Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Does a Garden which belongs to a city council count as a public place?

Since it is open to everyone I suppose so, what are my rights in the UK? Can I shoot freely within this historical garden? It's a historical park which dates back to 1550 and was recently renovated.

02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I subscribe to the "it's more productive to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission" philosophy.
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who's going to give you a hard time shooting in a garden?
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Who's going to give you a hard time shooting in a garden?
I shot a fountain so...

02-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
As a rule all council owned spaces such as parks are public areas. If you have any doubt just go to the local council and ask them and even tell them what you are wanting to do. It would only be a jobs worth council who would refuse.
02-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snaphappyscottiedog Quote
As a rule all council owned spaces such as parks are public areas. If you have any doubt just go to the local council and ask them and even tell them what you are wanting to do. It would only be a jobs worth council who would refuse.
Thanks, so this means if I shoot images in a Park or other space owned by them I am allowed to put my work in an art gallery at some point? (Not that I am ready yet or anywhere close.)
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Thanks, so this means if I shoot images in a Park or other space owned by them I am allowed to put my work in an art gallery at some point? (Not that I am ready yet or anywhere close.)

the answer is yes for the art gallery. if there is people yes for the gallery (AFAIK - I've not had an issue and I've had a couple of shows) but for publication (advertising/corporate etc) you need model releases and in some cases property release for identifiable buildings (good luck getting one for the Eiffel Tower for instance they seriously control their image - but I've sold Eiffel Tower shots at art shows) unless it is for editorial and it was shot in a place with no reasonable expectation of privacy (public place, a concert, a football match.... etc