? But ya, it was my dream for years.

Or an Ansel Adams with his 8x10 and his mule.
02-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do they make those in digital
Yeah. They're as much as a C class though!
02-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For maximum resolution, get an 8x20 inch pano view.cam. I saw one recently for ~US$400.

For maximum HANDHELD resolution, get a 6x9 folder and a film scanner. It can't be beat.

For maximum handheld DIGITAL resolution, get a Pentax 645D. But that costs a bit.

For maximum handheld digital AFFORDABLE resolution, get a K20D. They're cheap now.

For the best landscape images, take some painting classes. Art should be real personal.
02-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For maximum resolution, get an 8x20 inch pano view.cam. I saw one recently for ~US$400.

For maximum HANDHELD resolution, get a 6x9 folder and a film scanner. It can't be beat.

For maximum handheld DIGITAL resolution, get a Pentax 645D. But that costs a bit.

For maximum handheld digital AFFORDABLE resolution, get a K20D. They're cheap now.

For the best landscape images, take some painting classes. Art should be real personal.
K20D/645D/Scanner/view.cam all bigger than my k-x so no use
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I understand where you are coming from. And pardon if I sound curt but I am not trying to be so.
But I wonder why we get so tied up in technology.
You've mentioned you are walking around with two camera bodies and associated lenses.

I admire the folks who in the past captured great images with what they had at hand. Why should it be any different today.

I find myself getting all worked up with the technology of it all and forget the basics. Maybe that is something we should reexamine. It might be best to find the best fit of the equipment at hand and do with it the most we can.
Just my thoughts.
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Was it for me? if so, well, I am just trying to use small camera wherever possible without sacrificing much...it's sometime much easier to handle a large lens and large cam when your other cam is much smaller to handle, isn't?
02-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You can make some great panorama photos with M4/3 just the same as you can with a decent t P&S, but considering what bodies and lenses you have currently, I would never ever consider trading them in for something else just for the sake of ' you can".

Jason