Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice Nicole. You're officially a wedding photographer.

I think you see, now, the value of the flash gun!

02-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, it would've been a lot easier with a proper flash. Can't wait til mine arrives!
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #63
Veteran Member

all the best with practicing with the flash! Sure you will you well.
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Yeah, it would've been a lot easier with a proper flash. Can't wait til mine arrives!
You used the pop up on a couple.
Welcome to the "dark side"!

04-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought after all the drama you might like to see photos! A reminder that this was my first proper wedding and that I had to shoot with pop-up flash lol. The metz flash arrived 2 days afterwards :/ I ended up shooting most of it on my own, the pro tog hired did the formal wedding shots and more of the ceremony.

Some of Emma + Rod's wedding! | Facebook

Facebook
04-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice work Nic

looks like a lot of work to PP the images
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It wasn't actually I just applied a preset to them and that was pretty much it. Most of the work was the actual photographing.

04-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nic:

Good job on the candids. Now you just need to work with the portraits and formals and you are in the wedding gig! My best advice, go to libraries/bookstores and pick up stuff on wedding photography. Learn now before it's too late!

Then practice on the portraits with ANYONE. You will gain experience with the flash, which is crucial.

Good luck!
04-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, Nicole. It looks like a happy wedding and you got some good shots of the participants. I'm sure that they will treasure them.

I've been thinking lately about our perceptions of what makes a good shot compared with what the general populace likes. We can be super-critical and if there's one eyelash out of focus or the composition doesn't meet all the rules, the photo is just a snapshot. When it comes to making memories for people with photos, I think that capturing the feelings is much more important than technical excellence. Technical excellence doesn't hurt, but that's not what most of the punters are looking for.

I looked at your shots of the wedding and thought that you had captured the feeling and that the people will love your photos. I'm not qualified to make informed comment.

By the way, how is it that ordinary looking blokes get hot babes?

Richard.
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not so sure I want to do weddings, I loved being able to do the candids, but my back was killing for a week afterwards

Richard I agree, I know my shots aren't all perfect, but I'm also not a pro and they knew that when they asked me to do them. They were very happy with what I did and felt I captured the day for them, so I'm happy with that. I did it for free and to gain experience But yes, at events I think it's more important (personally) to be able to capture the moment. I was reading a book on photography and they said that sometimes, it wasn't about getting a technically perfect shot, it was about actually getting the shot. In any case for 9 months of shooting I think I did ok.

Haha I have no idea why that is. I've known Emma since high school and she worried that she would never get married. He's a really lovely bloke and she's just as lovely. But I look at her and think, damn you've aged way better than me! lol.
04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #71
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's both Nicole - be there for the shot, shoot to exemplify the subject and capture the emotions of the event.
Weddings are not for everyone - I for one love them, and enjoy the entire process.
With more experience, you gain confidence.
So if you're keen on them, keep practicing where you can, and you'll get a feel for what gear you need and how to do it well as a primary shooter.