Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Computer upgrade advice

Hello everyone. Looking to upgrade my old MacBook Pro. It's old and slow enough that I don't edit photos on it, but rather my much newer, faster work computer. I'm looking at buying an iMac with a 3.2Ghz i3 processor and the standard 4GB of RAM (can easily add more later if needed). I'll be running LR3 on it. For any of you using LR3, do you think the i3 is sufficient, or do you recommend the i5? As much as I would love going quad core, the price different is pretty substantial, so I'd prefer staying i3. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

02-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
As much as I would love going quad core, the price different is pretty substantial, so I'd prefer staying i3. Let me know what you think.
I found a site that broke this down in terms of computing power, I wish I'd kept the link. The i5 is substantially better in terms of computing power than the i3. There's about a 60% jump, and then there's another 40% jump going to an i7. As with all things Mac, the bigger systems though more expensive in original cost, are a much better deal if you break down what you're buying in units of processing power. In terms of pure processing power, the i3 is the most expensive, the i5 in the middle and the i7 gets you the most bang per buck,

That being said, there have been lots of times I bought low end Macs because I just couldn't afford anything more. It's a question of what you can afford, and how you divide your resources is always pretty much a personal decision. Only you know what you'd have to give up to move up, and what that would mean to you.
02-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Well no matter what CPU you get, avoid iMac at all cost just IMHO, buy the new MacBook Pro instead.

Never have any problems with the MacBook Pro, but my friend's three iMacs all have the vertical color lines on the LCD screen. The LCDs are dying. Not a good news.
02-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I found a site that broke this down in terms of computing power, I wish I'd kept the link. The i5 is substantially better in terms of computing power than the i3. There's about a 60% jump, and then there's another 40% jump going to an i7. As with all things Mac, the bigger systems though more expensive in original cost, are a much better deal if you break down what you're buying in units of processing power. In terms of pure processing power, the i3 is the most expensive, the i5 in the middle and the i7 gets you the most bang per buck,

That being said, there have been lots of times I bought low end Macs because I just couldn't afford anything more. It's a question of what you can afford, and how you divide your resources is always pretty much a personal decision. Only you know what you'd have to give up to move up, and what that would mean to you.
Interesting about the faster processors being the better deal. I guess what I'm curious about more is if LR3 will run well on the i3 platform. I know it more than meets system requirements, but that doesn't always mean it will run "well".

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Well no matter what CPU you get, avoid iMac at all cost just IMHO, buy the new MacBook Pro instead.

Never have any problems with the MacBook Pro, but my friend's three iMacs all have the vertical color lines on the LCD screen. The LCDs are dying. Not a good news.
I have not hear any complaints about the LCD on the iMacs going out. That is something I'll research though. I have a 15" MacBook Pro right now, but I've been editing photos on my work computer that has 24" monitors. I really like that extra revenue.

02-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

I'd recommend a MacBook Pro as well, with a quality external monitor. I think any of the modern processors are more than powerful enough to run photographic software, it's video editing that eats your CPU.

Oh, and you may as well bump up your RAM now.
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 13 inch, and it runs Lightroom 3, and the Adobe Production Suite (including photoshop and after effects with little to no performance issues). A faster computer would be nice, but is unnecessary unless you plan on editing entire movies on it. I did, however, have a problem with the 5400 rpm harddrive that comes stock, and replaced it with a 7200rpm harddrive with higher storage as well.
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
I'd recommend a MacBook Pro as well, with a quality external monitor. I think any of the modern processors are more than powerful enough to run photographic software, it's video editing that eats your CPU.

Oh, and you may as well bump up your RAM now.
I do some video editing, but only occasionally. Mostly all photos and Garageband. Thanks for the idea of the external monitor. Have to say I never thought about that. Still means extra $ though.

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 13 inch, and it runs Lightroom 3, and the Adobe Production Suite (including photoshop and after effects with little to no performance issues). A faster computer would be nice, but is unnecessary unless you plan on editing entire movies on it. I did, however, have a problem with the 5400 rpm harddrive that comes stock, and replaced it with a 7200rpm harddrive with higher storage as well.
Good to know you don't have probs with the 13" MacBook Pro. A hard drive replacement wouldn't be a bad idea, for the speed and the space. Thanks for the suggestion.

02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So no one uses the iMac, huh? That is interesting. I've done a little reading and the LCD problem seems to be more with the older models. However, I am at work and haven't looked extensively into the reviews right now.

You guys may sway me to the MacBook Pro side again, however I'd still be interested in hearing additional thoughts on the iMac.

Thanks for all the responses!
02-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

Besides the LCD problem, iMac may have the DVD-ROM drive problem. My friend's three iMacs (again) all have non-working DVD-ROM drives. Maybe the new model will be better.
However, think this way, a MacBook Pro plus a Dell IPS LCD is much better than iMac, and you keep the portability. Even the resale value is good. For iMac, once the LCD dies, you have nowhere to go.
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest advantage the iMac has over the MacBook Pro is that the iMac has an IPS display. Whatever you do wait a few weeks. The current rumor is that the MacBook Pro is going to get an upgrade around March 1st. IPS displays might be part of the upgrade.
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Besides the LCD problem, iMac may have the DVD-ROM drive problem. My friend's three iMacs (again) all have non-working DVD-ROM drives. Maybe the new model will be better.
However, think this way, a MacBook Pro plus a Dell IPS LCD is much better than iMac, and you keep the portability. Even the resale value is good. For iMac, once the LCD dies, you have nowhere to go.
I really like the idea. I guess my main problem with that is a MacBook Pro + a Dell IPS LCD monitor is going to cost a lot more than an iMac. However, I realize that is a personal problem. Your point is well taken though.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The biggest advantage the iMac has over the MacBook Pro is that the iMac has an IPS display. Whatever you do wait a few weeks. The current rumor is that the MacBook Pro is going to get an upgrade around March 1st. IPS displays might be part of the upgrade.
I won't be buying anything for at least a couple of weeks anyway. Gotta wait for the tax return money to come in first.
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
I'm looking at buying an iMac with a 3.2Ghz i3 processor and the standard 4GB of RAM (can easily add more later if needed).
We recently got the lowest model imac for my wife, and it works fantastic - however, there's one caveat. It was really dogging when we first got it until we added 8GB of RAM to take it to 12GB total - runs like a champ now.